Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Quick question folks.

I have recently had to complete a Health and safety questionnaire for work that was issued by a client. Generally, this is a fairly standard document that assesses our H&S management system, but today I had a new question.

"How will you improve the wellbeing of your staff and operatives working in the Partnership? Provide details of specific wellbeing initiatives or processes currently implemented by your organisation and any planned improvements for the next 24 months."

Having a quick look online, I assume this is referring to things such as stress, anxiety and mental health, as we already cover, in great detail the physical side of health and safety.

Has anyone had a work related issue, and how did the company respond? Is anyone involved in such an initiative? How did it help?

I know there are lots of forums out there specifically for this type of question, but I'd like some insight from fellow blues if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Mum has died. She passed away at 5pm. She chose to go which I'm glad about, as the situation was hopeless and the hospital were only prolonging the inevitable. Dad managed to get there in time, and was holding her hand when she went. I'm travelling over now to be with him. It's a surreal feeling, knowing that I'll never speak to her again.
Take it easy mate, think of the good times.

Quick question folks.

I have recently had to complete a Health and safety questionnaire for work that was issued by a client. Generally, this is a fairly standard document that assesses our H&S management system, but today I had a new question.

"How will you improve the wellbeing of your staff and operatives working in the Partnership? Provide details of specific wellbeing initiatives or processes currently implemented by your organisation and any planned improvements for the next 24 months."

Having a quick look online, I assume this is referring to things such as stress, anxiety and mental health, as we already cover, in great detail the physical side of health and safety.

Has anyone had a work related issue, and how did the company respond? Is anyone involved in such an initiative? How did it help?

I know there are lots of forums out there specifically for this type of question, but I'd like some insight from fellow blues if possible.

Thanks in advance.
@anjelikaferrett is the expert on stuff like this ?

Serious question for those with lot more knowledge than me. Is it possible to live with someone with bi polar disorders. Split up with my partner recently and though I feel a pang of guilt in ending it. But I could not handle the moodswings, accusations of cheating and most of all the violence
All classic traits I would imagine but for sake of both of us something had to give

Serious question for those with lot more knowledge than me. Is it possible to live with someone with bi polar disorders. Split up with my partner recently and though I feel a pang of guilt in ending it. But I could not handle the moodswings, accusations of cheating and most of all the violence
All classic traits I would imagine but for sake of both of us something had to give

I`d say yes if they take their meds and keep in touch with the health care professionals that support them and no of they don`t.

As much you love them mate, you`re not their carer.

Sorry to be blunt x

Quick question folks.

Thanks in advance.
It's a huge thing at the moment - mental health and well being at work. You need to look at things like does your company have a counselling service that the employees can access should they need to. If not is there anybody who can signpost them to organisations that could help? Do you have a stress policy? When a person who is suffering from stress returns to work does the company do a stress risk assessment to find out if there is anything they can do to help the employee? What's the policy on holidays and work/life balance- are people actively encouraged to take their holidays or is working long unpaid extra hours part of the culture and expected. How does the company deal with bullying - is it ignored or actively dealt with.(slightly off topic if you are ever bullied and mediation is offered don't do it. It isn't the right forum to deal with it) Do employees know who to speak to if they are being bullied. Is it OK to talk about feeling stressed? We have just trained some mental health first aiders who are supposed to be able to recognise signs of stress in their colleagues and if somebody is having a mental health crisis (don't know if that's the right word) the mental health first aiders are supposed to be able to assist them to stay calm until the appropriate medics arrive.

I'm currently helping a person who has been diagnosed with work place stress. She went to Occupational health who suggested that she be given paid time off to attend counselling appointments, we have regular meetings with her line manager to discuss how she feels and if there is anything else that can be put in place. She is allowed micro breaks if she starts to feel stressed where she can just go somewhere quiet and use some of the coping strategies she has been given to help her. Unfortunately her coping strategy is sitting in the disabled loo and crying. Not great.

Hope this helps.

I`d say yes if they take their meds and keep in touch with the health care professionals that support them and no of they don`t.

As much you love them mate, you`re not their carer.

Sorry to be blunt x
Not blunt at all mate. Have done motivational interviewing in the past so have a knowledge of personality disorders. Irony is that I still work in social care and felt I was doing 2 full time jobs

Not blunt at all mate. Have done motivational interviewing in the past so have a knowledge of personality disorders. Irony is that I still work in social care and felt I was doing 2 full time jobs

One of my oldest mates is bipolar and she`s had two lengthy hospital stays with it in the past.

When she get`s properly manic, she`s completely un manageable, but fortunately through counselling and meds, she knows when it`s coming now and how to deal with it.

If your ex partner isn`t taking her meds mate, that`s down to her and not for you to pick up the pieces.

One of my oldest mates is bipolar and she`s had two lengthy hospital stays with it in the past.

When she get`s properly manic, she`s completely un manageable, but fortunately through counselling and meds, she knows when it`s coming now and how to deal with it.

If your ex partner isn`t taking her meds mate, that`s down to her and not for you to pick up the pieces.

She had carrier bags literally full of meds so it was hard to keep cap on what she was taking. Hard to give someone an ultimatum but I felt strict boundaries were needed. Hopefully one day she will have recovered enough to see there was no other choice.

It's a huge thing at the moment - mental health and well being at work. You need to look at things like does your company have a counselling service that the employees can access should they need to. If not is there anybody who can signpost them to organisations that could help? Do you have a stress policy? When a person who is suffering from stress returns to work does the company do a stress risk assessment to find out if there is anything they can do to help the employee? What's the policy on holidays and work/life balance- are people actively encouraged to take their holidays or is working long unpaid extra hours part of the culture and expected. How does the company deal with bullying - is it ignored or actively dealt with.(slightly off topic if you are ever bullied and mediation is offered don't do it. It isn't the right forum to deal with it) Do employees know who to speak to if they are being bullied. Is it OK to talk about feeling stressed? We have just trained some mental health first aiders who are supposed to be able to recognise signs of stress in their colleagues and if somebody is having a mental health crisis (don't know if that's the right word) the mental health first aiders are supposed to be able to assist them to stay calm until the appropriate medics arrive.

I'm currently helping a person who has been diagnosed with work place stress. She went to Occupational health who suggested that she be given paid time off to attend counselling appointments, we have regular meetings with her line manager to discuss how she feels and if there is anything else that can be put in place. She is allowed micro breaks if she starts to feel stressed where she can just go somewhere quiet and use some of the coping strategies she has been given to help her. Unfortunately her coping strategy is sitting in the disabled loo and crying. Not great.

Hope this helps.

Yes sir, that helps a lot. As a small civil engineering company, we do practice a lot of what you've mentioned. I guess we need to document it correctly spread awareness throughout the company. I really appreciate you taking the time out to point me in the right direction. ;)

mate I stopped speaking to my own mum (and by extension most of my family) xmas 2016, because of it

starting being very erratic and nasty a few months before and my brother said he thinks shes not been taking her meds, and then it all blew up on xmas day

literally havnt spoken to one of them since (even my bro, they all took her side for an easy life)

im happy though, they are going to be the ones who lose out because they have a grandchild on the way they don't even know about

the one thing you need to remember, and I find it hard to do myself, its the illness not the person, but if the person is happy for the destruction that follows, then they need to take some responsibility too

Mum has died. She passed away at 5pm. She chose to go which I'm glad about, as the situation was hopeless and the hospital were only prolonging the inevitable. Dad managed to get there in time, and was holding her hand when she went. I'm travelling over now to be with him. It's a surreal feeling, knowing that I'll never speak to her again.

I am very sorry to read this. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

mate I stopped speaking to my own mum (and by extension most of my family) xmas 2016, because of it

starting being very erratic and nasty a few months before and my brother said he thinks shes not been taking her meds, and then it all blew up on xmas day

literally havnt spoken to one of them since (even my bro, they all took her side for an easy life)

im happy though, they are going to be the ones who lose out because they have a grandchild on the way they don't even know about

the one thing you need to remember, and I find it hard to do myself, its the illness not the person, but if the person is happy for the destruction that follows, then they need to take some responsibility too

You`re spot on about taking responsibility there mate.

What I found with my mate, was that she start to feel better / normal ( which was down to the meds ), she`d stop taking them without telling anyone and the BOOM it`d all blew up again.

It was only after she`d been hospitalised that she realised how selfish she had been and the grief she was causing.