Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I know this is crazy, but I'm really heartbroken after my dog had to be put to sleep on Saturday after being sick for a while. We really thought we could save him, but one night he really started to get unwell and my missus took to him to the emergency vet and we decided to end his misery. For over thirteen years he had been with us through tick and thin, and we feel like we let him down. Now we are on holiday with our little girl and we try to put on a brave face, but it's really hard, and we feel like we are letting her down as well. I guess time will heal us, but goddamn how we loved the guy!

I know this is crazy, but I'm really heartbroken after my dog had to be put to sleep on Saturday after being sick for a while. We really thought we could save him, but one night he really started to get unwell and my missus took to him to the emergency vet and we decided to end his misery. For over thirteen years he had been with us through tick and thin, and we feel like we let him down. Now we are on holiday with our little girl and we try to put on a brave face, but it's really hard, and we feel like we are letting her down as well. I guess time will heal us, but goddamn how we loved the guy!
Take some comfort that you gave him a good life, mate!

I had a dog that died when she was only 3 a few years ago. Absolutely rocked the entire family. We were all devastated. It'll get better with time.

Hi mate, if you go to pages 553/554 of this thread you'll find others sharing similar experiences of grief after their dogs have passed, may be of comfort / help to you.

Our pup was run over a few weeks ago and my eldest lad made himself ill with grief, to the point of us being quite worried about him. We bit the bullet and got a new dog. Once he got over the feelings of guilt, he's well on the way to being back to his old self now.

It really is like losing a family member x

Not crazy at all. Dogs are a part of the family, and a particularly loving, non-judgemental part of the family at that. You need time to grieve and that's totally normal. Hopefully that pain will fade and you will be able to remember all the fun things about him, the little quirks, and remember the time you had together with happiness- perhaps you and your daughter could write a list together of fun moments you had with him, funny things he used to do, and put it somewhere safe (e.g. a jar)- then when she/ you are missing him, you can take out the list and remember some happy moments.

Understand...I personally can't stand groups/small talk in the best of times.
Hope you can work through whatever is weighing on you and you are quickly back to your suave networking best.

Wednesday night is therapy night. Slowly slowly :) Thanks for the advice though. Problem shared and all that :)

Perfectly natural mate.

Anything outside the old comfort zone can make you uneasy.

Don't normally mind them, but this month has been utterly hopeless.