Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

So I broke my hip. like REALLY broke my hip in a couple spots 2 weeks ago. Im surprisingly ok but keep getting weird mental things. I know, it's a big deal especially since I ALSO just left my job and started my own business.

Just want to vent. My wife thinks a lot worse when I mention this stuff to her lately so don't want to burden her.
Get well soon mate, I know it’s bad but it sounds like it could have been worse - you’re still here living & breathing.

Just take the recovery one day at a time, and control the controllables.

So I broke my hip. like REALLY broke my hip in a couple spots 2 weeks ago. Im surprisingly ok but keep getting weird mental things. I know, it's a big deal especially since I ALSO just left my job and started my own business.

Just want to vent. My wife thinks a lot worse when I mention this stuff to her lately so don't want to burden her.
So sorry to read this. Post loads if you need to get things off your chest without worrying your wife. My very best wishes for a speedy recovery.💙

Hi All.

Long time lurker but first time poster in this fantastic thread.

Long story short but around six weeks ago I got blackout drunk whilst on a weekend away at a gig in Amsterdam and took the best part of a week to get over it. This is not a common occurrence and being in such a state is not something I have done since I was probably at Uni.

A few weeks had passed, and I began to feel back to normal again, before becoming triggered by seeing a sign in a train station of all places regarding drunken behaviour.

This then sent me into a pretty severe state of panic. Despite having previously spoken to the lads I was with at the gig that I had not acted untoward or done anything wrong, I found myself contacting them again to confirm that this was definitely the case. Of which of course they all did and confirmed that I was perfectly normal on the night etc.

Since then though I have still been having waves of guilt and unease and find myself now creating scenarios that “must have happened”. Even though a fortnight ago I hadn’t really given it a second thought.

Apologies for the long read but just wondering if anyone else had ever suffered similar in terms of intrusive thoughts/fabricating scenarios in your head and any tips for how to manage them.

Hi All.

Long story short but around six weeks ago I got blackout drunk whilst on a weekend away at a gig in Amsterdam and took the best part of a week to get over it. This is not a common occurrence and being in such a state is not something I have done since I was probably at Uni.

A few weeks had passed, and I began to feel back to normal again, before becoming triggered by seeing a sign in a train station of all places regarding drunken behaviour.

This then sent me into a pretty severe state of panic. Despite having previously spoken to the lads I was with at the gig that I had not acted untoward or done anything wrong, I found myself contacting them again to confirm that this was definitely the case. Of which of course they all did and confirmed that I was perfectly normal on the night etc.

Since then though I have still been having waves of guilt and unease and find myself now creating scenarios that “must have happened”. Even though a fortnight ago I hadn’t really given it a second thought.

Apologies for the long read but just wondering if anyone else had ever suffered similar in terms of intrusive thoughts/fabricating scenarios in your head and any tips for how to manage them.
You've got to trust your mates, if they are saying you were fine (but blattered) then you were most likely fine. Remember, mates love give each other a hard time when they do something, you would have heard about it.

And, remember, what's done is done, there isn't any changing anything in the past. I still deal with replaying scenarios in my head and getting quasi panic attacks but they are just what you describe them as: intrusive thoughts.

The mind is a seriously complicated and messed up thing. It can fabricate memories out of nowhere that you know are 100% real. Try to look at these situations and think about them in a joking/stupid way. "Yeah, IMAGINE I did that! lolz". Making fun of the intrusive thoughts is something that I have found to work personally.

Your are right tho, this is a fantastic thread.

People may remember about 3-4 years ago I was suffering with PTSD and related depression. Took a lot of work to recover but I did it. Went back to work as a Mental health Nurse (were I got the PTSD from). Anyway lots of changes in my life since then including the break down of my marriage. I've stayed mostly well, getting through my days with routine and exercise (deffo use the exercise best medicine, although I'm no fitness freak, just a 50 year old man trying not to be fat).

Anyway way on the last day of a weeks holiday in Crete. All I've done is rest by the pool and ate and drank. Fully relaxed, it took this week to realise I needed a break. So my advice is to stop and take time out of whatever is going on in your life. Even if it's for a few minutes. It's a few minutes you don't feel like crap.

Oh no. That's awful - and rubbish timing. Just concentrate on getting well. Can you do any aspects of your new business while you are laid up. Get well soon x

Ouch. Hope you have a speedy recovery mate.

Hi All.

Not to make light of your situation but i do that every weekend mate regarding blackout drunk

You where in amsterdam at a gig you wont be the only one whos drunk

Plus who cares you wont see any of them people again in your life

Dont worry, chill out and look forward

You've got to trust your mates, if they are saying you were fine (but blattered) then you were most likely fine. Remember, mates love give each other a hard time when they do something, you would have heard about it.

And, remember, what's done is done, there isn't any changing anything in the past. I still deal with replaying scenarios in my head and getting quasi panic attacks but they are just what you describe them as: intrusive thoughts.

The mind is a seriously complicated and messed up thing. It can fabricate memories out of nowhere that you know are 100% real. Try to look at these situations and think about them in a joking/stupid way. "Yeah, IMAGINE I did that! lolz". Making fun of the intrusive thoughts is something that I have found to work personally.

Your are right tho, this is a fantastic thread.
Ah, the FEAR.

Or drug or alcohol induced anxiety. Had it myself after going mad on the booze after abstinence. Booze is bad stuff if I'm honest. Odds are you've done nowt wrong.

I went out for a work away day in London on Thursday, which was free drink all day. I was fairly drunk by the end, but manageable.

When I left it all hit me, I got really confused and couldn't remember where I was. Which obviously worried my gf loads. I don't know what happened, it was really weird. I sat down for 5 mins and then was fine again and managed to get the underground and train home ok

My gf is fuming at me, and rightly so as I can see why she was so worried etc

Now she wants to cut alcohol nearly completely out of our lives. Obviously I can see massive benefits of it, but as most alcohol/pubs have been such a big part of my life I honestly think I'd struggle a lot, as pathetic as it sounds. Even the idea of telling people I'm stopping/not drinking much worries me

Is it easier than it sounds? Even if it doesn't fully materialise as giving up completely, I do want to stop for a few weeks.. something I have never really done before