Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Well, Frank wasn't the only one to get canned today.

So apologies for the cryptic post there. But I got an invite from my boss and the company owner for a meeting on Wednesday at which, im 99% sure, im getting fired.

I've been with the company 18 months now and whilst I'm popular with colleagues and clients seem happy with my work, me and my boss have never seen eye to eye. He thinks I dont take things seriously enough, I think he takes everything too seriously. We had a big problem 2 weeks ago also.

I'm reasonably comfortable with the outcome. I can't change that. What is driving me crazy is the 48 hour wait before the meeting and imagining how its going to go. I'm also stressing massively about the future. No sleep last night and not sure how I'm supposed to motivate myself the next 2 days.

So apologies for the cryptic post there. But I got an invite from my boss and the company owner for a meeting on Wednesday at which, im 99% sure, im getting fired.

I've been with the company 18 months now and whilst I'm popular with colleagues and clients seem happy with my work, me and my boss have never seen eye to eye. He thinks I dont take things seriously enough, I think he takes everything too seriously. We had a big problem 2 weeks ago also.

I'm reasonably comfortable with the outcome. I can't change that. What is driving me crazy is the 48 hour wait before the meeting and imagining how it’s going to go. I'm also stressing massively about the future. No sleep last night and not sure how I'm supposed to motivate myself the next 2 days.
Was just about to ask what happened re your first post. Waiting and not knowing is torture but remember time is passing and you will soon know one way or the other. Best wishes.?

Was just about to ask what happened re your first post. Waiting and not knowing is torture but remember time is passing and you will soon know one way or the other. Best wishes.?

I've actually never felt 100% relaxed there. I always had issues with how they ran the place and felt somewhat insecure. I should just grit my teeth and think of the severance, but nobody likes to wait two days to spend an hour being told they're crap at their job, right?

I'm reasonably comfortable with the outcome. I can't change that. What is driving me crazy is the 48 hour wait before the meeting and imagining how its going to go. I'm also stressing massively about the future. No sleep last night and not sure how I'm supposed to motivate myself the next 2 days.
That's rubbish. If you are OK with your suspected outcome then so be it but having said that don't make it easy for them. You say you are good at your job and your clients like you, so what's the issue? A personality clash with your boss is no reason for you to be dismissed. Take evidence of your boss's behaviour towards you. At least try to get some money out of them as a severance package.
Obviously I don't know where you live but look up what employment rights you have regarding holiday pay, notice periods etc- unless you are in the US who don't seem to have any of that.

That's rubbish. If you are OK with your suspected outcome then so be it but having said that don't make it easy for them. You say you are good at your job and your clients like you, so what's the issue? A personality clash with your boss is no reason for you to be dismissed. Take evidence of your boss's behaviour towards you. At least try to get some money out of them as a severance package.
Obviously I don't know where you live but look up what employment rights you have regarding holiday pay, notice periods etc- unless you are in the US who don't seem to have any of that.

We have a weird setup where they say its a totally flat structure apart from the 2 owners. In practice, that means they make the decisions based on the opinions of about 5 people. One of which is my boss (you see how weird this is?). So if he says I'm gone, im gone. The rest of the flat structure (the people who do all the work) don't count. You may be beginning to see my issue here.

Based on other people they've got rid of, I'll end up with 3 months salary. So it could be worse. Its just knowing that I'm going to have to spend an hour being kicked about my performance before they put me out of my misery.

We have a weird setup where they say its a totally flat structure apart from the 2 owners. In practice, that means they make the decisions based on the opinions of about 5 people. One of which is my boss (you see how weird this is?). So if he says I'm gone, im gone. The rest of the flat structure (the people who do all the work) don't count. You may be beginning to see my issue here.

Based on other people they've got rid of, I'll end up with 3 months salary. So it could be worse. Its just knowing that I'm going to have to spend an hour being kicked about my performance before they put me out of my misery.
Take control of the situation.Say at the start ' are we here to dismiss me. If we are let's not beat around the bush. What are you offering me? If we are not please continue' It's worth a shot!?

I've actually never felt 100% relaxed there. I always had issues with how they ran the place and felt somewhat insecure. I should just grit my teeth and think of the severance, but nobody likes to wait two days to spend an hour being told they're crap at their job, right?
Totally agree no one likes to be kept waiting and the firm have not handled the situation well. Sorry if you misunderstood me, I wasn’t being dismissive of your feelings.

Can you tell us what it is you or your company do?