Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Aha I think might an age thing! She knows her and we all used to go out as a group when I was finish with my ex but with my current gf

That's happened the other way around too. We've always been open about that kind of thing, I don't think I could be with someone who isn't tbh. Sex is everywhere and if people say they only like one person in the world, that's a form of cheating in itself in my opinion

Must admit the fear of a good clobbering with a frying pan if I dared sniff around an ex certainly helps keep me in line lol

Dont know how you do it lad

Bit of an update since it's been around 2 weeks now.

My head is still everywhere. I have everything I could ever possibly want and things are finally positive in my life. My family and friends all know I've got something good and I do too.

However I still can't shake this feeling of could things have been different. I know I'd hate it if my girlfriend was feeling this way and I know I'm only damaging myself mentally but I'm still convinced there's reasons for these thoughts, since they've never crossed my mind until this past month.

As I said I have everything I could ever possibly want and I'm actually happy, but I can't seem to shake these thoughts currently as much as I'm trying to and I don't know what else to do.

Human nature that mate.

Pretty much everyone ponders that at some stage of their life.

I only had this kind of thing once and it worked when I kind of asked him off guard (I guess a time when they werent expecting it so they hadn't rehearsed an answer)

Thats interesting. Maybe an off the cuff at the pub sort of thing in a one on one? It’s a bit of a struggle for me and my mates at the moment but none of us want to press too much.

What do you do when you've got a good friend who's clearly suffering, but continues to put on a brave face and deflect - resisting any call to chat to friends, family or professionals? Left feeling a little useless at the moment.
All you can do is tell them that you are always there day or night if they want to talk.
I am not a talker so if I have issues I tend to keep them to myself.We are all wired differently not everybody wants to open up to others.

What do you do when you've got a good friend who's clearly suffering, but continues to put on a brave face and deflect - resisting any call to chat to friends, family or professionals? Left feeling a little useless at the moment.
Apologies if this sounds like I'm trying to teach granny to suck eggs but have you any idea what is causing him to be troubled. If you do, have you asked open questions. Instead of just saying are you OK, where he can just respond yes and move on, ask him a question that he has to respond to. Such as How's things going with......whatever you think is bothering him. As others have said maybe catch him off guard.

Again, I'm very conscious that this sounds like some kind of corporate training session on interview techniques - it isn't meant to.

I had the exact same problem with one of my best mates, after he split from his missus.

His head was battered and wouldn`t talk to anyone about it.

What me and my mates did, was took him out for a drink and then when he`d had a few, very gently got to him to open up.

Once he got going, it was like flood gates opening.

He got everything off his chest and collectively, as a group of mates, we were able to support him in varying ways, until he felt he was okay - one lad went and stayed with him all the time, he`d message me if things were getting him down and we`d organise group events, like walking piss ups and trips away.

You may have already tried something like this, but if not, it`s something worth thinking about ?

Does anyone else here suffer from OCD? This is something I’ve really been struggling with the past year and a half or so and it seems to be getting progressively worse. I started a new job two years ago working rotating shifts and I’m starting to wonder if it’s the lack of healthy sleep that I am missing out on due to my crazy work schedule.

Does anyone else here suffer from OCD? This is something I’ve really been struggling with the past year and a half or so and it seems to be getting progressively worse. I started a new job two years ago working rotating shifts and I’m starting to wonder if it’s the lack of healthy sleep that I am missing out on due to my crazy work schedule.
Not an OCD sufferer myself to any major degree however my anxiety was massively exacerbated by poor sleep, being on 24/7 shifts etc. Have a look on YouTube for shift sleep advice..... good luck

John it's all about anxiety. There are a number of theories as to the cause of Compulsive behaviours, however it is accepted that it involves people feeling anxious. There are psychotropic medications - " mental health meds " - that can help but they are used in conjunction with a therapeutic intervention, such as CBT. Crazy isn't it, we can send a machine to Mars but don't know why a man - like one of my patients - had a THREE HOUR routine on getting up and if it wasn't completed he would be literally start again. Heartbreaking. I subscribe to the theory that it is about control - or lack of it - and these obsessive behaviours gives the " sufferer " an element of control, a decrease in anxiety and that will make them feel better. As you know OCD comes in all sorts of forms from counting to behaviours etc. As I said, we don't know the causes.
I try to simplify it for the people I work with. My aim is to help them accept and understand that by not putting the light switch on and off 36 to times, their life isn't going to fall apart. Other practioners and health professionals use a whole gamut of approaches, but exposure work, reassurance, and with the help of medication, things can get better. You allude to your workload John and one can imagine that in itself can bring on its own anxiety provoking symptoms. Please, speak to your Dr, you are I feel experiencing a lot of anxiety due to perhaps, you perceiving a lack of control in your work environment and this is perhaps manifesting itself in your obsessive behaviours. You CAN get better, but don't under estimate the very detrimental affects obsessive behaviours can have. Speak to your GP if your worried or you feel you are " deteriorating " and your anxieties persist or get worse. Be as pro active as you can and please remember, people's lives do improve. Take care John, all the best.

I have it,but fortunately not to an extent where it is a big problem. I do check and re-check daft things like if I've switched off plugs going to bed at night,if Ive closed windows when leaving the house, I've even got 20 miles from home and driven back to check a window. The fact that I live on the top floor of an apartment block that Spiderman would struggle to get into seems to fly right over my head. OCD can be a sign of deeper problems with stress and it might be worth consulting a professional,but if you aren't at the stage of repeating checks multiple times maybe it's something you can just accept as being part of your psychological make up that may readjust itself?

I had the exact same problem with one of my best mates, after he split from his missus.

His head was battered and wouldn`t talk to anyone about it.

What me and my mates did, was took him out for a drink and then when he`d had a few, very gently got to him to open up.

Once he got going, it was like flood gates opening.

He got everything off his chest and collectively, as a group of mates, we were able to support him in varying ways, until he felt he was okay - one lad went and stayed with him all the time, he`d message me if things were getting him down and we`d organise group events, like walking piss ups and trips away.

You may have already tried something like this, but if not, it`s something worth thinking about ?

Great stuff mate - seems to be the best option. He keeps himself to himself with personal issues but both his parents passed away on different days in the last month and clearly affecting him.

Cheers all for the advice.

Great stuff mate - seems to be the best option. He keeps himself to himself with personal issues but both his parents passed away on different days in the last month and clearly affecting him.

Cheers all for the advice.

The trick is to not make it look like a set up.

Just keep it natural, maybe go to the pub to watch the match ?

He`ll have so much bottled up inside him, if you can get him to talk, he won`t be able to stop.

Be prepared for a few tears though.