Derby day injustice

Status
Not open for further replies.

I mentioned VVD two fouls in the first 5 mins to my RS and he said yeh fouls but he was rightly punished and weren’t career ending tackles. I was like hang on, didn’t even get a booking & that’s all just hindsight. Any bad challenge can end a career just so happens we were lucky and our players didn’t come off badly.

This. No attempt to win the ball whatsoever, and a second either way, if his leg lands funny or is planted, it could've been just as bad.

Also, as clumsy as Pickford was, I still maintain, he has every right to protect his near post and make himself big. It was clumsy, but was a genuine attempt to block a potential shot. VVD on the other hand was just being a snide.

And for the record, I have no wish for him to be injured the way he was. I've had a ruptured ACL, from a stupid, dangerous late tackle playing 5aside, and I honestly wouldn't wish it on anyone. I couldn't walk for 9 months and 3 years on, I have never played again.

But to make out that a) he was some Saint who would never hurt a fly, and b) that he was deliberately singled out for punishment by... Checks notes... Our goalkeeper, who was probably the last person you would expect to be challenging him, is disingenuous at best.

Unlike that obvious attempt by him 10 yards into our own half on our best player 30 seconds into the game.

They're STILL going on about it.

Wijnaldum said: “We are still devastated and I think this was different from normal. The way it happened was really hard for us. Everyone still has a really bad feeling about it. When we were speaking with the players after Saturday none of the players had slept because of what happened with Virgil and, as I said, the way it happened. It is a really hard one to take and a hard one for the team.

“We are upset. The way Pickford went in on the challenge was completely stupid in my opinion. I believe he didn’t want to injury Virgil the way he injured him but the way he took the tackle basically he didn’t care about what happened after the tackle.

“We had a lot of games against Everton and in my opinion they take it way too far in the games we play against them. We know it is a derby and everyone wants to win a derby so sometimes you go a little bit over the top but it was too much. It was not only his tackle, we can talk about the tackle from Richarlison on Thiago which was also a nasty one. That is what bothered me the most and I think most of the other players as well.

“Accidents can always happen in football, you can be unlucky with a tackle and injure someone, but the way they were doing it is completely unacceptable. It makes it harder that they don’t get punished. In this case Pickford doesn’t get punished after seeing the videos.”

the way they are going on about it, its like none of their players ever threw a bad tackle or challenge ever! and also like they are the only ones that VAR effected a decision on a game.

I am loving the face that they are fuming that at the VAR decision because they now know how the rest of us felt last season. I would never wish ant player injured no matter who they are but we have had awful injuries to players over the last 10 or so years, they haven't had to deal with a major player being injured for a good time out and the fume off them is unreal.

did we issue all the abuse at Son for the hour tackle? I dont remember seeing posts about people gonna beat him up or a Sean promise happening.

same when Oviedo got injured or Coleman, I actually remember we all supported the player who injured Coleman by clapping him because we knew he was effected by it, accidents happen but they dont seem to realise they do

Slow anything down or freeze frame it to make it look worse. Did we target VVD’s knee? James have anything to answer for?

Attachments

• EBC054AF-AA16-4453-B060-60EC002A4539.jpeg
    EBC054AF-AA16-4453-B060-60EC002A4539.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 93

Status
Not open for further replies.