2022/23 Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
No end product and breaks down a lot of attacks. He can score a goal out of nothing but it’s a 1 in 20 games goal.

His greed and lack of thought when he opted to shoot from a tight angle instead of passing to maupay who had an open net will cost you valuable points in this league.

He infuriates me as he has good ability but 9 times out of 10 he makes the wrong decisions.

He needs to be told this at finch farm and if he continues doing it he needs dropping.

He’s the same as the likes of Lennon, Bolasie and Walcott - all the pace in the world to get himself into good positions but not the composure or quality in the final action and wastes so many good opportunities.

He’s never been good enough to be starting for Everton and we’ll struggle as long as players like him, Gordon and McNeil are starting for us. Gordon is at least young and can improve. I’d sell Gray in a heartbeat, can surely get somebody better.

We had our centre backs still in their box after a corner was cleared to him. He slowly slowly dribbled towards the full back threatening a trick, all the while their defence getting set and Coady was wondering whether to sprint back to defend, dribbled straight into the defenders shin pads at 2mph after inching towards him for 5 seconds. Defender didn’t have to move at all. Grays brain tackled itself. The correct action was one quick touch, straight back into the box as their entire defence was walking out, so a chance someone times a run and gets a free header on the six yard line, the sort of goal you see every week. Defenders all claiming offside but it isn’t. This was far more frustrating than his missed chance.

Training a few hours a day probably from the age of 8 with best coaches available for every age group. Now a few years training with premier league squads and elite coaching staff with experience and technology at their disposal. None of this can overcome a complete total utter lack of common sense, or killer instinct. Can’t easily be coached, so will always be his issue. Even someone like sodding Albrighton would have seen 6 of our biggest players in the box and put it immediately back in.

Nice kid, has stayed grounded and humble, clearly tries to make things happen which he sees as his responsibility, bags of talent with a football on a totally empty pitch. But terribly ineffective in almost all matches, and bar the odd moment of brilliance where his undoubted raw skill overrides his brain, or the waves just part and he doesn’t need to make a decision other than shoot, he will always frustrate. Would rather a winger with 20% less technical ability, but 20% more nouse.

I actually like how he's playing. Tough to have a ton of end product with where the ball spends most of the time in our matches. He gets it 50+ yards from goal and has to create things. Good luck. The fact that he's even close is something. I can't really have a go at him currently even if he's pretty meh.

Bought as a backup, yet in kin typical Everton fashion he's become a key player as we've so badly neglected to strengthen that position. Kills every attack through him being footballing thick as pig chite, and looks well and truly drained of confident in every game after 45 minutes if he hasn't done anything of note. That chance he spurned, which I fully expected, was horrendous last night.

He has to potential to be a decent player, but at the moment he passes too late. Slows us down
I don't like this kind of comment because the lad is 26 already and spent years in the professional game. If he hasn't made it by now as an above average player in this division, he never will.

He's thick and kills attacks. Was a decent enough buy at the time when we were absolutely skint and needed a winger, but the fact he plays every game is a truly was reflection on the state of the club.

Him, Gordon, McNeil, dear dear me - wouldn't even stand out in League One and that's true.

He frustrates me so much. He could be a fantastic player as he has the abilities but he is too slow on the ball, takes far too many touches and does not make the right decisions enough. Unless he starts improving on this he is only good enough for the bench. We badly need some better attacking options January/next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.