2022/23 Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
….not sure what to make of Gray, I think he carries more threat than our other attacking options but he hasn’t got much competition.

As with Gordon, I ‘hope’ rather than ‘expect’ him to produce something when in possession. I actually rated Deulofeu higher, even if folk thought he blew a gasket after 60mins.

….not sure what to make of Gray, I think he carries more threat than our other attacking options but he hasn’t got much competition.

As with Gordon, I ‘hope’ rather than ‘expect’ him to produce something when in possession. I actually rated Deulofeu higher, even if folk thought he blew a gasket after 60mins.

Del was hugely effective, always has been where he's been at.

Gray is our best attacking threat, he drives the ball and wants to make things happen. He's also just stupid and plays like a kid in the play ground.

Pass the ball, move into better areas, then you can try and take on an entire team. Not in your own half or decide to run into a wall when a simple pass is on..

I really can’t believe Lampard asked to go into the season with Gray and Gordon as our first choice wide players with virtually no competition.

That sort of thinking got us into a problem imho. We had limited money to strengthen areas and we made ourselves more solid in the appropriate positions. The McNeil money might be the one question mark but we aren't going to get significantly better with that kind of money. It's a process and you can't change everything in a window or two. Sort the budgeting constraints, and then over the next 2 windows after this upcoming winter one where I would imagine us to still be hamstrung and we can hopefully start to add the cream to the solid base.

I think we look much better going forward with the energy and width of Patterson to help free up whoever is on his side at that moment and we have Townsend as an option after the WC.

That sort of thinking got us into a problem imho. We had limited money to strengthen areas and we made ourselves more solid in the appropriate positions. The McNeil money might be the one question mark but we aren't going to get significantly better with that kind of money. It's a process and you can't change everything in a window or two. Sort the budgeting constraints, and then over the next 2 windows after this upcoming winter one where I would imagine us to still be hamstrung and we can hopefully start to add the cream to the solid base.

I think we look much better going forward with the energy and width of Patterson to help free up whoever is on his side at that moment and we have Townsend as an option after the WC.
I’m looking forward to Townsend being back, which says a lot tbh as he’s distinctly average too.

Gray should have pulled that back to Maupay who was in a better position, IMO.

He had a right to take the shot on, just a very poor finish not to get it on target.

Will be interested what the front three is when DCL is ready to start games. He will obviously be the CF. Personally I'd have Mauapy to the left and Gordon on right and Gray as impact sub on the hour when games start to get stretched.

He just makes so many poor decisions in final third and set piece delivery is inconsistant aswell.

I’m looking forward to Townsend being back, which says a lot tbh as he’s distinctly average too.

It's just about having options isn’t it? If DCL is fully back as well then AT should be able to provide half decent service, even if it's just coming on from the bench for the last 20 mins.

Stockpiling did us no favours, I'd rather we keep a fairly static first 11 bar 1-3 players who are interchangeable and see where we get to. We were always going to look short coming up against the better teams, especially away from home.

It's just about having options isn’t it? If Dominic Calvert-Lewin is fully back as well then AT should be able to provide half decent service, even if it's just coming on from the bench for the last 20 mins.

Stockpiling did us no favours, I'd rather we keep a fairly static first 11 bar 1-3 players who are interchangeable and see where we get to. We were always going to look short coming up against the better teams, especially away from home.
We shouldn’t have left ourselves in a position where we have just 2 attacking options on the bench and one of them is Rondon.

We shouldn’t have left ourselves in a position where we have just 2 attacking options on the bench and one of them is Rondon.

3 isn't it? One of McNeil, Gordon or Gray, Rondon and DCL/Maupay. Look I understand where you are coming from, we all want more but go back in time we've never had a loaded bench full of quality so we were never going to have it now when we are struggling to make ends meet. Chances are if we bought/loaned another or kept Simms/Broadhead they wouldn't have played much anyhow. I believe we wanted Rondon out and we would have replaced him but for who God knows - most likely an improvement there but this is Everton and anything can happen. You can see people already grumbling about Maupay who was pretty much a sure bet. We need the big bucks to go and slap it on someone like Toney to really make a difference and even that is kind of on the gambling side.

We are a terrible attacking force but I think it actually suits Gray because his game is to run down blind alleys all alone in search of a wonder goal.

I look at someone like Gordon and think he would really benefit from having players around him he could pass to.

Status
Not open for further replies.