Confirmed Signing Demarai Gray

Status
Not open for further replies.
People’s capacity to delude themselves never fails to amaze. Sure, this 25 year old nothing player is going to come good for us. It’s like folk trying to convince themselves that Iwobi, Walcott etc were going to come good for us despite all evidence to the contrary. Massively unimpressed at out business. Hope the lid and Townsend prove me wrong, much like all the other inevitable flops though…I doubt it.
Well on the bright side, at least we've only shelled out 1.6m on the two rather than the 500m over the last few seasons!

I'm all for signing gray and seeing how he does and believe he could be a success. But a 3 year contract really?? Do we ever learn. There is half a chance he will flop and if he does we are stuck with him on the wage bill again.
He gets five assists and couple of goals, there will be moans it was not 5 years. Because end of a good season on 3years we will be looking to extend and other clubs will come sniffing...

He gets five assists and couple of goals, there will be moans it was not 5 years. Because end of a good season on 3years we will be looking to extend and other clubs will come sniffing...
Yep, I'm trembling at the thought that Real Madrid will offer 70 million for him next summer. How will we resist???

I'm all for signing gray and seeing how he does and believe he could be a success. But a 3 year contract really?? Do we ever learn. There is half a chance he will flop and if he does we are stuck with him on the wage bill again.
I'd imagine the wages aren't above average and likely slightly below as it doesn't seem like there was a queue of clubs. If you spread the cost of the deal and wages over the length of the contract it's not the massive draining investment that overs are. An English player in his peak years on the lower end of the wage spectrum is always gonna be relatively easy to shift compared to a megabucks player over 30.

The wage bill hogs are the ones on huge deals that no other club will take on. Especially the players on those deals who aren't keen on a move to leagues like Saudi Arabia or Qatar.

Yep, I'm trembling at the thought that Real Madrid will offer 70 million for him next summer. How will we resist???
There is obvious caveats, still got to be positive, little else at the moment. Just reflect on last season and we were not too short in getting that Europe finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.