2021/22 Dele Alli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well sticking him on at a full ground against his ex-teammates for 6/7 years wont do that at all, it never ever works, especially when the game is completely gone.

No player in the world would do much in that situation.
You can't just not put him on because it's his old club though can you? Well I mean you can, but it's a situation where there's no right answer, because if you don't put him on then people start saying how's he going to get fit and build his form up without playing etc. You're not asking him to come and help us to a 6-5 win, just to go out and see if he can produce a few things that put him in the frame for a start.

Its a decision on whether to paly 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1, we can only afford to play and accomdate Alli at 10 at the moment and he has to contribute goals or assists, whether his fitness is up to dropping back into the engine room when we're under the kosh is debateable. God knows our defence need protecting.

Will anyone take on his wages? I could see us being stuck with a player on huge wages that we can’t play because it’ll trigger payments and further damage our financial situation. It was a strange signing from a footballing perspective and an even stranger deal financially.
The deal itself was creative and structured in an affordable manner. However, like all transfers, it's only a good deal if you've bought a player who improves your team. He doesn't seem to fit any of the systems we've tried so far.

As for moving him on it may be possible if we let him go on a free somewhere. Abroad probably.

If it was up to me I wouldn't have touched him with a 10ft pole.
What's the deal?
Is it try before you buy or have we spunked out another £35-40 M on Bolasie Mk III.

If he scores the goal that keeps us up though??

I reckon there's a good chance he's looked so poor in training Lampard hasn't been able to justify starting him.

He seems to do very well under managers that put their arm around him and make him a focal point in attack.

He'll likely need to be started and told were relying on him and how great he is etc etc...

Lads.....its time to accept that this is another Walcott situation here. A once decent player thats moved to us for some financial padding with zero pressure and no connection with the club whatsoever. First photo op should've told you that with his red streak........just like Theo's first interview when asked why he came he said Wayne (Roo) told him how good the golf courses were in the area!!

He needs to play every game.
That’s the sort of player he is.
He’s not one to be bringing off the bench to change a game, we need him firing.. and quickly.

He seems to do very well under managers that put their arm around him and make him a focal point in attack.

He'll likely need to be started and told were relying on him and how great he is etc etc...
I also don't think he's going to ever be much of an impact sub type player. He definitely needs to be central to the team. Play him and if he tires, bring him off for someone else.

I think the more he plays, the more we will get out of him. At this point, we need it.

Problem is, if we drop Gordon for him, everyone will have a fit because he's been so influential , so it's an awkward position for Lampard to be in. Let's hope it works whatever we do.

Last edited:
Also don't think he's much of an impact sub type player. I think he needs to be central to the team. Play him and if he tires, bring him off for someone else.

I think the more he plays, the more we will get out of him. At this point, we need it.

Problem is, if we drop Gordon for him, everyone will have a fit because he's been so influential , so it's an awkward position for Lampard to be in. Let's hope it works whatever we do.

Id play him ahead of DCL

Id play him ahead of DCL
That's 1 option yeah. I do think he could be the 1 to unlock DCL again though, similarly to James. His 1st time delivery for Rondon against Leeds was immaculate. Honestly think he's the only player we have who is a capable of that.

DCL
Gray Dele Richarlison
VDB Allan​

Those 3 behind DCL would be interchangeable. Gordon would be an impact sub from the bench when teams have tired.

Just my opinion of course

Last edited:
That's 1 option yeah. I do think he could be the 1 to unlock DCL again though, similarly to James. His 1st time delivery for Rondon against Leeds was immaculate. Honestly think he's the only player we have who is a capable of that.

DCL
Gray Dele Richarlison
VDB Allan​
Those 3 behind DCL would be interchangeable. Gordon would be an impact sub from the bench when teams have tired.

Just my opinion of course

Its very hard now to pick a formation and players for it just because the defence is so poor we need to have midfielders to protect them.

With Alli though, i think he'll work better with Richarlison. DCL looks like he needs a while to even get up to speed.

Its very hard now to pick a formation and players for it just because the defence is so poor we need to have midfielders to protect them.

With Alli though, i think he'll work better with Richarlison. DCL looks like he needs a while to even get up to speed.
I think the teams shape in and out of possession is more important than the formation. The formation is literally the starting position at the end of the day, and can and will change fluidly during the exchanges. The importance of DCL, despite his recent form, is his ability to win headers and hold up the ball, and his movement in and around the box. Gray plays with intelligence, can dribble, go either way and is a goal threat. Gordon runs about a lot, but I honestly don't think he knows how to play a position yet, and until he does, you can't afford to have him and Richarlison in the same side, and Richarlison offers way, way more.

Dele could be the 1 to unlock that potential, and I may be wrong, but I don't think we have had a chance yet to see him, Gray, DCL and VDB on the pitch together yet, yet alone starting a game.

The defence is what it is, a shambles, but let's be honest about it, I don't think Gordon is the key to defensive stability. He certainly hasn't been so far. At least DCL and Richarlison are liable to win headers back there.

Lads.....its time to accept that this is another Walcott situation here. A once decent player thats moved to us for some financial padding with zero pressure and no connection with the club whatsoever. First photo op should've told you that with his red streak........just like Theo's first interview when asked why he came he said Wayne (Roo) told him how good the golf courses were in the area!!
He’s 25. Come on man. This is not a Walcott situation. It’s not a James situation. It’s not a Rooney situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.