Zonal or Man-To-Man

• Zonal

Votes: 38 13.9%
  • Man-To-Man

Votes: 236 86.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just can’t wrap my head around how zonal marking works. Surely it’s harder to defend against an attacker getting a run on you?

But then you could say that when man-marking the defender is just reacting to the attacker the whole time, whereas zonal allows the defender to go on the offensive by just going for the ball rather than also reacting to the attacker. As an example man-marking was the reason that England corners worked so well at the WC (urgh the "love train" as commentators called it, shudder) - the man-marking defenders had to react to the 4 players splitting from the same spot and it caused havoc. A full zonal system would have just ignored them.

I also think it's clear in the echo article that Rats is referring to a hybrid system rather than an actual zonal defence that Marco seems to be going for, which might help explain his management career (lol I feel so bad for being snide about him).

I'm not actually too fussy as to which system we use, as long as it suits the players and is well implemented. If anything, zonal will become the most popular system as there is a definite trend towards fast interchanging forward lineups, and trying to man-mark against these can lead to all sorts of problems. Most importantly, Marco is pretty clearly set on zonal.

It will be fine once we're a bit more settled and Cenk stops defending in a different time zone to everyone else!

Unless zonal marking guarantees you at least two counter attacking goals per game then it will never be worth the guaranteed one goal conceded per game

Surely it's inate in any defenders psyche regardless if you're playing zonal, to just pick up the opposition men and stop them from scoring. I just don't think many players have the mentality to mark empty space.

Cenk has been a fault for 3 goals we have conceded from set pieces. I would like him removed from front post duties
Exactly;
Some forwards are good defenders, Jelavic, Cahill, Fellaini.
Some are liabilities; Limpar, Saha, Lukaku, Pienaar...goals and penalies waiting to happen.
Good defender or no, Tosun, or somebody should be near half way to keep the opposition defenders occupied so they don't just launch it back into our box.

Marco Silva insists Everton will persist with zonal marking from set-pieces despite teething problems with the tactic.

The Blues have conceded three goals from corners so far this season as the squad get used to a new way of defending.

Silva acknowledges there have been early issues with the system but is adamant Everton must continue with zonal marking over man to man.

The Portuguese coach says the squad will work on it at Finch Farm between matches and confirmed he will not deviate from an approach to defending he has used his entire career.

“First, it's the best way because I believe you can be stronger and play in that way in that moment,” Silva told the ECHO.

“It is something I have done since my first day as a coach and so it is my way.

“In those moments you can do everything you can to study set-pieces but you don't always find the magic in zonal or the magic with man to man.

“But it is important, it is a new thing and, like our style, something we are working everyday to improve and it is something new to our players and I only know one way to improve: here, day by day and working hard.

“Of course, it is clear we need to improve in that situation for us, as a team, to be stronger in that moment because if you can achieve a clean sheet in that moment then our confidence will grow as well.”

Proponents of man marking favour it because it promotes accountability but Silva says the zonal approach does the same.

Rotherham made it 2-1 with a Will Vaulks header from a corner, four minutes from time in Wednesday's Carabao Cup second round tie at Goodison.

And Silva has revealed that Dominic Calvert-Lewin, the scorer of two goals on the night, was at fault.

“But you have your responsibility as well,” he said.

“I can tell you, because I already told him, in that moment when Rotherham scored we don't mark man to man but in that moment one of our players still had that responsibility.

“I can tell you, because he knows as well, Dominic has that responsibility to attack that ball.

“If he is man to man, he has that responsibility, if he is in a zone then he has that responsibility, it is clear to me.”

Silva's search for a clean sheet will be boosted by the return of Morgan Schneiderlin to Everton's midfield for tomorrow's game with Huddersfield.

Schneiderlin plays a key role in defending set-pieces and Silva says he offers cover to the back four.

“Not just in set-pieces,” the Everton boss said.

“As a midfield player with a profile he is different, he is more of a positional midfielder, more a clear No6.

“And of course he is an important player in that moment for us.”

The issue really has been that we have been beaten near post about 4 times. Every single goal came from a near post header where our man AT the near post did nothing to defend it, at it was flicked on. Solve the near post zone with a big tall person who attacks the ball and people will probably stop talking about zonal marking.

It's really starting to look like a bad joke. The only explanation is that we don't really have a consistent starting 11 yet due to injuries and suspensions.

We’ll drop double digit points on set pieces as Marco instill’s his system.

I’d go ahead and throw out any dreams of Europe, and enjoy beautiful football and look forward to next season. Clearly Marco, and the club, are content with that plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.