Dear David Moyes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
And don't kid yourself about the beating a top level club argument - we ended Arsenal's invincible run, beat United, Chelsea, Spurs and the RS - something no-one has managed to do since with more resources.
Well said. Yes we can’t go back to Moyes, but slagging him off is out of order imo. The shambles since he left is the reason there’s this thread. I always thought we’d compete in every home game under him. And when Utd came calling, you can hardly blame him for going. Then and now, they are a much bigger club, though it kills me to say that, because I’m old enough to remember when they were relegated and were also rans.

It’s not a load of tosh at all. Martinez, for all his flaws, played a blinder in landing a permanent deal for Lukaku. He sold his vision and I seriously doubt Moyes could have done that.
What BS - Arteta was 10 times the player Lukaku was, and he was happy to come. I rate Fellaini higher too.

Fact is, we were the best he could get at the time, and he was desperate to leave for a bigger club ever since he came.

I completely agree, Martinez signed a load of garbage and one diamond. That sums the guy up - he was capable of that odd moment where you thought “wow”, followed by a load of dross.

Moyes was more conservative and middle of the road. He wouldn’t have signed rubbish like Kobe, but wouldn’t have bagged Lukaku either.
I really don’t agree - we didn’t sign someone like Lukaku because he wasn’t available at the time. I think John Stones was better value for money, and we also sold on the likes of Lescott for big money.

Let’s face it, Bobby’s good team was pretty much of Moyes making.

You're right, he'd have just stuck to the Artetas, Pienaars and Cahills.

You seem to be implying that I don't rate Moyes ability in the transfer window, which couldn't be further from the truth. He signed a lot of absolute gems, and I would rate him far better than Martinez in that regard.

However, Moyes was was better as an underdog, on a budget, at bringing in unproven rough diamonds, like those players you've mentioned. He didn't have it in him to convince someone like Lukaku to join Everton - it takes a certain type of personality to do that, Moyes wasn't that guy.

What BS - Arteta was 10 times the player Lukaku was, and he was happy to come. I rate Fellaini higher too.

See above. I really rate Arteta and Fellaini, great players. But signing those players is very different to signing Lukaku. When we signed Lukaku, people were shocked because they didn't think we were capable of attracting a player who had already bagged over 30 premier league goals in the last two seasons.

Like him or loathe him, Martinez played a pretty big part in that.

Let’s face it, Bobby’s good team was pretty much of Moyes making.

Again, see above. You're arguing points which I don't disagree with.

It's always so black and white in these discussions - either you're on Moyes' side, or your on Martinez's side. Why can't we recognise that each had their own strengths and weaknesses?

Didn't we try for Demba Ba only to be told no, but take Lukaku?

Probably, but not sure what that proves? I'm not saying Martinez could sign anyone he wanted, I'm just saying he was notably very influential in signing Lukaku.

The Kenwright - Moyes years were the equivalent of a medically induced coma on a seriously ill patient , the figurative patient in this case being Everton of course. It was a necessity to give us a chance of survival.
Our recovery is still far from assured and last seasons relapse meant we were once again returned to a state of induced coma under Allardyce.
I’m not sure we can survive another episode.

You seem to be implying that I don't rate Moyes ability in the transfer window, which couldn't be further from the truth. He signed a lot of absolute gems, and I would rate him far better than Martinez in that regard.

However, Moyes was was better as an underdog, on a budget, at bringing in unproven rough diamonds, like those players you've mentioned. He didn't have it in him to convince someone like Lukaku to join Everton - it takes a certain type of personality to do that, Moyes wasn't that guy.

See above. I really rate Arteta and Fellaini, great players. But signing those players is very different to signing Lukaku. When we signed Lukaku, people were shocked because they didn't think we were capable of attracting a player who had already bagged over 30 premier league goals in the last two seasons.

Like him or loathe him, Martinez played a pretty big part in that.

Again, see above. You're arguing points which I don't disagree with.

It's always so black and white in these discussions - either you're on Moyes' side, or your on Martinez's side. Why can't we recognise that each had their own strengths and weaknesses?

Probably, but not sure what that proves? I'm not saying Martinez could sign anyone he wanted, I'm just saying he was notably very influential in signing Lukaku.
Yeah, but I think Moyes would definitely have taken Lukaku. I mean, Saha was a Man utd centre forward when we signed him, and Beattie and Johnson had both done very well too. In fact Lukaku would have been the player Moyes had been trying to sign for years, with no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.