Dear David Moyes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voila! Just like Marco inherited here, yet there’s people expecting us to be CL spot contenders.
Hold on a minute. Baines and Jagielka aside, Silva has not inherited an ageing squad. He has a squad full of internationals in their prime or young and developing internationals.

We are top of the EPL 2 and 3rd in the U18 league. We have some talented players at our disposal in our squad.

Unfortunately we do not have a manager capable of drilling into those players a system and consistent approach to games which allows us to kick on as a club.

Gladly take the win yesterday, but for large parts of the game we were absolutely dire.

it's not though, Moyes did well against the top sides, especially at home. Bearing in mind as well that he didn;t have the same money to throw about at building a squad like Koeman and Silva.

It is though, neither managers record is comparable when the subject is just David Moyes.

He did not do well against the top sides. Regardless of money or whatever we were generally the 5th/6th best side in the league so I would expect more from them when it came to games against the bigger sides. It was his main flaw.

He also had 11 years (deservedly) to build a side of course which nobody gets these days.

A poem for Davey Moyes: -

We didn’t realise how good we had it at the time,
when Pip was our captain with his trademark chip down the line,
ever since you left it’s been a struggle,
what was your great team is now a pile of rubble,
oh David Moyes we dearly miss you,
poor Mr Silva bit off more than he could chew.

Sometimes you don’t know just how ruddy good you’ve got it until it’s no longer there.

COYB!!!!!

It is though, neither managers record is comparable when the subject is just David Moyes.

He did not do well against the top sides. Regardless of money or whatever we were generally the 5th/6th best side in the league so I would expect more from them when it came to games against the bigger sides. It was his main flaw.

He also had 11 years (deservedly) to build a side of course which nobody gets these days.
You can't appreciate how good someone is unless you compare though because then one could argue because he didn't win the league he wasn't good enough. Which we would have done had we been winning those games constantly. We reached our potential under him, under others we have been far from it.

I remember being very nervous at the prospect of Moyes leaving. And then Bobby flattered to deceive the first year and Moyes struggled and I momentarily forgot. But since then you could argue we haven't been the same since he left. Moyes wasn't perfect but he was good at his job no question. One wonders what he would have done with Lukaku the year after he left. Better than 5th?

You can't appreciate how good someone is unless you compare though because then one could argue because he didn't win the league he wasn't good enough. Which we would have done had we been winning those games constantly. We reached our potential under him, under others we have been far from it.

His defence wasn't "good" though. It was good until it came under any form of pressure and then it cracked.

I don't think we reached our potential under him personally. Oddly enough we got near that potential under him because he was good at that but it was also thanks to him that we never took the next step because he craps himself in any form of big game. That's just in his nature.

I expect any manager who is given 11 years in any top flight division, regardless of the situation to have won something during that time mainly because other managers do not get that chance.

As I have said before, he was fine.

I remember being very nervous at the prospect of Moyes leaving. And then Bobby flattered to deceive the first year and Moyes struggled and I momentarily forgot. But since then you could argue we haven't been the same since he left. Moyes wasn't perfect but he was good at his job no question. One wonders what he would have done with Lukaku the year after he left. Better than 5th?

Probably not because he would not have signed him on loan anyway (even though we did actually get him in the end full time) and from various comments over the years he seems to have deemed Lukaku as some big target man which he never has been.

McCarthy and Barry were big parts of that season too so who knows? To many variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.