Dear David Moyes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have had him back in a heartbeat me.
Thing is, I think Moyes would struggle with this lot. He created his teams with spirit and fight first and foremost, the flair players came later and even they had to toe the line...I really think we as fans are as much to blame with our new identity, we all first presumed that with a bigger budget we would be better off. Every player now named in the transfer window is a flair player...have we not learned anything...getting expensive fappy players in, when money is the only draw doesnt work....this team needs a few work horses in dotted about with the Bernard's and the Lookman's before I would be comfortable having a workman like manager back in charge.
Cant think we would be worse off having Moyes back now though.

I don't want him back but by heck do I miss finishing between 5th - 7th every year nailed on. he was scared of the big boys but he made sure we won the games we should have in most cases, we got a few hammerings(Arsene you git) but not the consistent 3s and 4s we get nowadays.

The biggest thing though was he was given time, especially his second season when he finished 17th, he would have been sacked now. I guess we are all guilty of a lack of patience but this trophy drought is hardcore for us.

He played effective football. He may not have been as stylish as some, usually better funded, managers. But he cut his cloth to suit what we had and we punched above our weight. I mean, his Preston team played entertaining, attacking football, but it is harder to do that the higher up the leagues you go.

I was reading Bobby Robson the other day in some old coaching manual and he said that tactics are overrated, and that it comes down to having good players. And Steve Davis was talking the other day, and said that some players in snooker can get all the coaching they want, but they cannot match someone with natural ability.

Personally I think Moyes is far from as bad as some people make out tactically, he just played in a way to get the most out of the squad. By the end of his tenure we were actually a stylish team, and Martinez just continued in that vein, at least initially.

He played mostly crushingly dull to technically dreadful football. It was effective yep up to a point, but it doesn't mean it was any less boring or less of a dinosaur tactic.

Most telling would be during those 2 or 3 seasons where he managed to get a balance that would actually play some ball and he would let them play a bit.....only for us to come up against a bigger team and revert to his norm.

Risk averse for almost his whole time with us.

I've had to watch years of that with Everton, and with Ireland under Trappatoni and it's a cowardly way to play the game for me. Trust your players more and let them get on the ball. I don't like managers who see everything in percentages. They reduce as much as possible the oppositions goal opportunities and use an attacking method that is concerned more with limiting the risk of counter attacks and conceding than actually creating and scoring......i.e hoofing and depending on set pieces.

I remember the good times for sure, but I remember more the irritation at listening to him moan about refs after another god awful display where the percentages were against us and he did nothing to take control of a game and try to affect a change in the result.

Technically dreadful football? Has everyone forgotten the Baines / Pienaar combination and the majesty of Arteta in his pomp? Was Martinez football technically better then? Two dire 11th place finishes and some utter [Poor language removed] home defeats were OK because he tried to get the players playing from the back? Do me a favour...

He had good games and bad games, but it's amazing how many memories have been wiped / altered!

This was a manager who had no fit strikers for a few months, had to play Fellaini and Cahill up front and still finished fifth!

Look. People may not want him back - I don't long term but have said I would take him til the end of the season at this current point in time.

But let's not cloud our history with the history of Utd, Sunderland, Sociedad and West Ham.

The man was chosen to replace Alex Ferguson at United for Christ's sake!

Technically dreadful football? Has everyone forgotten the Baines / Pienaar combination and the majesty of Arteta in his pomp? Was Martinez football technically better then? Two dire 11th place finishes and some utter [Poor language removed] home defeats were OK because he tried to get the players playing from the back? Do me a favour...

He had good games and bad games, but it's amazing how many memories have been wiped / altered!

This was a manager who had no fit strikers for a few months, had to play Fellaini and Cahill up front and still finished fifth!

Look. People may not want him back - I don't long term but have said I would take him til the end of the season at this current point in time.

But let's not cloud our history with the history of Utd, Sunderland, Sociedad and West Ham.

I said mostly technically dreadful football. He did get us firing sometimes with a couple of particularly enjoyable seasons, but as I mentioned he reverted to type as soon as we had a big game. However IMO the majority of his however many games here were as I described.

Nobody has mentioned Martinez.

This is getting silly now. I didn't mind Moyes, for all his faults the team had some fight and at times played some very decent todgeball. I didn't want him to be sacked or for him to leave but saying that I was not overly sad when he decided to leave. His time had come to a natural end.

The reasons for this are for as much as he stabilised us, he could never push us on to the next level. He ruined fairly good strikers, Yakubu, Beattie and Johnson. All put up reasonable numbers before Everton and even early days here, but by the end looked like carthorses. We were dumped out of cups by rubbish teams far too many times. The team bar from a little spell didn't believe they could win and that was passed on to them by the manager. As we were trying to win bringing knives to a gun fight, Middlesbrough, Birmingham, Swansea, Portsmouth and Wigan actually managed to win a trophy. He was a good manager and a perfect fit for us when he joined, but wistfully thinking back about those days is just looking at it with rose tinted glasses. The pain of what we went through has been dulled with the passage of time. We are in a much more competitive league now than back then, Moyes would be struggling to secure 7th/8th just like we are now.
Yakubu got crocked but was unfairly treated. Beattie was a one season wonder and Johnson scored a large proportion of his goals from the penalty spot.

We played some good football under Moyes that often goes overlooked by many. When Baines, Pienaar and Arteta were on song it was a joy to watch at times. I watched some highlights from I think 07/08 (season Yakubu was putting them away) and we were beating teams comfortably whilst playing well. I just think when it come to the pushing on and winning a massive game like a cup final, we would always choke and Moyes tactics would rightly come into question.

He would sort it out...
Our defence is a shambles & the keeper needs a rollicking...
I want our passion back...
Moyes has that in abundance & loves this club...

Moyes looked down on us when he moved on to his ‘Big Chance’...and thereafter he was a complete and utter failure. Not even Celtic want him.

And how did he fare at OT? The place where a failure at Cardiff, and a not unexpected title at the mighty Molde, has simply let the players play.

have we won a single derby since Moyes left?

didn't we only win 2 in 11 years with him in charge though?

both times it was when Liverpool were finishing outside the top 5, since moyes left Liverpool have been more or less title contenders so how is that even the same

eg, moyes 2 wins in 20 odd games against a mostly mediocre Liverpool team ( and many season we arguably had as good a team )

0 wins since he left against a VASTLY superior Liverpool team ( minus bobbys first season )

And how did he fare at OT? The place where a failure at Cardiff, and a not unexpected title at the mighty Molde, has simply let the players play.

Was waiting for the first person to come up with this. He got 10 months and inherited one of the worst United Squads.

He still had over a 50% win percentage - fourth highest of any Utd manager in history. Amazing things facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.