David Johnson RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scored on his debut - at Burnley - the first game I recall going to (aged 9), probably because it was away - though undoubtedly my Dad took me to Goodison many times before that.

Scored in his derby debut as well…..in November 1971.

We won 1-0.

RIP Dave,

Saw on a Twitter post from an 82/83 programme, personal ambition, to win a trophy with Everton. Wasn't far off it in 83/84

Think it was on highlights that night with Martin Tyler commentating on it. Funnily enough later that year but the following seson (83/84) he scored the only goal of the game at home to Watford again, when there was actually only 13k for that one..
Yes,I remember that. Things were looking pretty bleak around that time, none of us could have guessed what was just around the corner! Anyway,just had a look on youtube and I've found his goal from the game when he came on as a sub, the first time I've seen this since it happened!

Entirely agree Joey. 71 for an ex-athlete is not a good score but I guess as it was throat cancer, he might
have been a smoker for a long time. I took a breath when I found out.

And with your respect to your earlier post, the transfer with Rod Belfett looks Tosun-like now in its stupidity. Even
then it was a headscratcher.

David Johnson would walk into today's Everton team. He was quick, good in the air and not bad technically. And it was
no surprise that David looked fine alongside Daglish, Rush and co and achieved so much with them.

He scored for us in 83/84 v Watford but must have left soon after as he was gone before the 84 cup win.
Seems like his last appearance was on Boxing Day 1983 at home to Sunderland. The signing of Andy Gray probably put an end to his chances. He was 32 by then and went on loan to Barnsley. It wasn't a successful second spell - only 5 goals in about 40 matches - but he was a terrific player earlier on in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.