Dave Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

summerisle

The rain, it raineth every day
Previous thread locked :

Very interesting article by his wife about him, didn't know he turned down signing for Man. Utd.

Best winger I've seen at Goodison by a long chalk, could ping in crosses from either wing with pinpoint accuracy.

I asked the question in the old photos thread but no response.

How many of Latch's 30 in 77/78 were crossed by Dave. Probably not available as I don't think "assists" were recorded like today.

Brilliant player, loved when we sign him from QPR.

How many of Latch's 30 in 77/78 were crossed by Dave. Probably not available as I don't think "assists" were recorded like today.

I could talk all day about Dave and how good he was, I too was made up when we signed him and he didn't dissapoint.
Imagine today how much he would have been worth at his peak.

Nothing certain but I've quickly gone through his 30 goals and I reckon around 12 were directly from crosses by Dave - not as many as my memory suggests but still impressive. Of course there were countless near misses and Dave was involved in the build up for other goals too.

He was brilliant, could cross with either foot and didn't necessarily have to beat his man to whip a cross in, though he often did. When Latchford was belatedly picked by England, they should have picked Thomas with him but went for the younger Barnes/Coppell.

Proper old school winger wasn't he?must have been a frustrating era for Dave as wingers were not very fashionable back in the 1970's,mainly due to Ramseys "wingless wonders"winning the World Cup!!
I might be wrong but i am sure the season Latch scored 30 goals,England played Italy at Wembley in the world cup ,or European cup and even though the both had a great seasons neither of them got picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.