Match Thread Crystal Palace v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, just seen this, ignore my last post.

If you wanted an immediate fix I'd avoid the outright expensive goal machines and go for Rondon who has a 15m release clause and who was instrumental in keeping Newcastle up. He looks like the type who gets more out of others and I think Gylfi, Richarlison, Walcott, Bernard, Lookman etc could all benefit from his flicks and lay offs. With him and DCL for the central role Tosun could be sold and Richarlison could start wide where he's more effective.

Boring I know but more sustainable than blowing big money on a goal machine striker.
£15m for Rondon makes more sense than £50m for Vardy. But a player who turns 30 at the start of next season is not the complete solution, due to the absence of resale value - we'd be buying time and relying on DCL becoming a 15 goals-per-season striker within the next 18 months.

It was all a little ‘Everton that’ imo. I know my next comment will meet opprobrium, but there remains the rank label of ‘losers’ about this club. Me?, I feel whilst the likes of Luvvy Bill, and our useless CEO, stink the gaff out, we’ll find it difficult to reach any escape velocity.
But I like Marco and Marcel...and by nature I’m a glass always full type of guy...
It takes time to shake 30 years of managed decline and inertia can be the biggest obstacle to overcome.

Kenwright has expertly masked this by romanticising us as the plucky underdog. Rocky even appeared on our turf to reclaim his narrative. A marriage made in heaven only we lost out on the Hollywood ending.

Like you I have no faith in Blue Bill or any of the barnacle old guard. What I do have faith in is that money talks and we are the last cash cow to be milked in the premier league.

Moshiri will only make money on us if he delivers a decent team playing in Bramley Moore. He doesn’t strike me as the type to lose money.

That's the sort of question that professional football clubs pay chief scouts and Directors of Football to answer mate. They in turn pay @Zatara for hints via email.

Is it definitely the right question though?

I mean, it's reasonable to expect that DCL will continue to improve as a player, given that he's only just turned 22... so do we need a new CF in his prime, who comes with a hefty price tag and the burden of expectation to bang in 15 goals per season? If so, wasn't that what Cenk Tosun was supposed to be?

Or perhaps we might actually be looking for a better bench option than Tosun, whilst DCL keeps the starting spot and grows into it?

I suppose a lot of it hinges on the extent of the funds available in the summer, and if we get acceptable offers for Tosun and Niasse. But one thing is sure: no club on the planet would pay £50m for Vardy this summer.
I know I just flippently plucked it out of thin air and was exaggerated, I think we were rumoured 25m last year anyways.

Problem is the only time we have immediately found a fix in recent times was when we signed Rom. Before and after that we have gone for the cheaper option a little rough around the edges and as such nothing has happened.

So many people fearing EL qualification this year cos we are just "not quite ready", in 12 months time we'll most likely be in the same position with a good-ish striker and it'll be the same concerns. Hard to see another option other than splurging the cash on something certain (albeit not long term) to get us up to that level above we need to be at for European football.

It was a bit disappointing not to win, but generally speaking I'm happy with a point away from home, so that'll do. Voted for Zouma but little between him & Gana today. Schneiderlin didn't hide and did quite well; Bernard & Rich both way off the boil today. Also good to see Silva going for the win. As goalless games go, it was a pretty decent game.

....thought we were much better than them. We have quality but we really need ‘brilliance’ in the top third. Brilliance will be my word in the summer window.

I’ll go for Schneiderlin again as MoM. We might lose creativity without Gomes but we look solid with Schneiderlin. I wouldn’t trust the fella, but he’s been MoM the last two games.
Both centre halves and centre midfield were good today. Hard to pick a stand out but I thought Morgan was more imposing today on the ball than he was against united.

It was a bit disappointing not to win, but generally speaking I'm happy with a point away from home, so that'll do. Voted for Zouma but little between him & Gana today. Schneiderlin didn't hide and did quite well; Bernard & Rich both way off the boil today. Also good to see Silva going for the win. As goalless games go, it was a pretty decent game.
Only saw the second half and I think it’s just the result causes the sentiments in this thread. On another day that performance provides an easy win

£15m for Rondon makes more sense than £50m for Vardy. But a player who turns 30 at the start of next season is not the complete solution, due to the absence of resale value - we'd be buying time and relying on DCL becoming a 15 goals-per-season striker within the next 18 months.

Is there a complete solution for 15m? I think you get a lot for a little and as all the signals are that their won't be much money available in the summer value has to be a consideration. Selling Tosun would fund it leaving scarce funds to go to midfield and defence.

The worst thing about this result is every thread having a “missed him today” post.

I know I just flippently plucked it out of thin air and was exaggerated, I think we were rumoured 25m last year anyways.

Problem is the only time we have immediately found a fix in recent times was when we signed Rom. Before and after that we have gone for the cheaper option a little rough around the edges and as such nothing has happened.

So many people fearing EL qualification this year cos we are just "not quite ready", in 12 months time we'll most likely be in the same position with a good-ish striker and it'll be the same concerns. Hard to see another option other than splurging the cash on something certain (albeit not long term) to get us up to that level above we need to be at for European football.
That's where we disagree. I don't believe we will be in the same position with the same concerns. I think we will finish between 5th and 7th next year and qualify for the Europa, provided we sign Zouma and Gomes this summer.

Brands has done an exceptional job so far in refreshing the squad. The players he has brought in are significantly younger (Digne turns 26 in July, as does Gomes; Mina will be 25 in September, Zouma turns 25 in October; Richarlison will be 22 in May and Bernard turns 27 in September. Of the remaining starting eleven, Pickford is only just 25, Keane isn't 27 until next year, Gylfi and Gana both turn 30 in September and Coleman will be 31 in October. Schneiderlin is 30 in November, and DCL is only just 22.

On the bench, Davies is 20. Lookman is 21. OK, Stek (36) and Walcott (30) are both long in the tooth, but Tosun is only 27, and pretty much everyone else is on the way out this summer (Bolasie, Mirallas, Besic, McCarthy, Martina, Niasse, Williams, Ramirez, Tarashaj, Garbutt etc)

Where there ARE age concerns, insofar as age is starting to affect performance (Coleman), we have possible options to come in and split time with the current player: JJK is only 22, as is Holgate.

Almost every player in the starting XI can reasonably be expected to IMPROVE with age over the next 12 to 15 months (with the exceptions of Gylfi and Gana, who are probably at their peaks), so we won't be panicking about replacing a raft of players coming into the twilight of their careers. Compare that to a year ago with Baines, Williams, Jagielka and Rooney in the starting lineup. Or a year or two before that, with Kone and Barry, or Howard, Osman, Pienaar and Hibbert?

My point is, we have almost NOBODY in the starting eleven who needs replacing due to age.

We don't need to panic-buy a "proven" striker right now, because the vast majority of the supporting cast aren't even in their prime yet. They are ALL going to get better next season, including DCL, and we will become more consistent and successful as a consequence.

We can go get a guy who's 23 or 24 and maybe needs a year or two to develop, safe in the knowledge that we can give him a bit of time with continuity around him and allow him to build up an understanding with his wingers, his 10 and his midfield. Alternatively, we can go out and get an older guy to split time with DCL for now, if we believe DCL is going to make it at prem level.

And that's BEFORE we offload Niasse, Tosun, McCarthy, Bolasie, Martina and Ramirez, and reinvest the funds / wages.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.