Coventry (H) - 10 May 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a weird one. Remember being on the train to the Wimbledon game, everyone was pretty much resigned to the drop, there was no way we were beating them.
This time, people were strangely more optimistic. That was an abomination of an Everton team, and we did our best to mess it all up.
Honestly can’t remember much of the game. Only replays bring it all back. I just sat there for much of it, numb and feeling sick.

Indeed.

I honestly never felt we were going down in the build up to that game. It never even occurred to me.

It is only when it is discussed on here occasionally and I look at the final table that I realise how real the danger was :blush:

On the other hand, I never slept a wink with worry in the week leading up to Wimbledon Day.

Gareth Farrelly.....one of Everton’s great unsung heroes ;)

Make absolutely no mistake about it, Howard Kendall saved this club.

That squad was, easily, the worst in Everton history.

What do you think was the second worst?

It is just that Howard put most of that squad together in the summer of ‘97.

He fetched in O’Kane, Williamson, Oster, Farrelly, Bilic and some more.

So by your thinking it could be argued he almost got us relegated as much as you saying he “saved” us :blush:

What do you think was the second worst?

It is just that Howard put most of that squad together in the summer of ‘97.

He fetched in O’Kane, Williamson, Oster, Farrelly, Bilic and some more.

So by your thinking it could be argued he almost got us relegated as much as you saying he “saved” us :blush:

Bilic was one of the better players that season, albeit inconsistent.

I don't think any other man could have lifted his side up after a 4-0 drubbing (should have been much more if Arsenal weren't in party mood), the players were dead.

I remember it being a horrible miserable day and after the cowardly displays against Sheff Wed and Arsenal I was convinced we were gone,the game against Wimbledon I was convinced we would stay up even at 2-0 down,but the Coventry game felt like waiting for a death,thought the atmosphere before hand was very flat,I honestly dont remember much about the game,but didnt feel relief or joy when the whistle went I just felt anger that the club had reached that point
really jc really ,wish you had told me at half time you were so confident, saying that i had completely lost it at that point.

really jc really ,wish you had told me at half time you were so confident, saying that i had completely lost it at that point.
It was weird mate I never had any doubt,even at 2-0 down I was convinced we would stay up,think I was one of the very few who thought that way like,and I enjoyed the celebrations afterwards but the Coventry game left me exhausted and angry,went straight home after it

It was weird mate I never had any doubt,even at 2-0 down I was convinced we would stay up,think I was one of the very few who thought that way like,and I enjoyed the celebrations afterwards but the Coventry game left me exhausted and angry,went straight home after it
I remember harry cross of brookside(not his real name) saying we would win at half time when i was having a go at the BBC fella doing the commentary, me you and my late mum at that game, why were we in the main stand jc ?, cant for the life of me recall ever going in there other than that game.
has anybody got clips of the away game v Bolton 1997 , sure they shouldn't have got that corner they scored off , because of something in the run up to it, might be wrong but recall fuming over something at the time, and something to do with Hinchcliffe the same game.

Chelsea had the Cup Winners Cup Final 3 days after this, they could have easily downed tools on us. I went to every game home and away in the late 90s and I remember sitting in despair at Highbury the week before after that 4-0 drubbing when Tony Adams bursts through like Thierry Henry to smash in the 4th, it was truly the worst Everton team I have ever seen and it was incredible that they stayed up.

I remember harry cross of brookside(not his real name) saying we would win at half time when i was having a go at the BBC fella doing the commentary, me you and my late mum at that game, why were we in the main stand jc ?, cant for the life of me recall ever going in there other than that game.
has anybody got clips of the away game v Bolton 1997 , sure they shouldn't have got that corner they scored off , because of something in the run up to it, might be wrong but recall fuming over something at the time, and something to do with Hinchcliffe the same game.
I thought it was a foul on Southall anyway to be honest.

Dont have a clue why it was the main stand,Id left it to you to get the tickets coz I was working down in Kent in the lead up to the game,sure it was a bank holiday weekend then as well and I missed out on a few 100 quid to go to the game

My main recollction, the first thing I always think of, is Gianluca Vialli. After there game when asked about the significance he said it was important to him that they won becuase it wouldn't of been fair on Everton if they rolled over, always respected him for that
if i remember correctly he scored very late as well, after it was already 1-1 at goodison. we would have gone down if he hadnt scored that goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.