Coventry (H) - 10 May 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played Coventry in league cup in midweek before that derby - we lost 4-1 should've been 10 - as embarrassing a performance by any Everton team I've seen in over 40 years watching us.

Absolute abject fear. Honestly thought we were gonners, and defo didn't think we'd be back any time soon either, we were that bad. Gareth Farrelly is a nice fella and he'll never be forgotten by me for that goal. Glad he's doing well for himself.

After Wimbledon it was pure elation. After Coventry it was pure exhaustion. We should have gone, absolutely should have, and we scraped it by God only knows what luck. Never want to see us that bad again, this season is World Class in comparison.

Thankfully, pre internet/pre blanket coverage, the Coventry game passed me by. As in I saw the result, but not the drama of the day.

Wimbledon was different. Was at Wembley watching a mate play in the FA Trophy final, and my other mate had a tranny with the Everton game on. Despair to elation.

For some reason I felt compelled to get to the ground about 2 hours early even though I had a season ticket. Just a nasty feeling. We'd been shockingly bad all season, like losing to Forest at home was the lowest I think. Barmby was always going to miss. Went back with a piece of pitch which I kept in an old ice cream tub on the window ledge and the letter from the end of the row I sat in the Gwladys

It was a weird game.

I went with my grandad, I was 6. I saw grown men cry, I got hugged I got money handed to me and all sorts off strangers.

I’ve never heard Goodison like it, and I never will, when Barmby missed that penalty. It was ridiculous.

Dublin slotted and it was literally a case of false rumours cropping up everywhere, then you’d get the one man with a wireless going... “the Chelsea fans are singing come on Bolton”, and your heart sank even more, then Vialli slotted twice and all of a sudden Goodison grew a little and Christ we nearly blew it.

What a day, never again please.

For some reason I felt compelled to get to the ground about 2 hours early even though I had a season ticket. Just a nasty feeling. We'd been shockingly bad all season, like losing to Forest at home was the lowest I think. Barmby was always going to miss. Went back with a piece of pitch which I kept in an old ice cream tub on the window ledge and the letter from the end of the row I sat in the Gwladys

Weirdly forest was the season after.

But I remember playing Southampton and Spurs in the same week. At the time we went into the week in 18th. Spurs and Southampton both sat 20th and 19th respectively and at Goodison, we lost both and I think that’s when most people thought... “oh god, here we go again”.

Then cadamarteri goes down just before Christmas at Leicestwr and Speedo slots the 88th minute pen for a 1-0, we beat Bolton 3-2 with Big Duncs only hat trick for us, and beat palace and Chelsea 3-1, and that’s probably what saved us.

We got results against Leeds, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea that season. Just couldn’t beat the fodder.

It had such an emotional impact on me I swore I'd never go again if we stayed up, I didn't need the heartache.
I hated P Johnson for that and welcomed BK with open arms.

20 years later still going but fearful we are slipping back down in terms quality at the moment.

I hope we get the right man in during the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.