2022/23 Conor Coady

Status
Not open for further replies.
The value of signing him permanently would depend on what kind of contract he‘d get. If he was offered reasonable squad wages, Id see it as decent business, but hes in the latter end of his career and I doubt he would accept that - knowing he could get more elsewhere.

As far as Coady is concerned, I find it difficult to get Said Benrahma out of my mind. We were still in the game, albeit one down, when Coady turned like an oil tanker, when Benrahma waltz passed him to score. I'm sure that my 62yr old creaking frame could have made a more effective attempt to stop him.
Absolutely right to have got rid. Surely we should aspire to be better.
I think you may have mistaken Benrahma for Buendia for villa? I don't remember Benrahma scoring against us.

Surely we could have taken him and then moved him on for more money? He's been an England International and recognised by all the England staff for the way he conducted himself at that level. Coady knows his limitations but he also knows he can make up for some of them by the way he encourages players behind the scenes. Clubs need people like that. It's not all about the first 11. That said, Coady has played in multiple positions during his career including midfield and full back. For me, it simply made sense to keep him for no other reason than I believe we could have got at least 6 to 7 million for him by flipping him.

Would I be wrong in thinking that we didn't take him at £4.5 million as we didn't want the figures in this year's accounts which run until the end of June.
Surely on the first of July we could renegotiate a loan or make a lower offer say 3m.A bit snide I know but for years we have been walked all over in the transfer market I personally don't give a monkey's what other clubs think of us they all hate us anyway

He hardly played in the improvement under Dyche and is as slow as a 40 year old. Makes sense to get rid unless they can offload Keane / Holgate etc

A major part of our financial troubles of offering 2/3 year deals to footballers over 30.

Some of you are going on like we've passed up on the chance to sign prime Baresi.

Wolves were happy to lend him to us and give him away at a 'bargain' price. Any idea why? They're just generous? Don't get wrong, he seemed like a nice enough fella and was commited, but come on. He'll end up somewhere like Sheff UTD or Luton.

Best of luck, Conor. Enjoy your time in the world football thread.

Ideally, not good enough to start for us, but too useful to be sat on our bench. If we don’t bring in anyone else, it’s between him and a Branthwaite to start alongside Tarks now Mina has gone. Will we get a better player for less than £4.5mill (even though Coadys sell on value in a few years will be nil)? We should be able to find a younger player who’s value is increasing, but can we be trusted?

A Keane that doesn’t make hideous mistakes is better than Coady. But Keane has consistently made hideous mistakes.

On balance, probably the right decision IF we replace him with a younger version for sensible cash AND Branthwaite hits the ground running and doesn’t do a Lookman and start pining for the club he found it easier to play for.

A major part of our financial troubles of offering 2/3 year deals to footballers over 30.

Some of you are going on like we've passed up on the chance to sign prime Baresi.

Wolves were happy to lend him to us and give him away at a 'bargain' price. Any idea why? They're just generous? Don't get wrong, he seemed like a nice enough fella and was commited, but come on. He'll end up somewhere like Sheff UTD or Luton.

More interested myself with what Dyche can do with Godfrey Braithwaite... Although i reckon Keane is now safe at Everton.

Different gaffer at Wolves who eventually got sacked.

As for the financial troubles part. Nothing to do with buying players over 30. It's the ones we bought under 30 on £100k a week that's the issue.

Personally think he'll be 1st team for Wolves next year. Or at West Ham.

More interested myself with what Dyche can do with Godfrey Braithwaite... Although i reckon Keane is now safe at Everton.
1 of Keane/Holgate/Godfrey will go, maybe 2 if decent enough money for Godfrey is offered. (people forget he was expensive when paying for potential)

I wouldn't be surprised to see another loan come in as cover.

I quite like Coady as he gives all he has, but we have a plethora of CB's (though none very good) and he is the easiest release of them all. I'd like to see Keane and Holgate helping him move.

Status
Not open for further replies.