Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a lot of things in this argument that are totally irrelevant such as speculation either way, it's irrelevant because no one knows, not even the claimed experts.
Those wanting to extend the season for any reason are choosing to be blind to the fact that peoples lives are at stake. Some clubs successfully argued for a winter break based on claims of player burnout, something our league had rejected many times before. Some of those same clubs a long with their fans now argue that next season could easily be extended by 8/10 matches, hypocrisy or what.
The only sensible course of action is to scrub the season totally even if it means that lot across the park being awarded the title because PEOPLES LIVES ARE FAR MORE IMPORTANT than baubles.

In all the arguments about losing TV money why has nobody addressed this? Surely if we play the end of this season and then ruin next season in some shape, the TV deal would be affected again?

At the end of the day, resuming this season is the messiest and most complex thing to do as it stands, and anyone going all around the houses still passionately trying to make a case for it only has one motive. And it shines through as clear as day.

Firstly, everyone agrees people's live are more important and no risks around safety should be involved; any arguement to jib mass gatherings to play behind closed doors are simply nonsense

specifically, to answer why I dont think it should be voided, it is about the sequential nature of football, one season ends, 12 team get promoted, 12 relegated, 7 qualify for Europe and 4 are crowned winners. This idea of bin this season to concentrate on next is ridiculous, answer me this....

If football gets going with a new season (after voiding) in august (or August 2021 for that matter) and there is another breakout of coronavirus in Jan/Feb, what then? Void that one and go again the next august & the same the year after, void again & then year after that.....

this is not a 2 month hiatus and life just goes back to normal and that's it; seasons are intrinsically linked and the "it's easier to just bin it" just doesn't add up in terms of the good of the game, the moral argument or the right thing to do. When it is safe to play, play the next game, if realistic (ie core of players still in contract and still alive).

If your logic for voiding is it's hilarious to see the RS blow their minds and loose it, then that is absolutely fair and very very funny, bit the
Until and if they develop a vaccine life as we know it will never be the same
This aint the flu and it will keep rearing its ugly head till we get a vaccine
Even then it might mutate and we will be chasing our tails getting a new vaccine
Life as we know it will never be the same especially for those over 70 and those with certain underlying symptoms
Lockdowns,partial lockdowns and other restrictions will become the norm for many as will working from home
Watch developers working on security for apps that allow people to work from home

What about all the TV money for next season that they wouldn't get then?

They would still get that. They'd just get it later in the year than they previously would have been used to.

And they'll feel very little financial consequences because of that as most player wages and costs are being deferred during the period in between, same as for a lot of businesses.

Because next season would be either half a season, or crammed into the shortest space of time possible (with all the domestic cups cancelled - a massive source of income for lower league clubs)

Plenty of assumptions there.

Why are you so sure that future seasons MUST run Aug-May? Why must next season be crammed to return to that schedule? It's meaningless.

because they're not going to move the Euros back to December like you've previously suggested.

Why not? They're about to play a World Cup in November and December. The Euro's have been moved once, nothing to suggest they couldn't be moved again if absolutely necessary. Again, nobody knows how this is all going to play out.

However, what I will say is that, in my opinion the impact on club Football will be considered long before the impact on International football (which happen less frequently and bring in less money typically).

Doesn't that just offset the "sizeable" (2 months worth) chunk of TV money that they'd miss out on this season? That's millions of pounds to clubs further down the ladder, for the sake of the rest of this season?

No, because the chunk of TV money, sponsorship money and season ticket money they'd have to pay back has likely already been spent and apportioned.

Would you rather freeze most or all of your outgoings for a few months and not receive a whole lot of income in that period.

OR

Do all that AND pay back a big chunk of cash that you've already had?

Alot of these clubs simply aren't able to do the former, they'll fold, categorically. Not to mention that any new sponsorship money, season ticket money etc that they'd be due for the next season would still be postponed - no business is going to pay out sponsorship money for a season they aren't certain will start for several months (if at all).

In all the arguments about losing TV money why has nobody addressed this? Surely if we play the end of this season and then ruin next season in some shape, the TV deal would be affected again?

It wouldn't, the next TV deal would just commence later.

They would still get that. They'd just get it later in the year than they previously would have been used to.

And they'll feel very little financial consequences because of that as most player wages and costs are being deferred during the period in between, same as for a lot of businesses.

Plenty of assumptions there.

Why are you so sure that future seasons MUST run Aug-May? Why must next season be crammed to return to that schedule? It's meaningless.

Why not? They're about to play a World Cup in November and December. The Euro's have been moved once, nothing to suggest they couldn't be moved again if absolutely necessary. Again, nobody knows how this is all going to play out.

However, what I will say is that, in my opinion the impact on club Football will be considered long before the impact on International football (which happen less frequently and bring in less money typically).

No, because the chunk of TV money, sponsorship money and season ticket money they'd have to pay back has likely already been spent and apportioned.

Would you rather freeze most or all of your outgoings for a few months and not receive a whole lot of income in that period.

OR

Do all that AND pay back a big chunk of cash that you've already had?

Alot of these clubs simply aren't able to do the former, they'll fold, categorically. Not to mention that any new sponsorship money, season ticket money etc that they'd be due for the next season would still be postponed - no business is going to pay out sponsorship money for a season they aren't certain will start for several months (if at all).

"Plenty of assumptions", yet you've just sent me an absolute eyesore of a post with nothing but assumptions in it. 4 paragraphs of assumptions. In fact that’s all your entire “finish the season” crusade has been built on this whole time.

I can't be arsed trying to debate with you anymore Cookachoo, any credibility you had as a WUM evaporated last week and you have just shown the world your true colours by being the only poster on here so vehemently trying to push for this season to be resumed.

The 2019/20 season is as dead as your previous account @Cookachoo

Last edited:

At the end of the day, resuming this season is the messiest and most complex thing to do as it stands, and anyone going all around the houses still passionately trying to make a case for it only has one motive. And it shines through as clear as day.

Exactly, anyone with half a brain, including the players, knows right now resuming this season is in no way viable. We are already 3/4 weeks behind schedule as is, there’s no reason to continue other than for financial greed

Theres 9 games left this season

There is zero possibility that the premier league will risk losing a full season next season to facilitate 9 games.

Anyone who seriously thinks that is deluded.

Losing the TV money for 9 games or losing the TV money for 38 games. Hmmm.... I wonder what they will decide.

This season would need to be completed by mid summer at the very latest (maybe end of july/start of august at very latest) or they wont restart. I reckon UEFA might stick to their 30 june timeframe in any case.

I have the courtesy to answer your question and give some logical reasons why I think it should be continued and all you can say is... "oh wait I know why" you must be a red. It's childish and nonsensical, i've outlined my logic why I dont think it should be voided if avoidable, something you are yet to do, to the best of my knowledge

again answer this.....

If football gets going with a new season (after voiding) in august (or August 2021 for that matter) and there is another breakout of coronavirus in Jan/Feb, what then? Void that one and go again the next august & the same the year after, void again & then year after that.....
Then football as we know it is dead and buried ,and Manchester City will be the reigning PL champions for the next 30 years

Status
Not open for further replies.