Club Statement: Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
but Voiding the season is the best option
How’s that mate?

Wheather the outcome is voiding or resuming, either has the same impact on people’s health - zero.

They’ll resume the current season when it’s safe to do so OR they’ll void and resume the next season when it’s safe to do so.

Either way, we’ll only get back to playing Football when it’s safe to do so.
why Matty ?? I really don't get this point, the reality is that Football will not return until it is safe to do so, there is no way there will be a behind closed doors tournament in the middle of a Pandemic & football will hopefully start again when it is safe to do so.

With this in mind, why does voiding suit better than finishing it up??
best option for what?
@matty1878 have you considered chnaging your usename to thepiedpiper?

Belgian league call time on the 19/20 season. Bruges champions - 15 points clear. No relegation. Two teams promoted. Euro places based on standings when games stopped.

Show me a football league that operates to the schedule you are proposing that performs in any way comparatively to the current PL. It doesn't exist.

Because it doesn’t exist doesn’t mean it can’t exist. Because it doesn’t exist doesn’t mean it would produce worse results than the current format.

Again, my argument isn’t that changing the schedule is a good idea. You’re misinterpreting that message consistently. I’m saying that changing the schedule is the lesser of two evils, a point you agreed has merit.

Likewise, I can see why people want to void, I just don’t agree with it. Nobody, as far as I’m aware, is making out that either is a simple, straight forward choice with no consequences.

For me, I just believe the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Belgian league call time on the 19/20 season. Bruges champions - 15 points clear. No relegation. Two teams promoted. Euro places based on standings when games stopped.

Interesting. Cancellations are moving forward. The are certainly the outlier in terms of what we have done with our leagues and places, and what the Dutch/Italian (and other major leagues) are doing. I suppose with the lack TV funding they won't be sued in the same way.

I think what we can take from this, is a cancellation will be coming, though I doubt the PL will agree to 2 extra teams being promoted (or the EFL) or awarding places for Europe/leagues on that basis. We will be consistent more with UEFA, and the FA, who are very much cancel and void in their approach.

yesterday they agreed two things

1) a consensus to finish leagues across Europe if safe in July & August before the start of the new season
2) If it's not safe to play, they dont play.

So if they finish out, it's going to be by early August at best, then you will have a small between season break before start 20/21 probably early september. If they don't it is unsafe to play and you wont have football returning. Either way, as it stands right now, it looks highly unlikely that 20/21 will start pre Sept

that said - it could get to June, void then & safe to play by August and KO next season on time, but seems unlikely

Err have to find some direct quotes for that please.

Because it doesn’t exist doesn’t mean it can’t exist. Because it doesn’t exist doesn’t mean it would produce worse results than the current format.

Again, my argument isn’t that changing the schedule is a good idea. You’re misinterpreting that message consistently. I’m saying that changing the schedule is the lesser of two evils, a point you agreed has merit.

Likewise, I can see why people want to void, I just don’t agree with it. Nobody, as far as I’m aware, is making out that either is a simple, straight forward choice with no consequences.

For me, I just believe the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Well you keep contradicting yourself. One minute saying it's a lesser of two evils, the next saying there's no evidence it will be impacted. They are different argument. If your position is, it will be bad, but you believe cancelling a season that cannot be completed is worse, I understand that. Thats your opinion and I have no issue with it.

I take the opposite view. We are at a point where we will either protect a 9 game season, or a 38 game season. For me, most clubs have far more to lose financially from not protecting the 38 game season. Therefore, it makes sense to protect this, for the greater good of the majority of football clubs and take the decision to cancel 9 games to save 38.

That is where we are heading with this. One thing I don't want to see, is when the decision taken, for the greater good, supporters abusing or attacking the clubs who did it. Within this context that would be very very poor form.

why are people entertaining these tedious bores in hypothetical arguments? The football isn't getting started in any guise until Covid19 is under control. That isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future, not for weeks, probably not for months, possibly not for a year a two and when it does, Koppites will still be gobshites

why are people entertaining these tedious bores in hypothetical arguments? The football isn't getting started in any guise until Covid19 is under control. That isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future, not for weeks, probably not for months, possibly not for a year a two and when it does, Koppites will still be gobshites

I doubt there is a single poster in this thread who disagrees with you

Interesting. Cancellations are moving forward. The are certainly the outlier in terms of what we have done with our leagues and places, and what the Dutch/Italian (and other major leagues) are doing. I suppose with the lack TV funding they won't be sued in the same way.

I think what we can take from this, is a cancellation will be coming, though I doubt the PL will agree to 2 extra teams being promoted (or the EFL) or awarding places for Europe/leagues on that basis. We will be consistent more with UEFA, and the FA, who are very much cancel and void in their approach.

Yep - for sure the most interesting part of this is an FA making up their own mind one way are another

If your position is, it will be bad, but you believe cancelling a season that cannot be completed is worse, I understand that. Thats your opinion and I have no issue with it.

I have been very consistent that this is my point, no contradiction whatsoever.

I take the opposite view. We are at a point where we will either protect a 9 game season, or a 38 game season. For me, most clubs have far more to lose financially from not protecting the 38 game season. Therefore, it makes sense to protect this, for the greater good of the majority of football clubs and take the decision to cancel 9 games to save 38.

I don't think it's an either / or choice. I believe the 9 game season and the 38 game season can run consecutively, as long as the start point is only when this has abated and it's safe to return to Football. The latter point being something we're all unanimous on, obviously.

I have been very consistent that this is my point, no contradiction whatsoever.

I don't think it's an either / or choice. I believe the 9 game season and the 38 game season can run consecutively, as long as the start point is only when this has abated and it's safe to return to Football. The latter point being something we're all unanimous on, obviously.

Lads - you both know you dont have a point if it is less than 1000 words per post ;-)

I don't see how you could conceivably play the season after months long break and say, with a straight face, that's how it would have ended otherwise. Teams go on runs, teams go on losing streaks. The season is dead as far as Im concerned because this isn't how the season would have ended no matter how you look at it.

Yeah, Liverpool were on a losing run anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.