CL playoff - thoughts re: Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not for me. It's putting dosh for broadcasters first and fairness second.

Don't really agree with the play off in the lower leagues either. After a gruelling 46 game season if you finish 3rd then you're the 3rd best team so you should go up. Losing that to a team who might have finished 20 points behind you is a kick in the teeth.

Just look at Tranmere last weekend.

I don't know about this idea for Champions League, but it is a killer the way the playoffs for promotion work. Losing out to a team so far behind you after a season long journey.

My workmate beside me is a Verona fan so I get updates on their push to get back to Serie A (whether I want them or not!). The way they do it there is the first two go up automatically and then the 3rd place team automatically gets the next promotion spot IF they finish 10pts or more above the next team.

If not, it opens up a playoff between 6 teams....not 100% sure on how that works though.

I think some variation on the above would be much better than automatic playoffs. It should be dependent on how far back the chasing teams are. Fairer, but yeah...less exciting.

What say lads? Should there be a CL playoff in future (I know that's not what the article says exactly but....)

For or against? I know this could be duplicated in World Football but whatever, as long as it's not silly it's ok.

Would you have a CL playoff as a regular thing?

there's one on Sunday 3pm KO - after 37 legs if the rs win it they're in

Not for me. If you miss out on the CL places it's because the teams above you have played better on average and earned their place. I know what the rs would say though if they missed out on 4th......

Nah, the RS would be init every year if it was a play off. We'd come 4th miles ahead of them then get subjected to a two legged tie second leg at Anfield with the ref hell bent on getting the cash cow through.

Not for me. It's putting dosh for broadcasters first and fairness second.

Don't really agree with the play off in the lower leagues either. After a gruelling 46 game season if you finish 3rd then you're the 3rd best team so you should go up. Losing that to a team who might have finished 20 points behind you is a kick in the teeth.
Tranmere agree with this.

top 2 automatically qualifying and 3-6 playoff would be decent. Finishing 4th in the league is now seen as a success, it's a bit weird.

It's a big no from me and it epitomizes the difference between football and American sports. In America, you play all regular season for absolutely nothing other than a playoff spot. Then you play a few games in the playoffs to determine the winner of the entire league... which could be coincendentally when you're off form or a star player gets injured. Complete waste of time if you ask me.

Keep the league format where the best team over the season earns their reward. Knockout competitions provide the excitement for "winner take all" matches.

It's more games in an already demanding schedule. Look at Arsenal and Man United and the games in hand they've had over the last couple of months. Alongside European football, they have struggled to find space to fit these games in hand in. The last thing United would want after playing in a Europa League final is potentially three more fixtures. I don't agree with it really, there is no point for extra games at the end of the season.

Remember before the Premiership, the second bottom team in the first division and the second team in the second division had a play-off to see if one went up or they both stayed. Why not bring that back? Then again, it would probably be a bit more unfair these days with all the money Premiership clubs have so most of the time it would result in Newcastle or someone staying in the league for another season.

Status
Not open for further replies.