CL playoff - thoughts re: Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.
it should be allowed

it happens in every other division in English football so why not the prem

do you think the 3rd place club in the championship moans when 7th gets promoted through play offs? no.

it will make the league more exciting and make it possible for some clubs who have never been able to break into the top 4 to at least have a chance of playing in the champions league if they win via a playoff scenario

I thought they used head to head results as a tie breaker if teams were exactly level on GD and GS at the moment.

I hope I am wrong as that would only favour the RS :(

But in principle yes.....I would favour a play off system for the last CL spot.

The teams finishing 4th through 7th playing off for it would inject some life into the tail end of the season in most years.

Not for me. If we haven't earned it by finishing in the top 3, then I'd hate to have our fate determined by some Italian referee in a play off again.

it should be allowed

it happens in every other division in English football so why not the prem

do you think the 3rd place club in the championship moans when 7th gets promoted through play offs? no.

it will make the league more exciting and make it possible for some clubs who have never been able to break into the top 4 to at least have a chance of playing in the champions league if they win via a playoff scenario

The Brighton Chief exec did when they got knocked out of the playoffs last season to a team that finished 3 places and 15 points behind them, he claimed the current system was unfair and even submitted changes he'd like to see to the Football league board.

I think that counts as a moan.

But in principle yes.....I would favour a play off system for the last CL spot.

The teams finishing 4th through 7th playing off for it would inject some life into the tail end of the season in most years.

System I saw mooted someplace, would see the last champs league spot going into a playoff format between 4-7th, with the losing teams going into the eufa, and the last eufa spot going into a playoof format from 8th-11th, also the teams 15-18th would have a playoff to stay up.

That idea requires an extra eufa spot though.

Basically would mean only teams finishing 12,13,14 would have nothing to play for come seasons end. Tv would be all over it due to it keeping a season alive till the end etc.

The Brighton Chief exec did when they got knocked out of the playoffs last season to a team that finished 3 places and 15 points behind them, he claimed the current system was unfair and even submitted changes he'd like to see to the Football league board.

I think that counts as a moan.

Not for me. It's putting dosh for broadcasters first and fairness second.

Don't really agree with the play off in the lower leagues either. After a gruelling 46 game season if you finish 3rd then you're the 3rd best team so you should go up. Losing that to a team who might have finished 20 points behind you is a kick in the teeth.
Just look at Tranmere last weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.