CL playoff - thoughts re: Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Staff member
What say lads? Should there be a CL playoff in future (I know that's not what the article says exactly but....)

For or against? I know this could be duplicated in World Football but whatever, as long as it's not silly it's ok.

Would you have a CL playoff as a regular thing?

I think this season it's hugely unlikely mate as some of the connotations involved Middlesbrough beating them lot....

But in general, maybe. But Everton obviously bottle it should we get in so maybe not.

I'm not in favour of play-offs unless 2 or more teams cannot otherwise be separated under the rules.

Things are/should be clear in terms of qualifying criteria from the start of the season.

We might get into a Top 4 spot and lose a play-off to a side finishing 5th or 6th.

I don't like it, its just another sop to the broadcasters.

Not for me. It's putting dosh for broadcasters first and fairness second.

Don't really agree with the play off in the lower leagues either. After a gruelling 46 game season if you finish 3rd then you're the 3rd best team so you should go up. Losing that to a team who might have finished 20 points behind you is a kick in the teeth.

I'm not in favour of play-offs unless 2 or more teams cannot otherwise be separated under the rules.

Things are/should be clear in terms of qualifying criteria from the start of the season.

We might get into a Top 4 spot and lose a play-off to a side finishing 5th or 6th.

I don't like it, its just another sop to the broadcasters.
Not for me. It's putting dosh for broadcasters first and fairness second.

Don't really agree with the play off in the lower leagues either. After a gruelling 46 game season if you finish 3rd then you're the 3rd best team so you should go up. Losing that to a team who might have finished 20 points behind you is a kick in the teeth.

These.

You are the 4th best team over 38 games, you deserve that place.

Finishing 30 points adrift of the Champions shouldn't even get you in the Europa league.:blush:

I think the rule should be if we finish outside of the CL spots then a play off should take place up to that place we are in, hopefully an odd number giving us a bye in the first knock out game.

If we finish inside of the usual CL spots then no play off that year. Seems fair to me anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.