Chelsea planning bid for Landon Donovan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh lord I hope he doesn't even consider going to Chelsea with their soulless supporters, graveyard atmosphere, playing with players such as Terry who has no problem shagging(me being British:blink:) his teammates significant others.

Stay away from Chelsea please Landon!:mad:

Good point. If you've seen Landon's wife (they've currently split)... be just the kind of person Terry would set his sight on.. Tell Landon "Go to Chelsea and Terry will consider it open season on your wife".. and see how much it compares...

Seriously.. I think that Landon and Everton fit well tactics wise, and personality wise. I don't see that fit with Chelski, either way.

(oh, and hello everybody.. first time poster from the US)

Good point. If you've seen Landon's wife (they've currently split)... be just the kind of person Terry would set his sight on.. Tell Landon "Go to Chelsea and Terry will consider it open season on your wife".. and see how much it compares...

Seriously.. I think that Landon and Everton fit well tactics wise, and personality wise. I don't see that fit with Chelski, either way.

Welcome to GOT.. You should introduce yourself.. Nice first post though;)

Welcome :)
Hope you brought your own bleach!

I hope he stays with us until the end of the season, before we bid for him in the summer. However I have the feeling he will just go back to America soon and plans for other teams like Chelsea who are looking to sign him will depend on how well he does in the summer during the World Cup.

I wouldn't bet against Chelsea as MLS can get more money from them and its a club fighting for the Champions League and EPL title the last several seasons. Its true that Donovan would have a tougher time getting playing time but I think he's capable of adding something to the team.

People have speculated about a buy-out clause in his new MLS contract but all the reliable information I've found can't confirm this even exists. What I see happening is Everton possibly extending the deal through the end of the season (depends on how CBA negotiations are going) and then Chelsea and Everton will both try for a full transfer after the World Cup.

While Donovan might prefer to stay at Everton where he has established himself, I'm not sure you could turn down the chance to go to a club like Chelsea or that MLS will not go with the highest bidder. As an American, Its great that Donovan has excelled but I'd like to see how he would fare at a club like Chelsea. His performances at Everton have already given more respect and changed attitudes about MLS and American soccer. If he can have similar success at Stamford Bridge, it would continue that.

And also it's not about the money to Donovan but wouldn't he rather have a chance to win an EPL or UEFA CL title? Honestly, that is not a reality at Everton.

This kind of post has been popping up on various American sites.

But frankly, I think the underlying assumption is wrong:

It seems to have more to do with the writer's hopes and dreams than with Donovan's. You just have to look at LD week in and week out to see that he is happy at Goodison. He looks happy, he says he is happy, and he means it.

The thing to know about LD is that he is a real straight shooter. He is honest to a fault--and says precisely what he is thinking... even if it gets him into trouble. So when he says he wants to stay with Everton, he means it....

The thing to know about LD is that he is a real straight shooter. He is honest to a fault--and says precisely what he is thinking... even if it gets him into trouble. So when he says he wants to stay with Everton, he means it....

Unfortunately it is this honestly (loyalty) that is working against us at the moment. 4 months ago, he loved LA and felt quite loyal to them, so he signed his 4 year contract which has him bound to the MLS now.

I hope Everton and the MLS can find a way to make each party happy this season, because if LD does make it back to LA, I fear he has no chance of coming back to everton because the MLS will simply go to the highest bidder, and that will not be everton.

I'm sure Howard is in Donovan's ear left and right about his experience at ManU and how much more he has enjoyed life once he got to goodison. Finding a place where you fit with the team, are loved by the city, and genuinly wanted by the manager is important. At Chelsea he would be a marketing initiative to branch into the US and a bench warmer. He could make more $ and could earn more trophies, but he would play dramatically less and I think be less happy. Landon's loan spell at Bayern Munich has already given him a taste of this.

I think Donovan wanted to prove he could really play in Europe (prove the german league wrong). He came to the right team, in the right city, with the right manager, at the right time. I hope for his sake and ours we can make this happen long term. Sign him up.

He ain't going to Chelsea. He ain't going to ManU.

He ain't going to any other Premier League club.

He ain't going to any other league period.

It's either Everton or the Galaxy.

This is the truth.

You just have to look at LD week in and week out to see that he is happy at Goodison. He looks happy, he says he is happy, and he means it.

The boy is flat out giddy... can't stop smiling to save his life and I love to see him this way.

No disrespect to Donovan, but you would think Chelsea would be after a considerably better (Silva, Perotti etc) type of player than him.

I think Ancilotti is just forming opinions based on what he watched. Donovan tore up his defense, so that's the manager's perspective. If I'm a manager and just watched a national-team starter get demoralized by this guy, I'd want him too. lol

All joking aside, this is just a story about Ancilotti's wants, not what he's getting. When he talks, the papers will print it. He can want Landon all day long..... doesn't mean Landon's going there guys. :cheers:

The only way I see Landon going to Chelsea, is if Moyes can't/won't pony up the cash for a transfer for Landon. I think Landon might have the opinion that playing for a perennial title-competition team in the EPL is better than not playing in the EPL at all.... and this is all only if he can't make Everton work. I'd be very surprised if Everton wasn't his first choice. ;)

He could eat an Apple through a Tennis racket,
This made me spill coffee on the keyboard! lol

Welcome! And I laughed at your "Terry will nik your ex" comment. :D

You guys also have to realize Donovan has a bunch of friends & people he's comfortable with at Everton. (namely Howard). He has no such comforts at Chelsea. The only way he goes to Chelsea is if he can't come here first.

I think Ancilotti is just forming opinions based on what he watched. Donovan tore up his defense, so that's the manager's perspective. If I'm a manager and just watched a national-team starter get demoralized by this guy, I'd want him too. lol

All joking aside, this is just a story about Ancilotti's wants, not what he's getting. When he talks, the papers will print it. He can want Landon all day long..... doesn't mean Landon's going there guys. :cheers:

The only way I see Landon going to Chelsea, is if Moyes can't/won't pony up the cash for a transfer for Landon. I think Landon might have the opinion that playing for a perennial title-competition team in the EPL is better than not playing in the EPL at all.... and this is all only if he can't make Everton work. I'd be very surprised if Everton wasn't his first choice. ;)

This made me spill coffee on the keyboard! lol

Welcome! And I laughed at your "Terry will nik your ex" comment. :D

You guys also have to realize Donovan has a bunch of friends & people he's comfortable with at Everton. (namely Howard). He has no such comforts at Chelsea. The only way he goes to Chelsea is if he can't come here first.

very well said... if there were not MLS contract right now, Donovan would be at Goodison in a heartbeat. I find it kind of strange that Moyes would want to wait until after the WC when his stock could potentially go up costing the club more money

If that does happen, then the bigger clubs (namely Chelsea) would be viable options...but if...and ONLY if... Everton can get it done.

...... or if man city comes in and offers him some outrageous amount of money as they so often do :dodgy: .... everyone has their price at some point.

I would hate to have to cheer against an American player, especially Landon, but even my loyalty to American soccer can't overcome my hatred for all things Chelsea. Hell, I met a woman named Chelsea a few months ago and I had an overwhelming desire to punch her in the face.

I think Landon will do whatever he can to be back at Everton. After his stints in Germany, Landon seems aware that finding a club that he fits in with is extremely important to his success. And to be honest, I think more than anything Landon at this point just wants general recognition for being a high quality soccer player. I think he also wants to prove to the idiot American supporters that labelled him "Landycakes," and to the larger soccer world in general who considered him a small fish in a big pond, that he he has that quality. Landon just doesn't seem like the type that is motivated to squeeze every penny possible out of his career by playing for the biggest club possible. Some people know when they find a good situation and are content to stay in it. Landon seems like he is at that place in his career. I agree with the poster that said its Everton or LA.

If he goes to Chelsea the lad will be nothing more than a bench warmer and he doesn't seem to be the sort of character who would want to fill such a role... he belongs at Everton were he will be appreciated

I wouldn't be against any other team coming up with more than Everton to pay off MLS...

...however Landon won't want to play with those clubs so it makes it a moot point.

It's Everton or no one at all for a whole host of reasons that I'm too lazy to post.

I think that all US posters are in agreement with you on this one.

Probably 90% of US soccer fans want LD to stay at Everton, and never see him step a foot on US soil except for US National Team practices. (See the foxsoccer site and their poll is 85% pro Everton).

It started out with the news back in December, that LD might be coming over to the EPL, your reaction was, OK, maybe a Yank could make it, but with weeks? Can't we do better? To, now Everton's acceptance, and then overwhelming support.

Go to anywhere but Everton, he would be strung up in the states.

Oh, and about the USMNT's chances in the world cup. LD, given all of the injuries, will have to put that team on his back, and as that Utube video goes, I am sailing this ship on my own....

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.