Chelsea planning bid for Landon Donovan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfeyerherm

Player Valuation: £25k
I just saw an article on The People (people.co.uk) that is reporting Chelsea are targeting Landon Donovan. He would replace Joe Cole who is rumored to be going to Man United. I don't know this site that well and how credible they are but it doesn't look good for Everton holding onto Donovan even if it extends the loan deal. I don't know if I buy the story and it could just be rumors or speculation. It wouldn't be the first time a story appeared in a media outlet that proved to have little factual basis.

Here's the article (I'm not sure if I can post links so I'll just post the text of the article)

Sir Alex Ferguson is locked in negotiations to mastermind an audacious Michael Owen-style free transfer swoop for Chelsea star Joe Cole.

People Sport understands the Manchester United boss has spoken with the club's hierarchy about a move for Cole who is out of favour at Stamford Bridge - and out of contract this summer.

Chelsea plan to replace Cole with £10million-rated American star Landon Donovan.

Sources close to Cole say the 28-year-old star is excited at the prospect of reviving his career under Ferguson, a manager who has admired him for 15 years.

Ferguson tried to nick Cole from West Ham while he was a schoolboy but was thwarted by the refusal of Harry Redknapp - then Hammers boss - to sell the talented youngster.

But Fergie has remained an admirer - and now the United chief has his best-ever chance of landing the Chelsea midfielder for nothing this summer.

Cole suffered a cruciate ligament injury in January 2009 and although he returned to action last September, he hasn't held a regular starting place under Carlo Ancelotti.

Chelsea have so far failed to offer Cole any encouragement that the two parties can come to an agreement on a new deal with club sources claiming Cole's £100,000-a-week demands are excessive for a player just recovering from a major injury.

It has been reported that Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich won't sanction such a massive new deal for Cole - and his days at the Bridge look numbered.

With Portuguese ace Deco set to join Cole through the Stamford Bridge exit door this summer, Ancelotti has earmarked Donovan as an ideal replacement.

Ancelotti has been so impressed with the Los Angeles Galaxy forward during his loan spell with Everton, that he has asked club chiefs to open talks with Major League Soccer chiefs about a permanent transfer.

Success

Donovan, 28, is due to return to LA for the start of the MLS season after today's Premier League clash with Hull - although Everton boss David Moyes hopes to extend the loan deal.

But Moyes knows Everton cannot afford to sign the player on a permanent basis.

Donovan's spell at Goodison Park has been such a success that the player is said to be tempted by the prospect of a permanent move to the Premier League.

And Ancelotti believes Donovan would fit perfectly into a front three with Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka.

Like all MLS players, Donovan's registration rests with the League rather than his club and Chelsea would have to negotiate with them.

He's not a chelsea type player for me. They would never play him upfront where he's most effective and on the wings they could do with someone better although I'm not disrespecting sir landon here but a club like us which is always on the up with the squad standing together nomatter what happens...this is the place for him for sure but will he wana play as a winger permanently, I'm not sure.

Landon would be a flop at Chelsea.

On the plus side, we would be able to pick him up for 25% of his value the following summer.

Can't see him wanting to be the squad filler that he would be at the bridge, from mls where he is the leagues biggest name (homegrown) to being just another number who gets the occasional appearance, nah cant see it myself. he will realise that what he is getting at Everton is far more than he would get at Chelski.
He wants to play football, not warm the bench at the bridge.

its all paper trash.

first cole has stated he doesnt want to leave london - put money on him going to spurs or back to west ham.

second- landon is available for 2.6 million (so ive seen from a various number of sources) so why would chelsea be lining up a bid of £10 million ?

im sure these papers just pick bits of paper out of a hat with different teams , players and prices written on them and then just make up a story to fit.

To start off-Go and get F*cked Ancelotti!Thats just incase.
the paper says-Everton know they cant afford to buy him.Eh?Donovan has a £3m buy out.If we cant get him for that then I give up all hope of progress for our club.Also,what if the player doesn't want to play for Chelski?Did that Cock,Abramobitch or his Tart,Ancelotti,Think of that?I will ask Landon himself later for any opinions on the subject.

No disrespect to Donovan, but you would think Chelsea would be after a considerably better (Silva, Perotti etc) type of player than him.

They cant even get the facts correct.

One of the other Sunday's had us getting Gary Neville at the end of the season on a 1 year contract.

Obviously no one told them we have potentially 5 right backs at the club.... Phil Neville, Hibbert, Coleman, Heitinga and Gosling... ffs

If ever there were reasons to stop reading sunday newspapers its bollocks like that and the Donovan story.

I'm sure they just sit in their offices with player faces attached to dart boards, throwing them then picking club names out of hats in order to write a story! (n)

Why? If hes good enough for Everton, hes good enough for the rent boys we smashed at Goodison.

Its more that, for instance, Silva is both better than and younger than him, and the selling club have a clear incentive to sell him - whereas the MLS dont.

I could see how this *might* be true... and I think it is a good credit to Donovan and his game, but it would be a HORRIBLE decision for him if he did end up going there... Bayern Munich all over again.

Landon would be a flop at Chelsea.

On the plus side, we would be able to pick him up for 25% of his value the following summer.

lol very true.

Look, this rumor looks like a load of crap to me. I hardly believe Chelsea would try to buy Donovan given his style of play. I also have a tough time believing Donovan would accept a Chelsea move given the amount of quality & depth they currently have in their midfield (Lamps, Deco, Ballack, Essien, Obi Mikel, Malouda, & Zhirkov). He'd never be able to play, which, if you remember his three loan stints in Germany, is a peeve of his given the talent he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.