2020/21 Cenk Tosun

Status
Not open for further replies.
True,but a bit like Niasse he scored a brace in what could have been pivotal game in a season that might have seen us dragged towards the trap door.

We'll always have Millwall.

Brought him on in the second half of that cup tie and he promptly scored to put us up a goal. He's a donkey and it was a donkey goal but it was a monsoon in a hostile environment and an opponent at the lower end of the Championship who were more interested in stomping ankles than playing football, so donkey work was what was called for and he came through.

Of course we know what happened but for a few minutes I bet the online shop sold one or two #14 kits.

I remember thinking the other week as the camera scanned down the Turkish team,that he'd have looked like their embarrassing uncle at a family party.

It's a shame that it hasn't worked out for Cenk Tosun, but I do feel that he was burdened with unreasonable expectations goals wise. His whole recruitment had a feel of someone looking up his stats on the internet and viewing a couple of five-minute videos of him on youtube, then thinking "this bloke seems good, let's buy him".
I'd be very surprised if he gets much playing time with us; hopefully, Rafå can use some of his connections and work on a plan with Brands to offload him. Deep down though, I'd love him to turn it around with us and start doing the business.

It’s unreasonable to expect a £27m centre forward to look like scoring at a better rate than 1 in 6?

It’s unreasonable to expect a £27m centre forward to look like scoring at a better rate than 1 in 6?
Just because we were daft enough to pay £27m for him it doesn't mean he suddenly develops the ability to do what you want him to do. More research was needed to see what was out there, but it seemed like we just input the required criteria we wanted from a player into a computer then went with the name it spat out. I think everyone just decided, a bit like with Kean, he was going to get us the goals we wanted and that was that. A lot of questions needed to be asked about our recruitment system/policy, to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.