Ive been thinking the same thing ;)

Im excited to see this line up:

Pickford
Holgate Keane Mina Godfrey
Doucoure Allan
Richarlison James Digne
DCL

That has a bit of everything...
I see absolutely zero reason to change that back 4 at all and playing Digne as a wide left player is perfect, as he is up and down constantly anyway, now with the added security of a solid and quick player behind him.

What about playing Digne wide left, Richy on the right (he plays there for Brazil) and James as a 10

Or
4312 with Digne and Iwobi in the midfield with Doucoure and James as a 10 and DCL and Richy upfront

I agree, the back 4 look too solid to change

I know. That’s why I asked. It was 17, and I I recall he bagged like 4 in the last match of the season with West Brom in some wild draw. I think it might’ve been against United actually.
He came on as a sub ,scored a hat trick
The first time United surrendered a 3 goal lead in Fergusons time there
They were 3 up twice in the game
Fergusons 1500th and final game in charge of United

What about playing Digne wide left, Richy on the right (he plays there for Brazil) and James as a 10

Or
4312 with Digne and Iwobi in the midfield with Doucoure and James as a 10 and DCL and Richy upfront

I agree, the back 4 look too solid to change

100%. Posted a few weeks ago digne shouldnt just come back in at left back. I dont care who's playing at the back tbh. Clean sheets are clean sheets.
He's also a better player than a defender so it works for me.

I don't think the 4 centre halves thing is a long term solution. It's worked to a point recently but it has it's limitations, as evidenced by the West Ham, United and Sheffield United games when we really struggled to create anything due to lack of width. It isn't easy to build from the back with it either, which means some of our football can be boring (not that important as long as you win) and sloppy (very important regardless of the result). I'm also not sure Digne will be so keen to sign a new contract if he's not going to be playing left back. He ain't getting in the France team as a winger, he'll want to cement his place in their squad and if we're not going to play him in a position where he can do it, we may well find he wants to go somewhere where they will. It's fine for now, and for certain games where we expect to be on the back foot, but I really don't want it to become the norm.

I don't think the 4 centre halves thing is a long term solution. It's worked to a point recently but it has it's limitations, as evidenced by the West Ham, United and Sheffield United games when we really struggled to create anything due to lack of width. It isn't easy to build from the back with it either, which means some of our football can be boring (not that important as long as you win) and sloppy (very important regardless of the result). I'm also not sure Digne will be so keen to sign a new contract if he's not going to be playing left back. He ain't getting in the France team as a winger, he'll want to cement his place in their squad and if we're not going to play him in a position where he can do it, we may well find he wants to go somewhere where they will. It's fine for now, and for certain games where we expect to be on the back foot, but I really don't want it to become the norm.
I very much doubt he won’t sign a contract because he played 1 game on the left.
He seems like the player who loves to play football and will play anywhere, he was excellent at CB in the 2 games he played there

Interesting.
I mean you could flip that around and say we won games because of the back four giving the platform by not conceding just as much as looking at the west ham game.
It all depends on who comes in over the next 6/12 months.
As much as i like digne( could be any other player tbh) i will take the solid foundation of clean sheets and not conceding many over the attacking option.
We'd all love both. Reality is its a very select few who get both spot on and successful. You really need personel of a whole team to get that.

Status
Not open for further replies.