2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally league position is the key for me. I think what we're asking Ancelotti to do is catapult us up the league, rather than just get more points, if that makes sense. I think we're asking him to outperform the Wolves or Leicesters of the world, whether that means getting 55 points or 65. I've said plenty of times, 7th would be a 'good' return for me, anything above that would be very impressive, anything lower would be disappointing, bottom half would be unacceptable. But yes, obviously getting 60 points would put us very much in that 7th bracket so that would be fine.

Of course we are asking him to do that. But we were in bad shape when he arrived. We finished 8th the season before, but a huge amount of that was due to Gana, who we have lost. I'm probably a bit old fashioned butI do think it takes a manager a period of time to begin to get their own print on a team.

Wolves and Leicester had a big head start on us when Ancelotti arrived. Settled teams, in and around the top 6, Wolves out spent us in the summer etc. Yes we want to overtake both, but I'm not going to slaughter the manager if he doesn't do it in his 1st full season in charge.

The Spitter pointed out the problem with the midfield again just now.

Doucoure, Allan, Richy all made Kalvin Phillips look like Pirlo popping balls down either channel against our non-fullbacks. No one really engaged with him all game and spend a large chunk jockying space to keep a shape.

The same happened against Fulham. No one engaged play so they played little one twos between in the lines as we held a shape.

Personally still think he needs that holding midfield player who's robust but will to sit and barely step over the halfway line. It just allows more freedom to engage play for the rest of the team.

At the moment, the sides looking decent tend to have that player that rarely ventures forward. You look at Hojberg, Kovacic, Kante, Rodri, Wjinaldum...none of them barely set foot outside the centre circle.
Schniederfraud?

Just read that Athletico Madrid have a debt of £895 million and need to cut costs.

Now If Carlo hasn't us in europe or a trophy win come the seasons end could we take advantage and attract Simeone away with the promise of funds to spend that he likely wont be getting at the Spanish club going forward?

One things for sure Diego would fit Everton and the Dogs of War like a glove.

I don't think he would come, and for £20m+ a year I'm really not sure he is much better than Ancelotti. It might be worth considering some of their players though.....

Ancelotti is going nowhere for a while.

Criticising some of his decisions should not equate to wanting him gone or any talk of it.

He hasn't been good enough as of late and hasn't been helped by our crap squad, which isn't on him.

His decisions are and some of them have been really poor, but equally we were genuinely brilliant up until the derby, apart from 20/30 minute spells v WBA and Brighton and then Pickford's madness in the League Cup v Fleetwood.

Of course we are asking him to do that. But we were in bad shape when he arrived. We finished 8th the season before, but a huge amount of that was due to Gana, who we have lost. I'm probably a bit old fashioned butI do think it takes a manager a period of time to begin to get their own print on a team.

Wolves and Leicester had a big head start on us when Ancelotti arrived. Settled teams, in and around the top 6, Wolves out spent us in the summer etc. Yes we want to overtake both, but I'm not going to slaughter the manager if he doesn't do it in his 1st full season in charge.
I'm not going to slaughter him either, but without wanting to keep repeating myself in different threads, let's not make out like we've set up for a long term project here. We've signed a lot of players at their peak on relatively short contracts, the idea that we need to give it 3 years to see it come to fruition just doesn't stack up. If that was the plan we should have invested in younger players, be playing the younger players we have, and to be perfectly honest, probably have employed a manager with a track record of improving teams in that way. We appear to have done things as if we're trying to accelerate the process, so if we don't then it's a failure. It doesn't mean he'll have to be sacked or whatever, but it will still be a failure.

Ancelotti is going nowhere for a while.

Criticising some of his decisions should not equate to wanting him gone or any talk of it.

He hasn't been good enough as of late and hasn't been helped by our crap squad, which isn't on him.

His decisions are and some of them have been really poor, but equally we were genuinely brilliant up until the derby, apart from 20/30 minute spells v WBA and Brighton and then Pickford's madness in the League Cup v Fleetwood.
It’s apparent we need another midfielder. That isn’t on Carlo. Also, we can’t fold every time we have a dodgy and/or bad result against Liverpool. Whatever inferiority complex we have with them, we need to drop it and stop letting those fixtures get to us. Everton FC need to grow up.

But he is in control of who he plays, what he plays and who he has on the bench. Carlo has made some daft decisions and he needs to give his head a shake. If he does indeed have a weird grudge against Gordon and/or hesitance to play youngsters, he needs to grow up. Everton in general need to drop this self-saboteur crap.

I'm not going to slaughter him either, but without wanting to keep repeating myself in different threads, let's not make out like we've set up for a long term project here. We've signed a lot of players at their peak on relatively short contracts, the idea that we need to give it 3 years to see it come to fruition just doesn't stack up. If that was the plan we should have invested in younger players, be playing the younger players we have, and to be perfectly honest, probably have employed a manager with a track record of improving teams in that way. We appear to have done things as if we're trying to accelerate the process, so if we don't then it's a failure. It doesn't mean he'll have to be sacked or whatever, but it will still be a failure.

I agree entirely with the sentiment of that really. I wouldn't use "failure" as the term but I'm completely on board with the concept that not kicking on lies someone between acceptability and worthy of being sacked/slaughtered. I'd say underwhelming.

You are right to point out we haven't gone down the long term route. If you do that, you could get Hassunhuttl or Nagelsman or maybe even Simeone or whatever and give them time to build. I do wonder if that was what we weresupposed to be doing with Koeman then particularly Silva, but each in their own way didn't do that (particularly Koeman). For me what we do with Ancelotti at least feels a bit closer to what the chairman wants to do.

There are things he's done that have worked too. Allan has been good and James has been sensational. Calvert Lewin has really kicked on and I do think Richarlinson will kick into gear. I have no real worries about us going that way.

The flip is, the other way is a bit of a horrorshow. It's not made easier by losing our fullbacks, but it is what it is. We seem a way off. I want to see more of Fulham Doucoure (not necessarily the goal) but the guy who stands in front of the defence and protects it, he does it one game and you think "wow" then does nothing of the sort and I really struggle to work it all out.

Back to point though, we aren't going the long term route, but we have only had 1 window going the short term route. I think we will be open to loans at the very least in January. It's stupid for the club to just assume Ancelotti is going to Hassanhuttl these into shape. I have no idea whats happened to Cheilini, but I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of mad loans came in like that. Older players, in defensive positions looking to keep their spot for the Euro's.

Again it doesn't solve your long term issue, but it helps players kick on. DCL is kicking on because of James. I watch Thiago Silva at Chelsea and think if he was here, he goes a long way to sorting our defence. You hav to work with what youve got and Ancelotti's contact book is a big asset.

I do also think it's worth noting, even though we are not trying to go the long term route, 1 year, or 1 window will not be enough either. We need to see we are going in the right direction. Some of that might be we end the season better than the first half. Even with the relative short termism though, I still think patience will be important.

And I will say while Allan is overall the better player, Gana could fill the role of two men. Gana was an energy guy that could tackle anyone and be everywhere on the pitch. Allan is positionally sublime but less active than Gana. That is the difference between the two and why we struggle to carry the likes of Gomes in the midfield like we used to.

We need to find one more well rounded partner for Allan or the next Gana/Kante type. That should be Carlo’s priority in one of the future windows.

The idea of a man on £11m p/a being sacked for not meeting expectations is ludicrous?

We sacked Sam Allardyce for finishing 8th and yet Ancelotti will get a free ride because of things he achieved at other clubs?

He either wins us a cup or gets European football or he can leave.

Our competition for 7th place is Leicester, Aston Villa, Wolves, Southampton and West Ham. If he can’t best the likes of Moyes and Smith then why the hell is he here?
Would you agree that it’s fair to criticise some of the decisions he’s made recently that he’s got badly wrong and have cost us? Because that’s all most people in here are doing. There’s absolutely no serious talk of sacking him whatsoever, that’s just something that’s been invented by people who can’t accept that he’s made questionable decisions recently that are being called out.

Anyone calling for him to be sacked at this moment in time is a lunatic and an idiot. Anyone refusing to acknowledge that he’s made a lot of poor judgement calls recently is naive.
Shhhh mate, your not allowed to criticise Carlo. You'll upset our new messiah 's disciples.

The idea of a man on £11m p/a being sacked for not meeting expectations is ludicrous?

We sacked Sam Allardyce for finishing 8th and yet Ancelotti will get a free ride because of things he achieved at other clubs?

He either wins us a cup or gets European football or he can leave.

Our competition for 7th place is Leicester, Aston Villa, Wolves, Southampton and West Ham. If he can’t best the likes of Moyes and Smith then why the hell is he here?

I can see where you're coming from in regards to his wages of £11.5m a year (only Mourinho, Klopp and Guardiola earn more in the prem) and that we should be expecting silverware or Europe (both can still happen) I still think that even if we don't win silverware or get into Europe that Ancelotti has to be given this January transfer window and next Summer's window then he can be rightfully judged. Also, he should be rightly criticised for tactics, defeats etc, there just shouldn't be any calls for his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.