2020/21 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least he sees what he lacked. The question is will he put himself in the same situation next week or try to rectify it.
HA, that’s true, jeez if he didn’t think we lacked speed after watching that then you’d be worried.

He’s not a fool though, he knew the team had no pace before we kicked off and picked the team anyway so it’s a tad annoying to hear him come out after the game and say we lacked speed.

God knows what he’ll do next week, don’t think he knows. Doesn’t seem to think gordon’s ready and can’t see what other options he has that add gas. He’s given various squad players an opportunity, whoever he puts in seems to let him down. Only saving grace is United haven’t had a great start to the season in the league and we have done well against them recently at Goodison.

If Carlo was so interested in speed then why did he bring in Rodriguez and Allan, keep Gomes and Siggi whilst loaning out the likes of Walcott and Kean.
It’s a good question - could be a number of reasons it planned out like that. Football’s not all about speed, you need a balance. We have balance with Ritchie and DCL in the team, they compliment other players around them and give the team a dynamic edge. With one or heaven forbid both of them out the team we really do become a bit predictable and struggle.

It was a stupid team selection, I really don't know what he was thinking. We played exactly how I expected us to when I saw the line-up. Sideways passing and zero penetration.
Just trying to think through the logic I think he thought we could have Andre and Gylfi come central as kind of dual playmakers and push the fullbacks on to threated with crosses from wide. But what he didn't account for was that Nkounkou in his first PL game wasn't ready to handle a flank by himself and is better when he can interplay with the winger anyway and that Kenny isn't the athlete needed to do it on his side. Also Gylfi and Andre are horrid open play playmakers.

So I think that was the thinking, but it is a pretty poor thought process and the right answer was just to play wingers even if Bernard and Iwobi are quite bad and he doesn't trust Gordon.

Someone made the point in the match thread that today was one of those games where you just have to grind out some result. Disappointed that the players and manager couldn't do that. It's days like today where salvaging a point or winning by the odd goal gets you into Europe at the end of the season.

On another note, that's 4 games in a row where we've conceded 2 goals. You aren't winning many football matches with a record like that. Needs sorting very quickly.

Just trying to think through the logic I think he thought we could have Andre and Gylfi come central as kind of dual playmakers and push the fullbacks on to threated with crosses from wide. But what he didn't account for was that Nkounkou in his first PL game wasn't ready to handle a flank by himself and is better when he can interplay with the winger anyway and that Kenny isn't the athlete needed to do it on his side. Also Gylfi and Andre are horrid open play playmakers.

So I think that was the thinking, but it is a pretty poor thought process and the right answer was just to play wingers even if Bernard and Iwobi are quite bad and he doesn't trust Gordon.
This was basically the plan i’d say. Not unreasonably, given the players he picked, thought our fullbacks were our best wide attackers for the day and wanted to get them as far forward as possible. As you say neither Kenny or Niels we’re able to make much headway - he forgot one thing, they’re not actually wingers and needed a bit of help out there. His big issue was Doucoure and Delph dropping into the fullback positions (to make space for Gomes and siggi) but also to let Kenny and Niels go high. Neither of them ventured forward over the half way line so Niels and or Kenny were easily marked. When they did get the ball the designated fullbacks Douc and Delph never offered an option on the overlap, looked like they’d been told not to, so there was no space for them or options. It would have been a tough ask to stick two wingers out there and do what he was asking of Niels and Kenny, never mind two young fullbacks.

It’s hard to see how it could have turned out differently but listening to Carlo post match sounds like he knew that we’d be struggling to create and planned for a tight game, classic keep it tight and try to pinch one at the end.

Might be we’re trying to find logic where there isn’t any, he wasn’t setting up to win or be fluid going forward.

I love the man, but all managers can have mares, and today Carlo shat the bed with his tactics and selection, it happens. I hope he isn't falling into the trap of his predecessors, by trusting some of these frauds to actually give a shoite!

He should have a couple of the 1st choice 11 back for utd, so I'm sure our showing will be better. Richy is the big miss, and if I was flash I would be knocking on Carlos door after today asking "wharrabout me boss!"

It's going to be interesting to see who he picks when we've got as many out as we had today, in future games - he can't go like he did today ever again and surely the times up for a few of the koeman/Silva brigade.

This was basically the plan i’d say. Not unreasonably, given the players he picked, thought our fullbacks were our best wide attackers for the day and wanted to get them as far forward as possible. As you say neither Kenny or Niels we’re able to make much headway - he forgot one thing, they’re not actually wingers and needed a bit of help out there. His big issue was Doucoure and Delph dropping into the fullback positions (to make space for Gomes and siggi) but also to let Kenny and Niels go high. Neither of them ventured forward over the half way line so Niels and or Kenny were easily marked. When they did get the ball the designated fullbacks Douc and Delph never offered an option on the overlap, looked like they’d been told not to, so there was no space for them or options. It would have been a tough ask to stick two wingers out there and do what he was asking of Niels and Kenny, never mind two young fullbacks.

It’s hard to see how it could have turned out differently but listening to Carlo post match sounds like he knew that we’d be struggling to create and planned for a tight game, classic keep it tight and try to pinch one at the end.

Might be we’re trying to find logic where there isn’t any, he wasn’t setting up to win or be fluid going forward.

Sorry but playing a really negative midfield 5 with no pace, no creativity and no attacking intent against Newcastle simply isn't acceptable.

Carlo has created a side that relies entirely on the front two plus the creativity of Rodriguez.

Carlo is doing what he has done for the last decade.

He is a nice guy whom players relate to and want to play for. He goes in and the results initially pick up. That goodwill doesn't last though because he is tactically out dated and doesn't believe in intense training sessions.

A good first season has been followed by a downturn in fortunes that has resulted in him being sacked. That has happened at Chelsea, Madrid, Bayern and Napoli. What we are seeing at the moment isn't Everton breaking Carlo but just history repeating itself.

I will undoubtedly get slaughtered for this post but it needs saying.

mate he’s took over a team ... no... squad of crap players .. basically richy and digne were the only ones that we could say were decent when he arrived . He’s had one window and recruited a world class player and a couple of decent ones. Importantly he strengthened the weakest part of the team. He’s stillhaving to use players signed fat fat sam ffs. He’s improved Keane massively , digne , dcl hugely and has got us through the league cup and second in the league. We had 4 players out .. important players . These players being our meant both our flanks were unrecognisable from front to back ...you can’t play with delph , siggy , Gomes in midfield and expect a decent performance . They are all to slow ... so he shouldn’t pick them right , so playing davies is going to help? He’s slower than siggy ... maybe iwobi ? After getting hauled of at half time after one of the worst footballing performances I have seen... maybe Gordon? Playing him on left? Ahead of a 20 year old with 4 senior games in French 4 th decision to his name and making his debut ? Or on the right ahead of Kenny who looks like a league one player ? Carlo has no options and this is going to be the case u til bolasie and co run their contracts down and leave

Status
Not open for further replies.