2019/20 Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
imagine you’re Mason Holgate and you’ve had years of Martinez and Silva telling you stuff about zonal marking making you look like a fool Eve try week then Ancelotti comes in and just lays down the art of defending and turns you into one of the best centrebacks in the league in a few months.

Its actually quite amazing isnt it, id throw Keane in there too.

What impressed me last night was controlling the tempo and holding pocession of the ball, the game plan as i see it was hold pocession, turn the screw, make them desperate, gaps appear, nick one and give them nothing.

It's not a rigid 4.4.2 though. When we lose the ball it's 4.4.2. In attack it's 3.5.2 or 4.3.3.

Carlo knows

Even if it was a fairly rigid 442, I'm OK with defensive solidity being the main focus in this run of games.

And Sigurdsson coming on yesterday and the full backs pushing up (so almost like the 3-5-2 you mention) made the big difference, so we have shown flexibility to take over the match.

i think once we get better players we can do this against beter teams

I was thinking to myself last night that its actually really tough to be an everton player and manager - we inhabit that space in the league were smaller teams will sit back and try and frustrate us and we need skill sets to break them down, then there are games were teams in the CL spots will open up against us and we need to be solid.

Sheff Utd and Burnley for example - will play the same way all year and just sit back and frustrate. City, Mordor and Utd like wise - will just go after teams. Different teams set up differently against us, with some teams respecting us by sitting back and we have to break them down and others going on the front foot and trying to batter us. We have to play differently almost all of the time.

That Newcastle game is really odd isnt it? Almost am aberration of the 13 games Ancelotti has played.

On the whole we look very calm when ahead, and even in the derby we looked very calm under pressure. I dont think the performance level is miles better, but that knowledge of getting over the line is almost unrecognisable now. Under Silva, after that 1st half, with a fatigued squad we lose that game. Its Fulham away last year all over.

In fairness the penny appears to be dropping with a lot of the players. I think Pickford has actually been very good the last 2 games. Not just the saves made, but how hes held himself and how hes commanded his box. Likewise Sigurdsson has done well from the bench. Nothing flash, but just doing what needs to be done to avoid conceding.

I think that one who stands out not to have done that is Davies really. He still seems to make the same mistakes. Sigurdsson is very limited, but him coming on changed the game yesterday. That says more about Davies than Sigurdsson. He needs to get with the programme.

We obviously have a lot of players out, and it's a crying shame Gbamin got injured as we miss that presence, but it's hard not to be impressed with the shape/application, even though the quality is still missing. There was a spell yesterday where we just kept the ball for 3 minutes. Just completely wound the clock down. It was good to see.
Pickford maybe benefiting from empty stadia? He doesn't have a crowd to do his bantz with and lose his focus.

I was thinking to myself last night that its actually really tough to be an everton player and manager - we inhabit that space in the league were smaller teams will sit back and try and frustrate us and we need skill sets to break them down, then there are games were teams in the CL spots will open up against us and we need to be solid.

Sheff Utd and Burnley for example - will play the same way all year and just sit back and frustrate. City, Mordor and Utd like wise - will just go after teams. Different teams set up differently against us, with some teams respecting us by sitting back and we have to break them down and others going on the front foot and trying to batter us. We have to play differently almost all of the time.
We play at home v the weaker teams we get time and they generally sit deeper (we exploit this
best by our most creative players playing at their peak).
We play the better teams, they come to win, they play more expansive, there are more holes to exploit but we have to defend much better to not concede (we exploit this by defending at the top of our powers and attacking well on the break).
We play away v weaker teams - they generally try to play much more expansively than away (we should play to our strengths and win these games which we often dont, alot down to the lack of character in this squad).
Against v good teams away we are likely to be under pressure alot - we must be v solid at the back/orgaised to the hilt and attack productively on the break.

Its not rocket science - every professional sports team has to adapt to different opposition/set of circumstances. That should be the reason they get paid millions a year FFS, We are no different to any other mid table team in the history of football - why make excuses.

Ancelotti, 61, was appointed Everton manager on a four-and-a-half-year deal in December 2019.

Despite spending 25 years in management, overseeing the fortunes of nine other clubs in Europe's top five leagues prior to his arrival at Goodison Park, the Italian insists he will carry on coaching for as long as his services are in demand.

"I will carry on coaching as long as I find a club that will give me that possibility," he said.

"That's the basis of everything, there are two conditions: that you want to coach and you find someone that lets you coach.

"Clubs continue to give me that possibility, so as long as there are these two conditions I will carry on coaching.

"I can't tell you now if Everton will be the last team [I'll coach], certainly I would like to carry out a long-term project with this club, not a short or medium-term one."

* Music to my ears Carlo, Music to my ears.

Ancelotti, 61, was appointed Everton manager on a four-and-a-half-year deal in December 2019.

Despite spending 25 years in management, overseeing the fortunes of nine other clubs in Europe's top five leagues prior to his arrival at Goodison Park, the Italian insists he will carry on coaching for as long as his services are in demand.

"I will carry on coaching as long as I find a club that will give me that possibility," he said.

"That's the basis of everything, there are two conditions: that you want to coach and you find someone that lets you coach.

"Clubs continue to give me that possibility, so as long as there are these two conditions I will carry on coaching.

"I can't tell you now if Everton will be the last team [I'll coach], certainly I would like to carry out a long-term project with this club, not a short or medium-term one."

* Music to my ears Carlo, Music to my ears.

Until The Esk tells him he's got no money this summer.

SOME OF THE ANCELOTTI PRE MATCH LEICESTER P/C

Injury update
Only Yerry Mina is back. Sidibe will be back Friday and Theo Walcott will be back in training on Monday

Baines update
Leighton Baines extended his contract until the end of the season, after that I think we have time to take a decision and wait for an answer from Baines. Leighton is an important part of this squad.

Anthony Gordon
He has to improve and use this period, where he trains with us, to increase his quality. He has a lot of possibilities to grow fast

Form guide
Our moment is not bad, it is good. What I have seen this week in training gives me confidence that we will play a good game tomorrow

Vardy threat
Ancelotti on Leicester: Difficult team. They are really fast in front, Vardy is a dangerous player. They have good organisation and they are having a fantastic season. What I have seen this week in training gives me confidence.

No lockdown concerns
We don't have any concerns. The Premier League protocols give us the confidence everything will be ok.

Leicester example
Carlo was asked about potentially replicating Leicester City's success in the future.
On form since joining: I have confidence for the future, not for what we did but for what we can do. We have a young squad with a lot of players that can improve their quality and confidence. This team can improve.

Luke Garbutt
Ancelotti asked about the departing Luke Garbutt and says: "Who?.
Quickly moves onto the next question after expressing his 'surprise' about being asked about him.

Carlo on Liverpool title celebrations
I think honestly this is not my problem. I am a person that tried to respect the rules, I understand that after 30 years the celebrations could be normal.

No Delph update
Ancelotti says Delph "still injured" and doing individual sessions. No timescale on his return yet

Good Mentality
Carlo Ancelotti says it is a good sign of the players mentality that Everton have kept two clean sheets since the restart of the league

SOME OF THE ANCELOTTI PRE MATCH LEICESTER P/C

Injury update
Only Yerry Mina is back. Sidibe will be back Friday and Theo Walcott will be back in training on Monday

Baines update
Leighton Baines extended his contract until the end of the season, after that I think we have time to take a decision and wait for an answer from Baines. Leighton is an important part of this squad.

Anthony Gordon
He has to improve and use this period, where he trains with us, to increase his quality. He has a lot of possibilities to grow fast

Form guide
Our moment is not bad, it is good. What I have seen this week in training gives me confidence that we will play a good game tomorrow

Vardy threat
Ancelotti on Leicester: Difficult team. They are really fast in front, Vardy is a dangerous player. They have good organisation and they are having a fantastic season. What I have seen this week in training gives me confidence.

No lockdown concerns
We don't have any concerns. The Premier League protocols give us the confidence everything will be ok.

Leicester example
Carlo was asked about potentially replicating Leicester City's success in the future.
On form since joining: I have confidence for the future, not for what we did but for what we can do. We have a young squad with a lot of players that can improve their quality and confidence. This team can improve.

Luke Garbutt
Ancelotti asked about the departing Luke Garbutt and says: "Who?.
Quickly moves onto the next question after expressing his 'surprise' about being asked about him.

Carlo on Liverpool title celebrations
I think honestly this is not my problem. I am a person that tried to respect the rules, I understand that after 30 years the celebrations could be normal.

No Delph update
Ancelotti says Delph "still injured" and doing individual sessions. No timescale on his return yet

Good Mentality
Carlo Ancelotti says it is a good sign of the players mentality that Everton have kept two clean sheets since the restart of the league

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.