Carlo Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time i hear Alcaraz i get the shudders and flashbacks to kiev

Actually felt sorry for him that game, should’ve been hauled off the pitch after their 2nd goal, looked like he had concrete shoes on “jumping” for that ball.

The issue for Ancelotti is not to get the chequebook and buy a new cohort of players, it's to develop a coherent playing style that may require the addition of a couple of names and the sale of a couple. Some squad recycling may be in order rather than full renewal.

The key here is that being in a permanent state of 'overhaul' is not a path to success. Neither Pep nor Klopp walked in and overhauled their squads and neither had immediate success either, which was fine in their contexts. They assessed their squads and grew over time. A more measured 'build' is the key to something worthwhile as it adds the important element of 'a journey' that everyone is part of and buys into.

Demanding a January bonanza will not solve what has gone wrong, it may actually exacerbate it.

Richarlison and digne all the rest don't get anywhere near his team's.

The issue is he is going to get loads of money to spend on transfers to build a team, something he hasn't done for 2 decades, he takes over teams with good squads

We can't afford to get it wrong again, if he spends 250-300m in 2 or 3 transfer windows and the team doesn't gel, we will be in real trouble and can't see moshiri staying if that happens either.

I agree, except that CS has never built a team.

If I’m being brutally honest with myself, I do have concerns over whether Ancelotti is the right type of “fit” for Everton... but it’s a situation where if a manager with that sort of CV is interested, we sort of HAVE TO spin the wheel and see if it works...
We tried the rest now try the best.
I too have a few reservations.
Realistically though how often have we had the chance to sign a recognised top level manager ,never.
We have to take the chance and hope he has a point to prove ,a chance to build another Milan side.
If nothing else no one will ever say ," Who are Everton " ever again

Posted in the Usmanov thread

I'm not one for idol gossip, but through a work contact, who has a small link to the club, I was told this early this morning. I wouldn't shoot the messenger.

Usmanov met Ancelotti first, before anyone else regardless of media reports, he is trying to sell the vision of EFC, what Usmanov wants, where he wants to put us and when. He sold the vision to CA of the new ground and also promised major backing next summer. He wants CA to take EFC to a new level and build a base as to when he calls it a day we are in safe hands and on the up. Moshri only met CA after he had met Usmanov. CA will be joining.

Now, again, I don't do idol gossip, it may be true, it may not, but just hearing those statements just brings goosebumps to my body

What kind of manager is Carlo Ancelotti? He considers himself the man for all occasions... always capable of finding a way
  • SAM WALLACECHIEF FOOTBALL WRITER
    Follow
     Sam Wallace
18 DECEMBER 2019 • 7:00AM
Save

Carlo Ancelotti watches on from the dug-out
At 60, Carlo Ancelotti has not had to raise a club from a low ebb since his first job at Reggiana whom he got promoted from Serie B in 1996 CREDIT: AFP

“There are times when I stand up in front of a full-length mirror and act like a contortionist. I twist my neck and I stare at my ass. My fat butt cheeks aren’t a particularly edifying spectacle, but that’s not really the point. I look at them and I think, ‘There are so many wounds back there, even if you can’t see them’.”
It might sound unconventional but this is the new Everton manager’s way of describing what it is like to live the life of an elite football coach. Carlo Ancelotti was describing pressure, or as he put it in his 2009 autobiography, an existence when that generous derriere of his is permanently “perched on the volcano”. “I live with the threat of being fired,” he declared of his managerial life and he has indeed been sacked many times, in victory, in defeat, once even in a corridor at the home of his new club, Goodison Park - but always very lucratively.
His former clubs since those early days at Reggiana and Parma are a roll call of many of Europe’s elite: Juventus, AC Milan, Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, even Napoli were a top-two side in Serie A when he inherited them in 2018. There are just three managers in history who have won three European Cups, and Ancelotti is one. Yet he could scarcely be more different to the other two, Bob Paisley and Zinedine Zidane, both of them in their time private, taciturn men.
By contrast, Ancelotti is the bon viveur, the gourmet, the indiscreet teller of the secrets of the millionaires and billionaires who own football. Throughout a playing career that encompassed the glory days of Serie A, and AC Milan in particular, he struggled with his weight. “I scarf food down like a horse,” he wrote, “and no-one is happier than me”. His parents were farmers in Reggiolo in the north of Italy, but they were never paid until the dairy they supplied sold the finished cheese which could take as long as 18 months. “The art of keeping your cool was essential,” he wrote, “and I learned it from them.

But most of all he learned from them his love of food. They tended to their pigs every day, slaughtered them in the heart of winter and then ate the pork for months. “No one ever had any problems with cholesterol, “he reflected, “in fact if you ask me they invented cholesterol later.”

Their son would go on to be the chubbiest member of the great Arrigo Sacchi AC Milan sides of the late 1980s and early 1990s and then one of the world’s most famous managers. But what kind of manager? Most commonly one famous for allowing great talents to express themselves. A cajoler, a persuader, a horse-whisperer for the delicate egos at the top of the game. He managed Zidane at Juventus, and the last great AC Milan teams of the previous decade. He worked with the powerful senior player cabal at Chelsea. He managed the Real Madrid of Cristiano Ronaldo and the PSG of Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He navigated the warring factions of Bayern’s boardroom.
Ancelotti sees himself as rather more than that, and certainly more is required at Everton. He is accustomed to inheriting one of the best clubs in the league in which he is competing. Everton are not even the best club in Liverpool and a long way from being the best in England. At 60, Ancelotti has not had to raise a club from a low ebb since his first job at Reggiana whom he got promoted from Serie B in 1996, earning him the Parma job and subsequent lift-off for his career.
Carlo Ancelotti celebrates with Andriy Shevchenko and Alessandro Costacurta

Carlo Ancelotti managed the last great AC Milan teams of the previous decade CREDIT: EPA
everton-fc.png

Ancelotti regards himself, like all Italian managers, as a man who finds the right system for his players. At Chelsea his double-winning team broke the record for goals scored in a Premier League season, finishing with an 8-0 win over Wigan to break Manchester United’s three-season dominance by one point. They won every game against who were then their fellow members of the big four. In a crucial win at Old Trafford in April, Ancelotti made the big call to leave the half-fit Didier Drogba, that season’s top goalscorer, on the bench. But in spite of that double, the Champions League elimination in the spring to Jose Mourinho’s Inter Milan seemed to shape the opinion of Ancelotti at the top of the club.
Indeed, in years to come, the sacking of Ancelotti at Goodison Park on the last day of the 2010-2011 season came to be a source of regret for the Abramovich empire – the moment it recognised that it could be over-hasty in decisions.
Ancelotti has gone from club to glamorous club since then, a coaching career spent working for oligarchs and tycoons. Another wealthy owner has hired him at Everton and, while he might seem an incongruous fit, he would take issue with that. He considers himself the man for all occasions, successful under all kinds of unreasonable owners and always capable of finding a way.

The new stadium will excite potential managers. Let’s be honest, Goodson Park isn’t the most salubrious of venues when compared to the Bernabeu and Allianz Arena or whatever it’s called.

Status
Not open for further replies.