Can we still make it to Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible yes, probable no.

I reckon we'd need to pick up 11/12 from 21 points to have a chance but even then Burnley and Leicester only need to win half their games to tie us if we got that many.

If we get hammered by City and Liverpool it's a complete no, players will be on holiday already at that point.

Our recent away performance blew that opportunity most probably but is there still a chance even a slim one? Or that ship is long sailed?

7 games left, Tosun, Rooney and Theo seem like in form, Big Sam may continue his decent-ish picks (for sure, has to leave in summer though) what do you think?
Europe? swerve for next season, lot of sorting in and out to be done before even contemplating Europe

I'll worry if the Toffees win either (both) the next two games against City & Liverpool.

But like quite a few on here think, finishing 7th could be a poison chalice for a club and getting a Euro place could be a disaster for Burnley next season (small squad, injuries etc).

Our recent long barren spell was mainly down to injuries (and a big dollop of shocking ref decisions).

We may be better off finishing 8th.

We could still make Europe, and normally I think most would embrace it of course, but we really don't need a repeat of the start to this season.

Especially as this summer is likely to be one of upheaval, we could do without playing competitive games of football right at the start of August, immediately after a World Cup.

...I don’t think being in the EL helped this season, if we are in Europe I want a team who are competitive and I don’t see us being close to that with this squad. Regime change is required, with a clear playing strategy and efficient transfer policy. It might be better in the short-term if a new Manager and DoF can work on a fresh squad without the interruption of a very busy pre-season and Thursday night games.

While the europa league is a poisoned chalice we need to learn to how to cope with that, else us challenging the top four proves a pointless proposition. What is the point of finishing fourth if we crash out the champions league in early rounds.
The Europa league isa training ground. If we can’t cope with that we will never build a squad capable of top 4.

Purely out of interest (I'm not convinced EL is what we need next season) but what happens if Arsenal were to win the EL this year and/or Man City or (god forbid!) Liverpool win the Champs League?

It's looking likely that a team above us (Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea & Leicester all still in it) will win the F.A cup & with City already winning the Carabao, I've got a funny feeling 8th might be plausible....

I read somewhere that 7th is the lowest you can finish to qualify for Europe - no matter what else happens. And 7th would NOT be enough if any of Leicester, Southampton or Wigan win the FA Cup.

Course we want Europe. The away trips are the only good thing out of this season even though we got badly beaten twice !

Look how crap we've been, only 8 points behind arsenal. I wanted us to target them this season, but we definitely should be next season. A whole season without sanchez.

A team like Burnley usually get a bit giddy at being so high this time of the season, so piping them on the last day wouldn't be surprising, there's still hope of 7th.

Regardless of all the rational reasons why we may want to just swerve it next season, European football is why you play the game

We need to be aiming for Europa at the very least. The long term pros far outweigh the short term cons

We don’t want our season to start in July when there is a World Cup, if we can catch Arsenal....haha I know and go straight in to the group stages then yes, but no traveling to god knows where in July

Status
Not open for further replies.