BT Sport Films - tonight 9pm - Two Tribes - Merseyside football through the 80's

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad is scouse, voted Tory as they, in his words allowed him to buy his house down in Oxfordshire....Personally I never went on school trips because they were expensive, nowt to do with tories....my parents were buying their home...sacrifice an all that.
My dad had a mortgage, he was a painter and decorator, didn't want to move his young family from Liverpool. He may well of done financially well out of relocating down south, but that's not the point about Tories, is it? They screwed this city. "I'm alright Jack", sums up those who vote Tory. I know voting Tory would save me thousands in tax due to my earnings, but I won't- the rest of the people on this island may be bells, but I want them to have working emergency services, and access to decent healthcare and education.

Oh, and by school trips, I meant day trips to the zoo, Wales ect, not skiing, ect.

My dad had a mortgage, he was a painter and decorator, didn't want to move his young family from Liverpool. He may well of done financially well out of relocating down south, but that's not the point about Tories, is it? They screwed this city. "I'm alright Jack", sums up those who vote Tory. I know voting Tory would save me thousands in tax due to my earnings, but I won't- the rest of the people on this island may be bells, but I want them to have working emergency services, and access to decent healthcare and education.

Oh, and by school trips, I meant day trips to the zoo, Wales ect, not skiing, ect.
That actually explains the hate for Tories really eloquently, probably the best description I have read on here.
I meant no offence Dr, soz if I gave any.
I dont generally vote personally and if I do, I vote green ...I think the main three parties are all liars and very little changes whoever's get in.

That actually explains the hate for Tories really eloquently, probably the best description I have read on here.
I meant no offence Dr, soz if I gave any.
I dont generally vote personally and if I do, I vote green ...I think the main three parties are all liars and very little changes whoever's get in.
I'm sorry if it was a bit snappy, that show dredged up a lot of horrible memories! Have a wonderful weekend, especially Sunday!

I'm having to wait until it gets repeated on BT sports later next week. However, if there's even an attempt to be reasonable and give fair coverage of the Heysel disaster then it will be a 100% improvement over the usual mildly embarrassed whitewash its previously received.

As far as I'm concerned they shouldn't be in existence as a football orgamisation and if it'd have been Everton I'd have turned my back on them the day after it happened. I dont care for the arguments that run "it could have been us". I resent that intensely.
There was some RS supporter who was chipping in throughout who said the the Juve fans started it and had to tell us that the terraces were falling to bits.

There was some RS supporter who was chipping in throughout who said the the Juve fans started it and had to tell us that the terraces were falling to bits.
Yep. That's the only part of the episode that I felt was unfair and biased. But coming from a fan, you'd probably expect that. At least none of the non-fans involved were claiming anything like it was Juventus fans to blame or that Juventus fans were in any way guilty or deserving of what happened. But yeah, that fan left a sour taste in the mouth.

Was born in ‘86, Hillsborough fell on my third birthday and my arl fella was a “scally” back then, dosen’t go by none of that CRC rubbish, just went the match in those times, wore the threads and transalpino’d all over europe and sometimes that meant getting involved in the skirmishes..
Anyways watched it with him and it was awesome putting visuals to go along with the stories he told me from back then and confirmation on the political environment he had decscribed to me

Hoghly reccomend incase anybody is on the fence about watching it, found the full doco on youtube

I watched a video on youtube last night which lasted for just over 11 minutes but do not think it was the full monty. An interesting point in the sub titles Brian Clough said that Everton team were set to go through into the 90s but the ban that knocked that on the head.

The way that Heysel was presented there was a 'kin disgrace. The only thing that came out that was honest was Lawrenson's statement that their club swept Heysel under the carpet.

That section on Heysel was prefaced by a general sweeping statement about hooliganism: "all of football was at it". Then the Kopite talking about the state of the ground and getting bottles thrown at them first and being provoked. Then rounding it all off with "the city's shame".

Utter disgrace.

The makers of that documentary have done a disservice in failing to document history in anything like an authentic way. Another whitewash. There's going to be people who'll watch this documentary down the years and think that was the full story...another Kopite hard luck story where even in an event when they killed 39 innocent people they come out of it as the real victims.

Oh, and by the way, the rest of it:

• Even when Everton are winning stuff it's all still in relation to what that 'kin lot were doing
  • The shower of Liverpool luvvie bellends
  • Lauding those scumbags Frankie Goes to Hollywood when that weapon Holly Johnson refused to get on a plane when he was offered "scum-class" standard tickets...yeah, real man of the people stuff that
  • A "social history of football in the 80s" that didn't even mention once that a whole community in Liverpool (its black one) was completely absent from it, kept in their ghetto, because they'd have been 'kin filled in if they'd turned up in large enough numbers at Anfield or Goodison. Didn't see that inconvenient truth crashing the "all in it together against Thatcherism" storyline did we?
Felt sorry for that Evertonian in amongst it, he was the only authentic voice in it for me someone who was real where his Kopite counterpart was a stage scouse clown playing to the camera...no change there then.

I'd put off watching that documentary and now I realise why: I knew it'd be a mixture of fair comment and fabrication...when it really could and should have been a lot more.

2/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.