Homepage Article Brands Renews Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mina, Digne, Kean, Richarlison, Hamez, Doucs, Godfrey, Allan, Branthwaite, Nknounou.

Theres 10 for ya.

tumblr_inline_paz48ckcHB1qb4yxs_500.gifv

Nkounkou...it's just nkou, twice.

Yes because of who we have as manager. Let me reiterate though Dave, I’m not 100% that we should have extended his contract by any means but part of the problem was the stinking pile of pukes left for him, Tosun aside (because of the injury) that’s nearly washed out. At least 3 of the signings brought in will likely be cleared out too in Kean, Bernard and one or both of Iwobi and Gomes as well as Olsen returning to Roma
If he'd been replaced yesterday we'd have all said about the new man: "He'll need time to get the crap left by Brands out".

Are you irked at Brands because he didn't delve into the Russian football market like your beloved Roberto?
No. I'm "irked" because he wasted hundreds of millions of pounds on tripe and we've 'achieved':

8th
12th
8th

under his 'guidance'.

More hits than misses and he’s getting better as he goes along. Obvious choice to keep him after so many years of instability. Had more than enough of chopping and changing.

It was pretty widely reported months ago that he was talking to them, with Woodward rumored to be stepping back from day-to-day but not leaving entirely. That seemed odd - United with Woodward looking over his shoulder seemed like a poisoned chalice. But it was possible that he was just establishing his market value.

It was always strange that the renewal contract sat and sat.

The story hinges on Woodward's stepping down having been in the works for a while, rather than being a reaction to what happened with a face-saving cover story. I'm not sure that I believe that.

But it would explain a substantial amount of otherwise inexplicable weirdness, and it hangs together.

Not saying that we can prove it, mind, short of the principals all admitting it publicly after the fact.
Okay, I hadn't seen those reports, so that makes slightly more sense. Your theory seems a little bit of a stretch to me, but I guess it's plausible.

*sigh* (Why am i going here again)

Who negotiated these deals Dave? Who got James Rodriguez on a free transfer? Who brought the Allan fee reportedly down from £35m to £20m?

Now don't get me wrong he's bought a few stinkers, Iwobi, Delph spring to mind but every club buys stinkers now and again.

You can't Say he's spaffed £250m up the wall and then say he never signed half the players
Equally, pretty much ALL signings have an element of risk about them. Rodriguez was risky in some ways, but he’s turned out to be excellent when he plays. Digne was a risk too. He wasn’t in the Barcelona team, he could’ve turned out crap, but fortunately he’s been superb.
I didn’t hear too many discerning voices when Delph was signed. In fact many said it looked a pretty decent deal. He had been a winner with City, had played well enough for England, was versatile and reportedly a bit of a leader. Furthermore, the price at 8 million didn’t seem too bad. It’s very easy to be critical once the player has failed.
Iwobi in my opinion has been the one surprise signing, although he was showing promise at Arsenal and was still young. The price was too high and he has been disappointing.
Brands has made several very good signings of young players too. I’m still hopeful Kean will be decent for us, ( if not there will at least be a healthy profit), Branthwaite looks good and the young French full back has shown plenty of promise.
I’m happy Brands has signed.

Very few misses, but the one horrendous one, was absolutely horrific, in Iwobi.

But I like the good ones and Doucouré is a fantastic football, which was solely his work.

Feels bizarre to consider Kean a failure of Brands, even if he never kicks a ball for us again its a guaranteed profit yeah?
It's not guaranteed until it happens. If we actually get someone to stump up the cash then great, he can go down as a partial success, but I wouldn't be counting that particular chicken before it hatches.

Status
Not open for further replies.