Homepage Article Brands Renews Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlo On Brands contract extension​

It's a good sign for the stability of the club. We are in the right way and I hope that we can grow quickly having a position in Europe next season.

Now what do you think Dave?

Cant get iwobi out my head. There's mistakes. And absolute calamities. Iwobi was a clear your desk moment.

I don't hate Brands but he's definitely been a mixed bag in the role IMO

I know this is an unpopular view and I'm not trying to cause bother by saying it, but personally I would have preferred us to see Brands on his way and start gradually moving away from the DoF model

Yes, I know the DoF way is seen as the "right" way these days in that all the top clubs use one, but Juve, Real and Barca are all swimming in debt and are hardly especially well run clubs, so it's not like using the DoF model guarantees success

To me, some clubs can benefit from having a DoF whilst others don't really need one, and I'm yet to be convinced that our club is in the former category

Brands hasn't done a terrible job IMO, and some things like James have been shrewd business on his part, but at the same time I hardly think our club would have been particularly worse off with him and we would have certainly been better off without Walsh

Thus far I'd argue we've had negligible benefit from having a DoF and in some ways it's been a clear negative

The current gaffer apparently prefers working in that system, so we kind of needed one right now and I guess Brands will do if we simply must have one, but I'd like us to look at moving on from the model when both Brands and Mr. Ancelotti's time at the club is over (which could be a while down the line yet, hopefully so in regards to Ancelotti)

He’s a DoF, not a magician. The first two of those finishes were under a manager picked by Morshi and achieved with Walshe’s squad.
Your consistent failure to acknowledge any legacy quality issues or financial limitations dulls the effectiveness of your arguments.

In and amongst all your nonsense, you do make some sensible points, but you are far too binary. Blaming Brands for Gbamin‘s problems, or calling out low cost loan deals for cover as mistakes, or blaming him for not selling Niasse destroys your whole argument and means you are just relegated to entertainment.
A magician? No, he's not a magician. He's a clown.

Cant get iwobi out my head. There's mistakes. And absolute calamities. Iwobi was a clear your desk moment.

Im not Iwobi’s fan at all. I did think though that when he had a run of games at right wing in the 4231 he played alright. Not 30 mills worth but ok. This chopping and changing of him at RWB then on the left sometimes doesn’t seem to help him. He has been poor though.

Can't wait for our annual summer photo of him in a tight t-shirt with a fan who tells everyone on twitter that Brands told them we're signing Max Aarons while Brands went our for a pint and some pasta.

I don't hate Brands but he's definitely been a mixed bag in the role IMO

I know this is an unpopular view and I'm not trying to cause bother by saying it, but personally I would have preferred us to see Brands on his way and start gradually moving away from the DoF model

Yes, I know the DoF way is seen as the "right" way these days in that all the top clubs use one, but Juve, Real and Barca are all swimming in debt and are hardly especially well run clubs, so it's not like using the DoF model guarantees success

To me, some clubs can benefit from having a DoF whilst others don't really need one, and I'm yet to be convinced that our club is in the former category

Brands hasn't done a terrible job IMO, and some things like James have been shrewd business on his part, but at the same time I hardly think our club would have been particularly worse off with him and we would have certainly been better off without Walsh

Thus far I'd argue we've had negligible benefit from having a DoF and in some ways it's been a clear negative

The current gaffer apparently prefers working in that system, so we kind of needed one right now and I guess Brands will do if we simply must have one, but I'd like us to look at moving on from the model when both Brands and Mr. Ancelotti's time at the club is over (which could be a while down the line yet, hopefully so in regards to Ancelotti)
Dont think we see alot he has done eap with the youth teams with the ban we had and the restructure. Which will hopefully see results. I dont mind the dof model aslong as the manager has the power aswell is about both working together,

He’s a DoF, not a magician. The first two of those finishes were under a manager picked by Morshi and achieved with Walshe’s squad.
Your consistent failure to acknowledge any legacy quality issues or financial limitations dulls the effectiveness of your arguments.

In and amongst all your nonsense, you do make some sensible points, but you are far too binary. Blaming Brands for Gbamin‘s problems, or calling out low cost loan deals for cover as mistakes, or blaming him for not selling Niasse destroys your whole argument and means you are just relegated to entertainment.
Nail on head, the other point that needs emphasising is that apart from one FA Cup win, it had been 30 years since we had been a force to be reckoned with and challenging for the league.
Moshiri bought in during 2016 and Brands joined in 2018. I will cut them both slack for any mistakes(which all humans make) as Mosh in particular would have been aware of the weight of expectation from our fanbase. He probably tried to rush the process of returning us to the top resulting in poor and rushed decisions

Brands has had to sort that out, find players to meet fan's expectations and work with a new Board which takes some time to become an effective entity meeting their responsibilities to deliver a credible business plan. Something that had been sadly lacking

Against that backdrop is it really the case that there is an abundance of talent out there who were available and better. I for one think he merits the opportunity to continue with the job.

Nail on head, the other point that needs emphasising is that apart from one FA Cup win, it had been 30 years since we had been a force to be reckoned with and challenging for the league.
Moshiri bought in during 2016 and Brands joined in 2018. I will cut them both slack for any mistakes(which all humans make) as Mosh in particular would have been aware of the weight of expectation from our fanbase. He probably tried to rush the process of returning us to the top resulting in poor and rushed decisions

Brands has had to sort that out, find players to meet fan's expectations and work with a new Board which takes some time to become an effective entity meeting their responsibilities to deliver a credible business plan. Something that had been sadly lacking

Against that backdrop is it really the case that there is an abundance of talent out there who were available and better. I for one think he merits the opportunity to continue with the job.
Spot on.

All of the above plus trying to rid of a long list of players, very poor ones, who were bought by previous managers and Walsh before he, Brands, even got here, a lot of those have gone, a few are going in the summer, leaving two or three more, plus to be honest, the one real headache he bought, Iwobi.

Status
Not open for further replies.