Blackpool 2-2 Everton. Saturday 6th November @ 15.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great thread.

Football forums are notoriously ineffective at persuading a side to alter its usual strategy on the field of play, but in this case it seems to have come up trumps.

Apparently, at precisely 2.45pm tomorrow Holloway and Moyes will walk onto the pitch accompanied by heralds, trumpeters and various flunkeys. The Blackpool manager will then formally offer his surrender to his illustrious opponent by falling on his ceremonial sword. Following 60 seconds of applause in tribute to the deceased Bloomfield Road supremo (RIP Ollie) a coffin will be brought on to remove his corpse. This act will be a metaphor for the quality of football in Blackpool. Dead. And buried. Literally.

The two teams will then play a 90 minute exhibition match - the result will be immaterial because we've already lost - and the Blackpool faithful will go home drooling with envy at the silky skills of the men in blue.

Highlights on MotD later tomorrow, when an eminent surgeon and hara-kiri pundit will join Gary Lineker to discuss Holloway's surrender technique using slow-motion replays.

Great thread.

Football forums are notoriously ineffective at persuading a side to alter its usual strategy on the field of play, but in this case it seems to have come up trumps.

Apparently, at precisely 2.45pm tomorrow Holloway and Moyes will walk onto the pitch accompanied by heralds, trumpeters and various flunkeys. The Blackpool manager will then formally offer his surrender to his illustrious opponent by falling on his ceremonial sword. Following 60 seconds of applause in tribute to the deceased Bloomfield Road supremo (RIP Ollie) a coffin will be brought on to remove his corpse. This act will be a metaphor for the quality of football in Blackpool. Dead. And buried. Literally.

The two teams will then play a 90 minute exhibition match - the result will be immaterial because we've already lost - and the Blackpool faithful will go home drooling with envy at the silky skills of the men in blue.

Highlights on MotD later tomorrow, when an eminent surgeon and hara-kiri pundit will join Gary Lineker to discuss Holloway's surrender technique using slow-motion replays.

negged

Great thread.

Nothing productive to say then? We have every right to be confident of victory. I don't expect it to be easy but we should be absolutely aiming for 3 points.

On another note, excuse me for giddyness but a win here combined with Spurs not winning at Bolton - a very feasible scenario - sees us in 5th tomorrow night.

Nothing productive to say then? We have every right to be confident of victory. I don't expect it to be easy but we should be absolutely aiming for 3 points.
Of course you should be aiming for 3 points.

Just don't expect to turn up and collect them without some kind of effort and a severe test from your opponents. My comments are directed at those who are expecting a 3-0 or a 4-0 victory. Opinions like that are easy to express but in practice they are pointless. If the team loses those people look like pricks. If Everton win by 3 or 4 (you won't*) maybe they expect congratulations from fellow posters for their predictive abilities. This attitude is pretty hollow.

*If you do, I'll be quick to return and offer congratulations (unless we have a couple of guys sent off). You'll have earned it.

Of course you should be aiming for 3 points.

Just don't expect to turn up and collect them without some kind of effort and a severe test from your opponents. My comments are directed at those who are expecting a 3-0 or a 4-0 victory. Opinions like that are easy to express but in practice they are pointless. If the team loses those people look like pricks. If Everton win by 3 or 4 (you won't*) maybe they expect congratulations from fellow posters for their predictive abilities. This attitude is pretty hollow.

*If you do, I'll be quick to return and offer congratulations (unless we have a couple of guys sent off). You'll have earned it.

I don't think any Evertonian is expecting an easy game mate. We've see from your start to the season you have a very capable team (including a great win at castle grey skull)

Chill ya beans will ya

I hope we play in Pink and they play in Orange. It will look like projectile vomit on the pitch.

76-0 to Everton by the way...

I don't think any Evertonian is expecting an easy game mate. We've see from your start to the season you have a very capable team (including a great win at castle grey skull)
That's the spirit.

Chill ya beans will ya
I'll admit to a certain amount of annoyance at some of the patronising comments made about our club, not totally across the board on this thread but certainly present in some measure.

76-0 to Everton by the way...
Is that half-time or full-time?

That's the spirit.

I'll admit to a certain amount of annoyance at some of the patronising comments made about our club, not totally across the board on this thread but certainly present in some measure.

Is that half-time or full-time?

Most people on here respect your team, your manager, your club and what they've accomplished. Me especially.

None of us think this will be a walk over. If we turn up and play our best stuff, then it could well be, but we would indeed have to be at our very best. In all likelihood it's going to be a narrow scoreline.

However, try and reciprocate a bit of the respect you're asking for. We're a good team, and we've been in this league for every single season since you were last in it. And most of the people on here are passionate football fans, that are pretty fair with praise and critique. We deserve a bit of respect too.

I'll admit to a certain amount of annoyance at some of the patronising comments made about our club

Honestly I've seen more positive comments about Blackpool than any other team we've played this year. Take a look at this thread for instance: http://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/31483-Holloway-on-Coleman

Granted, most of us think we can win the game (we are, most of the time, a top 6 club and we're playing a newly promoted side ... what would you expect?) but also that it will be a very tough game, you lot play good football, and it's potentially dangerous. However most (not all granted) I've read about Blackpool from here has been positive.

Don't focus on the negative mate -- there will be enough of that for you on Saturday. ;)

Most people on here respect your team, your manager, your club and what they've accomplished. Me especially.

None of us think this will be a walk over. If we turn up and play our best stuff, then it could well be, but we would indeed have to be at our very best. In all likelihood it's going to be a narrow scoreline.

However, try and reciprocate a bit of the respect you're asking for. We're a good team, and we've been in this league for every single season since you were last in it. And most of the people on here are passionate football fans, that are pretty fair with praise and critique. We deserve a bit of respect too.
Whoa!

Nowhere in my comments here have I disrespected your club. In fact, it's a fine model for others to take note of. As for the team, on paper Everton look pretty formidable - especially right now. To lapse into cliché, it's fortunate that games aren't played on paper because even I would be worried about what might happen on that particular surface.

Granted, most of us think we can win the game (we are, most of the time, a top 6 club and we're playing a newly promoted side ... what would you expect?) but also that it will be a very tough game, you lot play good football, and it's potentially dangerous. However most (not all granted) I've read about Blackpool from here has been positive.
I appreciate that.

Comments such as yours, and by others like you, are fair enough. It begs the question though as to whether or not any totally negative views should be accepted without question or challenged. Anyway, surely no match thread is complete without an opinion from the other side.

And to think, I only came on here to explain the lyrics of Band of Gold in the other matchday thread!

Whoa!

Nowhere in my comments here have I disrespected your club. In fact, it's a fine model for others to take note of. As for the team, on paper Everton look pretty formidable - especially right now. To lapse into cliché, it's fortunate that games aren't played on paper because even I would be worried about what might happen on that particular surface.

I was referring more to the defensive, even hostile, tone you've taken on the forum. We on here deserve a little bit more respect, because we're not dismissing your club in the slightest. Or your fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.