Big spending Everton,

Status
Not open for further replies.
What myth about Spurs being big spenders? The entire meme is that your owner is tight.

That's my point. The O.P's and others saying in this thread that there is a
"It's ok for Top 6 monopoly to spend without it being commented on but Everton are the team who get commented on" is wrong.
Everton are in the top 6 for spending, in both gross and net spend terms.

That's my point. The O.P's and others saying in this thread that there is a
"It's ok for Top 6 monopoly to spend without it being commented on but Everton are the team who get commented on" is wrong.
Everton are in the top 6 for spending, in both gross and net spend terms.

People forget Spurs are part of the “top 6” because you might as well not be. Never even look like pushing on and threatening the elite, even competing for a trophy. The rest of them though, it is true.

People forget Spurs are part of the “top 6” because you might as well not be. Never even look like pushing on and threatening the elite, even competing for a trophy. The rest of them though, it is true.

No, people do keep mentioning “The Top 6” but I do agree that Spurs should not be included.

Anyway, nice deflecting of the fact that Everton spend more than Spurs ;)

I don’t care if Everton spend more than Spurs. You were the one who made this all about Spurs.

No I never made this about Spurs, it’s about the O.P. and others wrongly saying that the “Top 6 spend more than Everton.”
Not true.

Of course they are and for example, Chelsea yet again this window.

Also the myth that all the top 6 spend big. Well Spurs certainly don't.
I haven't checked but I would guess that In the last 5 years, even though they have much less income, Everton have spent more on new players than Spurs and Everton also have a bigger net spend on players than Spurs.
Everton will also probably spend more again this window.

Spurs have earned about ~£200m more than Everton on player sales over the last decade - over this same period they've spent ~£100m more than Everton on players coming in.

Everton's recruitment in the disastrous 2017/18 windows accounts for pretty much the entire difference in the "net spends" of the club in this decade. Would hope that planned outgoings for this window will at least close that gap a bit.

I've always thought Spurs are fairly astute when it comes to transfers with the exception being the window after the Gareth Bale sale which was similar to ourselves after the Lukaku sale. Spurs have just had more windows to recoup the money from that splurge than Everton have had (and we won't recoup nearly as well due to age of some of those players that were part of that spending spree).

From the point of view of our fans, the frustration with the big spenders tag comes from watching us struggle to spend anything at all for most of the premier league era and now that we've started investing in the squad (for better and for worse) in the last few season we get this silly moniker. We're the team that had to replace Wayne Rooney with Marcus Bent and more recently John Stones with Ashley Williams - now every time we attempt to improve our team we get criticized for how much we're spending e.g. ruining football with the Richarlison transfer.

I know. It's nearly as sad as cryarses moaning about their football team getting mentioned in the press about spending millions of pounds lol

People get sensitive/protective with their clubs...understandable, but it can go OTT online pretty quickly as there's no "tone" to the written word. One wrong move and all hell breaks loose...same as it ever was.

Good post bobafro and even though your post has to go back an extra 5 years for to Spurs have spent more, it also shows that Spurs got more than £200 million more than Everton on player sales in that time and its all about spending money well.

P.S. We also know the pain, we replaced Dimitar Berbatov with Frazier Cambell.

Good post bobafro and even though your post has to go back an extra 5 years for to Spurs have spent more, it also shows that Spurs got more than £200 million more than Everton on player sales in that time and its all about spending money well.

P.S. We also know the pain, we replaced Dimitar Berbatov with Frazier Cambell.

Aye, it's a fair point - i'd guess though if i went back 20 years it would look even more favorable for Everton.
Looking at just last season though - Spurs had more than double the "net spend" of Everton, so you could make the same point about 5 years being a favorable window in time for Spurs in regard transfers as it chops out the post Bale splurge but includes all of the subsequent sales trying to recoup that money.

Not trying to make the point that our business has been better in any way, just that other teams have had similar issues to ourselves just not in the same period of time. And certain teams like Chelsea have consistently been spending large sums of money for much longer periods of time.

Anyway, it's all a bit arbitrary the market this year is not what it was 2 years ago - and the market 2 years ago is not what it was 5 years ago etc.

Think fans spend too much time arguing about this sort of stuff, and dopey pundits are always just starved for their next hot take with Everton's wastefulness being pretty fashionable at the moment. The same talking heads that complain about our spending are the ones that went crazy when we shipped Steve Walsh and Sam Allardyce out the door... think articles like this one just wreck folks heads because it feels like no matter what you do you can't win.

Best of luck in the upcoming season - reckon Doherty will be one of the better signings of the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.