Big Dunc - what a legend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phenomenal response that davek.
Just sayin' - I dont understand this belief there's a manager there, let alone a good one.

Point me to evidence that does suggest it and I'd reconsider.

Having played for Everton, battered a few people and delivering words in a dressing room full of kids isn't very persuasive.

If he wants to manage Everton, let him prove himself as a manager. There's no fast track to this job.

Last edited:

Have you ever been coached by him?
Have you been in the dressing room with him?
Have you ever spoken to him or met him?

I think it's a safe bet that the answer to all of those questions is 'NO'.

Neither have I, but I pay attention to what players say, what his fellow coaches say - both at Everton and other coaches who have been on coaching courses with him.

I pay attention to the youth team players at Everton, who adored him when he coached the U18s team with Sheedy (a large part of the reason they won the league last season by the way).

I pay attention to a coach so impressive that a new manager, surrounded by his trusted inner circle and enjoying an excellent season, promoted Ferguson to first team coach midway through the season in February 2014.

So yeah - he quickly rose through the ranks and has had ringing endorsements from all who have been coached by him.

I'll take that over some sneery post still clinging to a 20 year old stereotype that was incorrect in the first place.

He's a massive inspirational figure to a generation of Evertonians in the same way Dalglish was to LFC fans. He had no coaching experience when he took them over either. Actually Ferguson has a lot more than Dalglish had.

I haven't forgotten the great things Ferguson did to singlehandedly save our football club in 97/98. It's a shame certain others don't have the same long memories.

Last edited:

Just sayin' - I dont understand this belief there's a manager there, let alone a good one.

Having played for Everton, battered a few people and delivering words in a dressing room full of kids isn't very persuasive.

If he wants to manage Everton, let him prove himself as a manager. There's no fast track to this job.

I think you're a tad harsh their mate. Here's a question though, do you think there's any merit in the old locker room approach, whereby you look to promote from within. It's worked wonders for Barcalona and Gary Monk has done brilliantly at Swansea. I think there is a conveyor belt of managers that keep getting jobs (Southall used to speak about this). Could there be a role for people who know the club inside out etc?

I think it was a canny move from Martinez. He has worked with lots of the young players, and like Kendall did with Harvey I think he has recognised that and will serve us well in time. The counter point to the above argument is though, that with all due respect Harvey as a manager was a bit of a flop really.

I think you're a tad harsh their mate. Here's a question though, do you think there's any merit in the old locker room approach, whereby you look to promote from within. It's worked wonders for Barcalona and Gary Monk has done brilliantly at Swansea. I think there is a conveyor belt of managers that keep getting jobs (Southall used to speak about this). Could there be a role for people who know the club inside out etc?

I think it was a canny move from Martinez. He has worked with lots of the young players, and like Kendall did with Harvey I think he has recognised that and will serve us well in time. The counter point to the above argument is though, that with all due respect Harvey as a manager was a bit of a flop really.

Excellent post, especially the modern example of Monk at Swansea. Ferguson has just as much coaching experience at Everton as Monk did at Swansea when Monk took them over.

Excellent post, especially the modern example of Monk at Swansea. Ferguson has just as much coaching experience at Everton as Monk did at Swansea when Monk took them over.

I think some people have a presence. There is a bit of a merry-go round of managers in England. Your Mclarens, Allardyces, Bruces etc. They're not bad managers by any stretch but they are not winners and in all honesty they don't really care much for the club. I'd be delighted to be a Swansea fan right now with him in charge. A real credit to the club.

Have you ever been coached by him?
Have you been in the dressing room with him?
Have you ever spoken to him or met him?

I think it's a safe bet that the answer to all of those questions is 'NO'.

Neither have I, but I pay attention to what players say, what his fellow coaches say - both at Everton and other coaches who have been on coaching courses with him.

I pay attention to the youth team players at Everton, who adored him when he coached the U18s team with Sheedy (a large part of the reason they won the league last season by the way).

I pay attention to a coach so impressive that a new manager, surrounded by his trusted inner circle and enjoying an excellent season, promoted Ferguson to first team coach midway through the season in February 2014.

So yeah - he quickly rose through the ranks and has had ringing endorsements from all who have been coached by him.

I'll take that over some sneery post still clinging to a 20 year old stereotype that was incorrect in the first place.

He's a massive inspirational figure to a generation of Evertonians in the same way Dalglish was to LFC fans. He had no coaching experience when he took them over either. Actually Ferguson has a lot more than Dalglish had.

I haven't forgotten the great things Ferguson did to singlehandedly save our football club in 97/98. It's a shame certain others don't have the same long memories.
So nothing concrete then?

He celebrates goals dead good lad

So nothing concrete then?

Pretty sure comments and praise on his coaching ability from people who actually have a clue are 'concrete'.

I want the next manager to be a winner and have a presence, understand what it means to be Everton manager and play for the club.

You can bring in an outsider with a nice little CV if you want.

Bet Swansea are glad they kept things in house, with their own club legend that hadn't beeen tested as a manager elsewhere.

I want the next manager to be a winner and have a presence, understand what it means to be Everton manager and play for the club.

You can bring in an outsider with a nice little CV if you want.

Bet Swansea are glad they kept things in house.

Ferguson won shed loads, fair point with that one

The feller's got nothing to put on the table. Nothing tangible. It's because he is who is and was a hero to some on the pitch that their judgment is clouded on the subject. Monk was a player that took the job on after the manager left and was - unlike most caretaker managers - a limited success (he's done nothing of note, btw except keep the plate spinning, so we'll see how that one pans out).

I'm utterly amazed that people fall for this fist pumping, kiss the shirt nonsense and believe it's something that should make a difference on a cv. In reality the feller was a liability on the pitch anyway. His indiscipline almost got us relegated and he frigged off from Everton in a huff only to beg his way back.

Sorry, I'll stick to tried and tested managers, not some spurious hero who has nothing of substance.

Status
Not open for further replies.