Best players you have played with who never made it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Head of pe at the school I worked at 20 years ago, was once a very promising young goalie at Forest Green Rovers, (Richard (Dickie) Maycock) until he broke his neck in a match (i think). Word has it he was destined for the top before the accident. Obviously while recovering from that sobering injury he opted for a safer career.

Even in his 50s when I knew him he was the best keeper I've ever played with in 11 and 5 a side. Such fluid movement, balance, reactions. Also a top first slip when we played cricket.

Also played with / against a young lad called Jamie Redknapp at the park, jumpers for goalposts stuff. He never made it really, although he played for England, Everton never gave him the call.

I was a couple of years below Matthew Elder at school and remember having kickabouts on the school field with him. Played for the academy and reserves before joining Warrington. Now an academy coach at Blackburn from what I can find.

We all think we were better footballers than we actually were - the older I get the better I was!!
But who did you play with who you thought they have to make it and didn't?

I was always realistic that I was never gonna make it, despite dreaming of it! I was B-team standard at school & youth-club levels: right-winger with pace who could drive the ball into the box for forwards to slot, but if I ever came up against actual decent opposition I had no game.

I do remember some A-team lads who to my inexperienced eyes back then looked like they could go pro: no idea what happened to them, even forgotten their names loool

A lad I play 5aside with, great feet. Unbelievable strength....

He's actually a keeper. Currently plays for Squires Gate but won't go further. He's too old now.

Shame, because about 5 years ago we all booked to go on a lads holiday and he had to cancel it because scouts from us were supposedly going to have a look at him.

I also had a scout come to watch me and a few others when I played Sunday league on the pitches opposite bellefield. Unfortunately my manager was a .... And didnt start me despite me having a good record - I scored an injury time winner after coming on for the last 10mins....he left just before I came on

I was always realistic that I was never gonna make it, despite dreaming of it! I was B-team standard at school & youth-club levels: right-winger with pace who could drive the ball into the box for forwards to slot, but if I ever came up against actual decent opposition I had no game.

I do remember some A-team lads who to my inexperienced eyes back then looked like they could go pro: no idea what happened to them, even forgotten their names loool

This whole thread summed up

Trained a couple of times with a lad named Deiniol Graham... he was at Man Utd around the time fergie took over I think ..I was only a kid then myself... he played a couple of first team games before getting sold to Cambridge I think before slipping out of pro football.

I was supposed to play today in a charity football match as it happens which has had to be postponed due to awful weather...it’s a team of ex players from our local club and we are allowed 1 or 2 youngsters to play for us too... one of the lads due to play today for us used to be captain of tranmere rovers reserve side a few seasons back when they had players coming through like max power and dale Jennings.... anyway.. the lads name is Jay Gibbs.... he walked out on tranmere when he was refused a first team chance so the story goes.... he was only about 19 at the time. He’s currently playing for Porthmadog in second tier welsh football... such a shame... wonderful player on his day.

Trained a couple of times with a lad named Deiniol Graham... he was at Man Utd around the time fergie took over I think ..I was only a kid then myself... he played a couple of first team games before getting sold to Cambridge I think before slipping out of pro football.

apparently notable enough to have his own Wikipedia (something the editors are normally strict about otherwise we'd all have one):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deiniol_Graham

Jerry Withe, Norman Blackburn who didn't and John Rogers, who did. At 17 Jerry seemed the best.
And a fella from Dovecot Bernie Gillam who had trials with EFC in 82/83, they said he was 'too old' at 20 and a bit small at 5' 9" and 10 stone soaking wet...but if you can find us a 6ft centre forward as good as him, here's my number.

Guy I used to play with was a phenomenal goalie, Norwich and I think Chelsea were sniffing round him. Only problem was that he hated playing in goal and ended up making the manager play him in centre mid! Was a cracking midfielder but was something else as a goalkeeper, so he never went anywhere.

Joe bloggs. Lad in school who could beat everyone without breaking a sweat. Destined to become one of the best ever. About a foot taller than everyone else and shattered youth records every year.

Decided to become a dancer . Last I seen he was a back up dancer for Rick Astley

Jerry Withe, Norman Blackburn who didn't and John Rogers, who did. At 17 Jerry seemed the best.
And a fella from Dovecot Bernie Gillam who had trials with EFC in 82/83, they said he was 'too old' at 20 and a bit small at 5' 9" and 10 stone soaking wet...but if you can find us a 6ft centre forward as good as him, here's my number.

Think you missed your phone number off that post mate.

Stuart Rimmer,made it sort of I suppose,three games for us and a bit of a ledge at Chester,played with a lad called mark fleet,outstanding midfielder,everyone thought he was nailed on for stardom,jimmy melia took him to Brighton,i think it may have been his first training session he broke his leg,never the same player again.

Status
Not open for further replies.