Best Everton player you have watched in you lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.

I always struggle with this and trying to comprehend how good players were from generations when the game was different to today. Ask my grandad about the greats all the time but I try and ask him to compare them to players today but says he can't.
Your grandad sounds objective (often rare with old timers) but you should only really judge players on how they stood out in their era, so for example with the 60s fans, Ball seems to stand out as undisputed #1, so the debate may be who was 2nd best (Young, Wilson, Harvey, Kay etc) whereas the 80s votes for outfield best would be far more varied (Reid, Steven, Sheedy, Sharp). So in that case Ball stands out above Reid et al.

Generation after generation claims they players they saw when they were young were the best; if that was the case then football would be at its peak about 115 years ago.

Your grandad sounds objective (often rare with old timers) but you should only really judge players on how they stood out in their era, so for example with the 60s fans, Ball seems to stand out as undisputed #1, so the debate may be who was 2nd best (Young, Wilson, Harvey, Kay etc) whereas the 80s votes for outfield best would be far more varied (Reid, Steven, Sheedy, Sharp). So in that case Ball stands out above Reid et al.

Generation after generation claims they players they saw when they were young were the best; if that was the case then football would be at its peak about 115 years ago.

I mean, best player he says he's ever seen is Puskas and I reckon I shouldn't question that one lol

I mean, best player he says he's ever seen is Puskas and I reckon I shouldn't question that one lol
Puskas stand out a lot because he was the star man in a revolutionary Hungary team (but English defenders were so poor in comparison at the time). Di Stefano is generally regarded as the best player of that era, I’d say.

Status
Not open for further replies.