Best Everton player you have watched in you lifetime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite being of an age to properly appreciate the mid 80s, the absolute best player I have seen for us was Kanchelskis.

He was incredible for his great season with us before it all went a bit weird. The 80s team was excellent as a unit, and Southall makes a really strong case for the overall win.

I'd have loved to lived in the UK for peak Rooney arrogance but its Andrei for me.

I’m 40, so I’m just a hair too young to clearly remember the 85/87 teams.

In terms of pure unadulterated talent, James has to be up there, albeit briefly. In terms of effectiveness and impact on the game, Kanchelskis.

Setting aside Southall, as it’s pretty much impossible to compare keepers with outfield players.

I always have problems when it comes to discussions like this because I have been fortunate enough to witness so many great Everton players in my time I find difficult to separate them or to accord one the singular accolade of best.
Players I would subjectively put in my best list would be as follows,
Vernon
Young
Ball
Morissey
West
Harvey
Mckenzie
Latchford
Thomas
Southall
Heath
Reid
Sharp
Kanchelskis.
It would be difficult to pick a ‘best’ out of those contenders but if pressed I would select Southall because for a long period of time he was inarguably the best goalkeeper in the world and a privilege to watch in action.

Started going in '94, so I'd have to say Kanchelskis in '95/96. Must have been one of the best players in the world in his position at that time.

Teenage Rooney is no.2; he was incredible. Should have been our Gerrard/Kane.

Most consistent performer over a sustained period is either Baines or Pienaar. Both of them a pleasure to watch.

Is this in jest? Baines was one of the best LBs in europe for a decent run of time. Except crazy dave i think 99% of us hold him in very high regard.

Digne and Mykolenko show how rare it is for a left back to have both sides of the game mastered. The media have gone overboard about Robertson Chilwell Cancelo recently but none of them can hold a candle to what Baines did at both ends of the pitch season after season in his prime.

I always have problems when it comes to discussions like this because I have been fortunate enough to witness so many great Everton players in my time I find difficult to separate them or to accord one the singular accolade of best.
Players I would subjectively put in my best list would be as follows,
Vernon
Young
Ball
Morissey
West
Harvey
Mckenzie
Latchford
Thomas
Southall
Heath
Reid
Sharp
Kanchelskis.
It would be difficult to pick a ‘best’ out of those contenders but if pressed I would select Southall because for a long period of time he was inarguably the best goalkeeper in the world and a privilege to watch in action.
My god, always forget about Heath.

What an unluckily injury that was for him. Would have been right up there on a list of Everton legends.

Status
Not open for further replies.