2020/21 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know (genuinely) if you're thinking of someone else? I'm pretty sure it was West Ham that we were supposedly fending off for his signature, not one of the big boys. He looks the same now as he always has really, a really nice footballer who's capable of a great bit of skill and has decent movement and passing, but who's a bit lightweight and never really produces much when it comes to it. If he was on £40k a week i'd think letting him go was madness, if he's on £140k then it'd be madness not to.

I could have sworn he was rumoured to be going to Chelsea earlier in that window. Agreed his wages are too high for the value he brings to the team.

I think we should sell, he's not contributing enough for the wages and won't really help us progress, I just don't see the sense in the olsen trade deal. We already have olsen until May. I'd rather we got more money. None of it may be true of course.

I think we should sell, he's not contributing enough for the wages and won't really help us progress, I just don't see the sense in the olsen trade deal. We already have olsen until May. I'd rather we got more money. None of it may be true of course.
The rumour was that it wouid give us another loan spot in the squad, I have no clue, if that’s correct

You like many others though, are not really basing your criticism on any analysis of his actual game. Don't just tell us he's rubbish mate but tell us why he is rubbish? Honestly, I'd be interested to hear it (as long as its not eees too short!).

But why not recognize that many players especially those with genuine talent (surely you can see he has technical skill no?) could well yet be developed/improved under Carlo's experienced tutelage? Hell if Siggys improving is it really so crazy to imagine that we could find some use for a player like Bernard?

The problem with opinions like yours is they are so black and white, and you don't leave any possibility for the chance that just maybe, you could be wrong.

And honestly, you have clearly not been watching if you think Bernard has only influenced a handful of games. In this season alone he played about 4 games that I can remember.
One cup game he was highly praised and scored. One Newcastle game where he changed things pretty much like last night (and almost scored a worldie) where he came on providing us with some much needed creativity and bite going forward. One united game when he scored a fantastic goal, and another where he was pretty poor to be honest. But why do all the other players who were also poor in that game get a pass but Bernie gets crucified? All players have bad games especially in bad teams...

Where you to go back and read the match threads from last season when he was actually playing you would find them to be full of praise. When I watched him at Goodison last winter he received a standing ovation for his efforts and also provided an assist, performing pretty much just as he did the other night. He was very popular before he began getting dropped (and who knows the reason) then it suddenly became accepted wisdom that he was not good enough!

He was one of the few players last season who did well in what was a seriously underperforming team and as he showed the other night he is often a player (as his goal against united also shows) who will pull something out of the hat when the rest of the team is dire.

Try to watch him with genuine objectivity and without just looking to exonorate your own opinions.
Couldn’t agree more I’m astounded at how much criticism he gets, I get that he is on a wedge etc but every time I watch him play he does something useful and is far more effective than Iowbi, he is a great option for us and offers something different to a traditional winger that we have in Gordon, Iowbi, Bolasie ,he is a very talented player, he could play inside as well, I’d love to see him play where Siggy has played the last 3 years I’m pretty sure he would of been far more effective with assists and general play than Siggy has been, he clearly doesnt fit into Carlo’s plans so it is what it is, but the constant criticism I don’t really get.

As noted above, he’s far too inconsistent to justify being our biggest earner.

I’ve read things about swapping him for Olsen.
You really think he will go to Roma. He will never get the money he gets at Everton. The only solution will be that we'll pay half of his wage. Like we did with Walcott.

Couldn’t agree more I’m astounded at how much criticism he gets, I get that he is on a wedge etc but every time I watch him play he does something useful and is far more effective than Iowbi, he is a great option for us and offers something different to a traditional winger that we have in Gordon, Iowbi, Bolasie ,he is a very talented player, he could play inside as well, I’d love to see him play where Siggy has played the last 3 years I’m pretty sure he would of been far more effective with assists and general play than Siggy has been, he clearly doesnt fit into Carlo’s plans so it is what it is, but the constant criticism I don’t really get.
Very talented? Yep in a school boy team he would be outstanding. The guy is not made for real football. Let him play with the girls!

His apparent wage of £125k / week is always used to beat him up a bit, but he was a free agent. His contact over 5 years will cost the club circa £32m..... if we had paid £12m in transfer and he was on £80k / week, I do wonder if people would be more forgiving of him.
Still crazy money like but £80k if most likely just north of average wage for Prem players now....

His apparent wage of £125k / week is always used to beat him up a bit, but he was a free agent. His contact over 5 years will cost the club circa £32m..... if we had paid £12m in transfer and he was on £80k / week, I do wonder if people would be more forgiving of him.
Still crazy money like but £80k if most likely just north of average wage for Prem players now....
He would have had a nice signing on fee as well. Are we forgiving Gomes who cost 22mil and is probably on 80k.

For me it doesn’t really come down to the fee or their wages ( obviously it’s a big deal to the club) if they ain’t good enough, they ain’t good enough. And Bernard definitely isn’t

That's a fair point. At the same time, any agent will use Bernard's salary as an argument for his player. But the main problem is that he has not performed well enough.

He would have had a nice signing on fee as well. Are we forgiving Gomes who cost 22mil and is probably on 80k.

For me it doesn’t really come down to the fee or their wages ( obviously it’s a big deal to the club) if they ain’t good enough, they ain’t good enough. And Bernard definitely isn’t
May well have had a signing fee on top but equally I wouldn’t be at all surprised if his signing on fee is spread over his contract and included in that £125k/w.
Wouldn’t dispute he’s not good enough to be a regular starter, but he’s certainly good enough to be on the bench / squad. There’s also an element of he might be more suited to European football and might have been bought with the expectation of being back in Europe by now.

May well have had a signing fee on top but equally I wouldn’t be at all surprised if his signing on fee is spread over his contract and included in that £125k/w.
Wouldn’t dispute he’s not good enough to be a regular starter, but he’s certainly good enough to be on the bench / squad. There’s also an element of he might be more suited to European football and might have been bought with the expectation of being back in Europe by now.
How can he be good enough to come off the bench, when apart from one little trap pass to Doucoure v sheff Utd I can’t remember much else in 2.5 years.

Sorry but we need a lot better than him on the bench. When the the front 3 aren’t performing or ones out injured, we haven’t got anyone remotely close to their level, to come on and help the team. And this is a huge issue which need addressing in the next 2 windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.