2020/21 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Bob Dylan said don't speak too soon for the wheels still in spin.

Everyones an expert and DCL was the worst forward in the world apparently according to most on here just a few months ago. At the time that may not have been an unfair assessment either as after all, he was a striker with an apparent aversion to scoring goals!

What subsequent events have proven though is that we fans didn't have the full picture and that it can take a while for players to settle in and build up some confidence (especially if you've been dropped like Bernard).

I personally rate Bernard highly, believing he was a far better player than most of our players last season, outperforming the majority of them. He was the one player I really liked and I was pretty gobsmacked when I saw this thread recently.

I'm not arrogant enough to assume that I really know what I'm talking about when it comes to football though and hell, I was having my doubts about Ancelotti just last season! But that in itself is demonstrative of my own fickleness/cluelessness as we are only three games into this season!

These footie forms kinda remind me of gambling sometimes where stating ones opinion is kind of like a little wager which makes things more interesting, but the problem is after stating a negative opinion publically -just to be proven right- a fan can end up willing one of his own players to fail! It's not healthy...

Hopefully, as DLC did Bernard will prove his detractors wrong.

Of all the players I've seen in a blue shirt during my 30 or so years supporting Everton I can think of a lot more players deserving of contempt than Bernard, many of them in our present first team!

To my eyes, he's one of the few players we have with some genuine raw talent and god-given ability that could and should be developed. Not only that but every game I saw him in last season, I felt he gave one hundred and ten percent.

But let's wait and see...

I'd like to see him tonight in the same role he's been playing recently, I actually think he would do well against west ham and we will need his creativity without James in the starting 11.

He's been excelling in that role in the cup games but if he can do it well against premier league opposition tonight then it shows there is definitely a role for him as a squad player in that position for us going forward.

I think he can definitely do it.

I imagine he's one of several who are available for a move if the club receives an offer before Monday, but unlike, say, Bolasie or Sandro, he'll be in and around the squad if no one comes in.

I like him well enough, but his wages are ridiculous for a non-starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.