2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn’t even poor, in fact out of the midfield 4 he was the best of them. Think it was an odd decision myself.
He was getting bounced any time the ball came near him.
Typical Moyes tactic , he seen him as the danger and had him out muscled.
Carlo saw what was happening and sorted it , we played better in the second half once he changed it up.

He'll be back to terrorise Newcastle on tuesday.

It’s ok, he’ll have a good game again at some point this season and we can all rave about him again...he needs time on the Ball and he wasn’t given any today. Most teams don’t give you time on the ball, that’s the worrying thing

All the praise heaped on him a couple of weeks back was premature. Too inconsistent to be considered good. Good game, bad game is not acceptable. He was absolutely dire yesterday and deserved subbing off.

The problem is alot of our signings under Brands are like this:

Bernard
Gomes
Mina
Iwobi

Players who on their day can be great then the weekend after pish poor.

The recruitments key challenge for me is getting more Richarlison's who consistently put in at minimum 7/10 performances.

He was getting bounced any time the ball came near him.
Typical Moyes tactic , he seen him as the danger and had him out muscled.
Carlo saw what was happening and sorted it , we played better in the second half once he changed it up.

He'll be back to terrorise Newcastle on tuesday.
Excellent post.

Moyes knew he was our only creative influence. He also knew he is very fragile physically and simply bullied him out of the game in the first 20 mins.

There were 2 occasions in which he lost a duel but somehow the ball fell back in his lap which made his first half display appear ok to some.

Carlo isn’t fooled like do many fans. He knows he’s a one trick homer who if allowed to play on the 2nd half was more likely to contribute to a losing goal than gain us a winning one.

But if he plays well v a Newcastle team who have 11 men behind the ball on Tuesday he will be lauded as a ‘great player’ lol

If he had the positioning skills of pienaar, he would win a lot more free kicks rather than being shrugged off the ball. I don't see why he can't be just as good if not better than pienaar, he's got it in his locker

Wasn’t even poor, in fact out of the midfield 4 he was the best of them. Think it was an odd decision myself.

He's easily our best creative midfielder. When people say he has a 'bad' game with no end product this is because players around him are playing badly, are not finding spaces or showing for an incisive pass from Bernie.. Even Messi suffers sometimes because of those around him. Another thinng…Bernie works his blocks off every game,its not surprising he sometimes gets pulled before the final whistle.

If he had the positioning skills of pienaar, he would win a lot more free kicks rather than being shrugged off the ball. I don't see why he can't be just as good if not better than pienaar, he's got it in his locker
Surely you are answering your own question.

He is not as strong physically (hugely unlikely ever to be) as Pienaar; his positioning/game iq is nowhere near as good as Pienaar (never likely to be).

Pienaar produced going forward and covered huge ground to help his full back and the team defensively,

How has Bernard got it in his locker? He’s 27.

He is not as strong physically (hugely unlikely ever to be) as Pienaar; his positioning/game iq is nowhere near as good as Pienaar (never likely to be).

Pienaar produced going forward and covered huge ground to help his full back and the team defensively,

I didn't actually ask a question. I didn't say he was stronger I agree. I think his IQ is just as good in parts but like I mentioned his positioning when shielding the ball isn't.

Bernard covers just as much I think. He's got everything pienaar had and a better first touch. I just think he needs to be shown how to use it more effectively. One thing pienaar had on him is stamina.

27 is hardly fossilized. I'm sure he can still make slight tweaks to his game even at his old age.

Pienaar used to take stick on here for his lack of assists / goals, only anyone who had eyes in their head could see what he brought to the side with his almost telepathic relationship with Baines.

I think Bernard can form a similar relationship with Digne given time, I disagree about Bernard’s workrate off the ball and he’s an intelligent player who doesn’t just hug the touchline and rely on the overlapping full back. I like to see him coming inside more under Ancelotti as he can influence the game more.

Status
Not open for further replies.