2019/20 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's horrid logic really haha.

But I'm out of ideas. First touch is one of many important skills and rating a player solely on it is nonsense.
Obviously rating someone solely on it is crazy, but it’s possibly the single most important thing. You need to have other things too, but if you don’t have a good first touch you’ll struggle.

Mate, I played at a decent non league standard and when we played cup games against teams in higher leagues their first touch was what separated the teams. I think you're trying a bit hard to justify a controversial point that no one else in football will agree with.
Guys, let's not get into an unresolvable argument whether first touch is the most important thing or just very important. Regardless, it isn't the be all and end all. Having two legs is vital for a Premier league footballer, but I have two legs and been appalling at footie all of my life. Fair to say that first touch is critical, and very few players, certainly outside the back four, can prosper without it.

We live in hope but Digne is stinking the place out week in week out.

Again I don’t think Digne has anything like the game iq/understanding with any of his fellow players that Baines had.
Baines consistently knew when to hold the ball, play it inside, put Pineaar in or bomb on himself. Everything appeared considered and with intelligence.

For me even when Digne plays well everything is a bit rushed and just about getting in a spot to whip a cross in.
We could replace digne with a swinging house brick.

Obviously rating someone solely on it is crazy, but it’s possibly the single most important thing. You need to have other things too, but if you don’t have a good first touch you’ll struggle.
I remember hearing Pep say he only signed players who can dribble the ball and keep it under pressure. Basically meaning more than just the initial touch is important. Players need to be good at touch two and three and four. This is where even our supposedly good technical players often fail. Our fans seem to ignore that and always focus on the first one.

Bernards first touch is brilliant. Remember when he brought the ball down and controlled it instantly from Pickfords punt? His first touch gains him vital seconds on the defender and puts him in control of the dribble.

I remember hearing Pep say he only signed players who can dribble the ball and keep it under pressure. Basically meaning more than just the initial touch is important. Players need to be good at touch two and three and four. This is where even our supposedly good technical players often fail. Our fans seem to ignore that and always focus on the first one.
Yes as I said the first touch isn’t the only important one, that’s a ridiculous notion that nobody has put forward. If your first touch is bad though, you don’t usually get a touch two three or four. As has been said by others, you’re in a minority of one in the entire world on this one. Maybe just take the L.

Yes as I said the first touch isn’t the only important one, that’s a ridiculous notion that nobody has put forward. If your first touch is bad though, you don’t usually get a touch two three or four. As has been said by others, you’re in a minority of one in the entire world on this one. Maybe just take the L.
I'm not saying it isn't important. Just overemphasized. It's how you end up rating a player like Bernard.

If we had better players he could play more of a role. He’s about the only bloke on the pitch who makes anything happen anyway apart fro Sidibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.