2018/19 Bernard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will he be fine come Saturday? If not what was the point of paying all that money (he was a free agent but we paid a lot for signing fee) if he needed this long to recover? It is already september, we needed someone up and running, every point counts in this league! no richarlison, no bernard, no lookman, sandro will be loaned out, no winger to be found next to Walcott for the next game!

Bang right mate. If he was a horse he'd have been shot by now wouldn't he mate!

We may as well terminate his contract. Complete waste of money. MARLON BRANDS OUT

Minna and Bernard are on long term contracts and we have to look at them as long term investments.

Zouma is ready to play and it is really only Gomes who is on loan that could be regarded as wasting money when he is not available... but we knew he was injured when we signed him.

I think people underestimate how much continuity matters. Even though Bernard, Zouma, Mina and the rest of the new signings might all be better players than the people who we have had, it is probably better for the team if they aren't all dropped in at once. So Richarlison is pretty much bedded in and now we can move on to Digne and Zouma. Bernard, Mina and Gomes will get chances with time but it might be smart to give them more time in training to get ready.

I think people underestimate how much continuity matters. Even though Bernard, Zouma, Mina and the rest of the new signings might all be better players than the people who we have had, it is probably better for the team if they aren't all dropped in at once. So Richarlison is pretty much bedded in and now we can move on to Digne and Zouma. Bernard, Mina and Gomes will get chances with time but it might be smart to give them more time in training to get ready.
This, with icing on top. The amount of times I've seen sides at the start of the season try and play their 4 or 5 new signings from the off, and it gets untidy really quickly.

And Silva is no mug. He is planning longer term than just the first 6 fixtures. I expect 2 or 3 who started the first game wont be in the team for the second half of the season.

That lad at spurs, Trippier when he signed from Burnley, he went as being the fitest there, to being told he would be ready fitness wise for the spurs first team in four months time!

This, with icing on top. The amount of times I've seen sides at the start of the season try and play their 4 or 5 new signings from the off, and it gets untidy really quickly.

And Silva is no mug. He is planning longer term than just the first 6 fixtures. I expect 2 or 3 who started the first game wont be in the team for the second half of the season.
I can see
Digne
Zouma
Mina
Gomes
Bernard
Ricarlison
All being regulars come Nov / Dec
They were not signed to be squad players but were obviously told they would be central to the new manager plans
Wether they can gel into a cohesive unit will be the acid test

No way, let's get them all in and let's go champ

Us last season and West Ham so far this season.

I can see
Digne
Zouma
Mina
Gomes
Bernard
Ricarlison
All being regulars come Nov / Dec
They were not signed to be squad players but were obviously told they would be central to the new manager plans
Wether they can gel into a cohesive unit will be the acid test

I don't think people have really learned lessons from last season. Or at least they haven't learned some of the right lessons.

We threw in lads like Klaassen & Sandro (and to an extent even Martina) straight away for them to flop. The instantaneous nature of football now, particularly PL football means unless they hit the ground running they are done. There's very little way back of for them. Maybe Sandro and Klaassen would never have been good enough, but when you look at their previous CV's and consider how poor we were, even if they played to say 80% of their best they'd have been leading players.

Football is not a game of Fifa where you just throw the new exciting players in. It's an acute pressurised situation where if you are not at your best you struggle. You also struggle to make a recovery from a poor start.

To an extent Michael Keane was a victim of this too. He started ok, got an injury, played on through it at well below his level, the teams form tanked and so did he. Very few of the supporters have the nuance to say "god Keane did us a massive favour playing through injury". Most go "he's rubbish, get him out" and it must affect a lads confidence. There is very little to be gained from throwing someone in too early and subjecting them to this.

I have to also say, often the people who are calling for new players to be introduced are often the same people who are the first to criticise if they perform poorly and want them sold/the club held accountable for bad transfer business. One is linked (in part) to the other.

So yes I am very happy that we are taking our time with transfers. We have started solidly and few have done enough to warrant being dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.