Bernard is a 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure about Berni at 10 he could do a job. I think time is being slowly called on Siggy. If he has a subpar season like we witnessed yesterday watch what we do this next summer. I like him but really he is a luxury player. His unbelievable goals wil be hard to replace. So I stand neutral.

Been saying this since we signed him and people said he was "replacing Ross Barkley" and "he's a playmaker".

Spot on.

He's never been that and I've said it all along from when we signed him - like you.

Koeman wanted to use him in that role, but then signed about 93 others for it anyway.

But he isn't a ball carrier and never will be. He gets into good positions around the area and makes stuff happen. That's what he does.

Silva uses him as a second striker because he works extremely hard - usually - and that makes him perfect for that position in our team. He also has the added bonus that he isn't a midget like Bernard so he can put himself about to some effect. Bernard wouldn't be able to do that against grock CBs/DMs.

He's not perfect and it's not a perfect system - especially away from home. At home it seems to work better because we push higher up the pitch and the gaps are plugged.

With Iwobi we may have a player who can actually play 10 and a proper 10 if needs be - a ball carrier who can drive from deep.

Issue then is, we lose one of our only goal threats.

If you take out set pieces he's never been a top notch creative player. We are just starting to realize it.

Well not strictly true.

He isn't a silky playmaker who gets on the ball deep and makes us tick. But that's not the only way to be creative.

Look at all our best chances last season. He's involved.

If you get the ball into him around the area, 9/10 something will be created.

But, he's not a player who can make it happen himself (i.e. run with the ball through four players) because he hasn't got the legs.

It's very simple.

Not saying he's world class. But he's our best creative player.

Most teams play someone as a second striker. What people think a number 10 is doesn't exist really anymore. Playmakers sit deeper. They don't play off a forward.

Your #10, second striker, call it what you like, needs to be able to score regularly. That's why it should be Siguurdson. Bernard would be the wrong option because he offers next to no goal threat. The deeper midfielders need to create more too. It's as much their fault as Siguurdson.

Spot on mate.

Like I say, at home it's better. Our midfielders push on naturally. Gana was very good at this at the back end of last season and hopefully Delph, when fit, will bring that too.

Tbf, before Gomes got injured, he was pushing us on, but it was more a case of him having possession and then playing it wide, than linking up with the forwards.

He's not.

This is Sigurdsson at his best.

Note the second goal in particular. He doesn't demand the ball off Gana, as a playmaker would do. Instead, he's perfectly happy to let play progress and come on to the ball from behind.

He's a second striker. You can count the amount of times he's 'made play' at Everton on one hand.

Thought he played deeper in that match?

Bernard has played 22 minutes in the middle since he left Brazil. Iwobi can play the 10, or play Delph/Gbamin with Gomes/Siggy/Iwobi deeper in a true 433.

Thought he played deeper in that match?

Bernard has played 22 minutes in the middle since he left Brazil. Iwobi can play the 10, or play Delph/Gbamin with Gomes/Siggy/Iwobi deeper in a true 433.

Gylfi played exactly where he normally does in that match. Gueye and Schneiderlin were the midfielders.

We played 4-3-3 (a proper 4-3-3) once last season, v Huddersfield (A) in January. Gomes played in the central role, sitting back acting as a playmaker. Gylfi in a more advanced role to the left and Davies in a more advanced role to the right.

If they play a second striker, they normally play one or two creative wide players as the alternative. Like Hazard at Chelsea.

Personally, if Iwobi comes into the team, I'd be playing Richarlison as striker, Iwobi and Bernard out wide and Sigurdsson in the middle. Zaha would have been perfect but Iwobi will do to an extent.

Zaha was the main target cause he can get double figures in goals, before even counting assists.

It means we could feasibly drop Gylfi and not have to worry as such about a lack of spark or potency. But it is what it is.

Iwobi certainly gives us a ball carrier and a player with pace, power and creativity. Just maybe lacks that finishing touch - but at 23, there's room for growth.

Well not strictly true.

He isn't a silky playmaker who gets on the ball deep and makes us tick. But that's not the only way to be creative.

Look at all our best chances last season. He's involved.

If you get the ball into him around the area, 9/10 something will be created.

But, he's not a player who can make it happen himself (i.e. run with the ball through four players) because he hasn't got the legs.

It's very simple.

Not saying he's world class. But he's our best creative player.
Digne is our best. And I think this goes without saying but that's a problem.

He's not.

This is Sigurdsson at his best.

Note the second goal in particular. He doesn't demand the ball off Gana, as a playmaker would do. Instead, he's perfectly happy to let play progress and come on to the ball from behind.

He's a second striker. You can count the amount of times he's 'made play' at Everton on one hand.

Gana, there. That severely limited midfielder who was integral to two of our goals :) :drunk:

Digne is our best. And I think this goes without saying but that's a problem.

He's not 'creative' though.

He puts in really good crosses. There's a difference.

When Gylfi has the ball in the final third, the majority of times something will happen - either a shot, a slide-rule pass (loads of times last season into Walcott or DCL who fluffed one v ones) etc.

He's creative. He just isn't somebody who pulls the strings. Never has been, never will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.