2022/23 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still got hopes for him. He’s got all the physical tools and is still fairly young for a CB.
He has physical attributes and pace, things which can't be coached.

As you rightly say, he has time for improvement. He also, hopefully, won't be forced into playing unfamiliar roles as he has had to under so many different managers, all with differing tactics?????

He will be able to watch and learn how to play to his strengths with greater confidence which is being shown by the leadership qualities of Tarks and Coady. Plus, he might be able to form an understanding with one of the aforementioned CB's which is vital for a strong defence. Jags and Sylvin esque.

Not having to worry about leaving space behind him as has been the case with partnering MK or MH might also help his development.

He’s not a particularly outstanding defender, too many flaws in his game.
His poor positioning and a distinct lack of aerial ability have been a major disappointment for me.
I would be happy to sell him next summer.
Really wanted him to reach his potential with us, but I think it says it all that he's probably played his best football for us when out of position at left back. Who knows if that injury will hinder his progress, but it certainly won't help it. I'm not too sure who will throw £10m+ million our way for him, which may be a problem. But I'd also happily sell him or Holgate, plus Keane and Mina.

Then I'd buy Coady and invest any money in from sales into another young player who has a high ceiling of potential.

Tarkowski, Coady, one of Godfrey/Holgate, Branthwaite and one more would be more than enough for us. Could possibly loan the new guy out to help develop his game, but keep a recall clause in their due to our constant injuries.

He’s not a particularly outstanding defender, too many flaws in his game.
His poor positioning and a distinct lack of aerial ability have been a major disappointment for me.
I would be happy to sell him next summer.
That's the 24 year old central defender Ben Godfrey?

Absolutely perfect learning environment for him now, with Tarkowski and Coady there to mentor him.

Mina and Keane both nailed on to depart between now and July 2023... Holgate being a year older and with a vastly lower book value... That's three who will all leave before Godfrey. He's here until at least summer 2024.

That's the 24 year old central defender Ben Godfrey?

Absolutely perfect learning environment for him now, with Tarkowski and Coady there to mentor him.

Mina and Keane both nailed on to depart between now and July 2023... Holgate being a year older and with a vastly lower book value... That's three who will all leave before Godfrey. He's here until at least summer 2024.
Holgate has the dog in him. Key attribute for us now

Honestly forgotten all about Godfrey what with the excitement surrounding our stellar close season transfer incomings. Still has plenty to learn but he now needs to at a fast rate of knots and maybe he now has the players around him to bring him on...hopefully.

Really wanted him to reach his potential with us, but I think it says it all that he's probably played his best football for us when out of position at left back. Who knows if that injury will hinder his progress, but it certainly won't help it. I'm not too sure who will throw £10m+ million our way for him, which may be a problem. But I'd also happily sell him or Holgate, plus Keane and Mina.

Then I'd buy Coady and invest any money in from sales into another young player who has a high ceiling of potential.

Tarkowski, Coady, one of Godfrey/Holgate, Branthwaite and one more would be more than enough for us. Could possibly loan the new guy out to help develop his game, but keep a recall clause in their due to our constant injuries.

We would be stupid to sell right at the moment his value is lowest.

He was in the England reckoning 12 months ago, and for good reason. We need a bit of patience with him.

I certainly wouldn't be selling for less than a decent profit on what we paid. I'd like to see him have a run in the team alongside better centre halves.

Keane and Mina will go.

Never been impressed with him. Hate picking on our own but he's a very limited footballer with the only discernible strength being pace. Always liable to make a mistake and we are much tighter without him. Same goes for Holgate - and Mina and Keane for that matter. Tarks and Coady are far stronger and much better players. Get rid of them all if possible.

He was in the England reckoning 12 months ago, and for good reason. We need a bit of patience with him.

I certainly wouldn't be selling for less than a decent profit on what we paid. I'd like to see him have a run in the team alongside better centre halves.

Keane and Mina will go.
He was in the England reckoning because of his stand in performances at left back.

He has not impressed at centre back at all.

Keane and Mina will go.

Im excited to see how he and DCL develop under Lampard and in this team, both have been largely injured since he came in, I think he’s a good coach developmentally.

In reality his first season he was excellent, his fitness has been stop start since for various reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.